Your favourite cricketers from your county team

I support Somerset, Matt Wood would probably be my favourite. He's a local bloke and got into the team the hard way, by working his way up, through the local cricket leagues, rather than hopping in from another county or even country, which is the way it should be really. Plus he's a good player, I was even pleasantly surprised by his big hitting in the 20/20's in recent years.

I don't really know who else, maybe Trescothick although that's probably because he's got the highest profile, although he also is relatively local.

Matt Walker - Legend!!

And New Kid on the Block, Joe Denly.

Both local lads, none of these overseas players I expect them to be damn good.

STUART BROAD
James Allenby,Tom New and Jeremy Snape even though he doesn't play much any more.

From Essex I like Alistair Cook. 1) He has pure talent running through him
2) He worked up through the Essex ranks

and Ryan ten Doeschate because in my first ever live game (a twenty20 vs. Kent) he hit the ball straight to me which I caught, earning the temporary admiration from supporters around me :D :p

Being a Middlesex fan I'd say Owais Shah and Nick Compton.

I would say Billy Godleman as I do keep trying to tell everyone he's the next big star. The reason I don't is that he once hit one of my clubs colt sides for an unbeaten 140 in a 20-20 game.

He's scored a century for Middlesex this season hasn't he?
113* Against Somerset at Taunton, First Match of the season (Not counting a University Match). Couple of knocks around 80 odd in LVCC2 too.

Well I went with Denly as a current favourite because of what he's achieved this season. Jones needs to do a bit more work after the England camp wrecked his game then tossed him away. He's starting to come good again now he's playing regular cricket though, so could return to the top 2.

He's got two centuries this season hasn't he? That's not a bad return from a wicket-keeper who's confidence was most probably shattered at the start of the season.

Last edited:
Yes he has, I dont think confidence was ever too much of a problem, the problem was Fletcher's denial of county cricket's existence and his view that constant nets is all a player needs.

A coach can't teach a batsman how to read which way a ball will spin. He could make Ashley Giles look like Jim Laker on that fateful day against the Aussies all those years ago.

Jones needs to have at least 2 seasons of constant cricket at Kent to even be considered again.

Mal Loye - how he isn't in the England squad for 20/20 WC, only God knows.
Brad Hodge.
Steve Croft - from Blackpool, which is where I live. Brave fielder.

I'm going to continue this thread bump and say that Joe Denly is currently my favorite Kent player, I met him in Whitstable when he was 19 and signed my bat so i'm happy, now I have to wait until he becomes the best player in the world...

Users who are viewing this thread