New Zealand Tour of the West Indies - June-August 2012

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well he has his chance today. WI in trouble again and he has the chance to play the innings that Pollard did in the previous match.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Andre Russell is a legend. And he comes in to bat at #9. Time for a promotion I say.

Sahil 7

Panel of Selectors
again Narine was the difference between the both side 5 wicket haul for him :clap new zealand batsmen had no clue what so ever :eek:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
again Narine was the difference between the both side 5 wicket haul for him :clap new zealand batsmen had no clue what so ever :eek:

I would say that it was Russells runs that were the difference between the two sides. Even with Narines great performance the Wi couldn't have defended 200.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I would say that it was Russells runs that were the difference between the two sides. Even with Narines great performance the Wi couldn't have defended 200.

Ye Russell reminds of a young Klusener. Superb natural hitting ability and his bowling can be expensive but wicket-taking.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
The squad for the first Test was announced...

West Indies squad: Chris Gayle, Adrian Barath, Kieran Powell, Assad Fudadin, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Marlon Samuels, Narsingh Deonarine, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Darren Sammy (capt), Tino Best, Kemar Roach, Ravi Rampaul, Sunil Narine.

Source was Cricinfo, of course.

Gayle back into the Test team is good news. He can actually play some great Test innings when he's ready to concentrate and forget about his wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am reputation. I'm also waiting for the day when he actually bowls again. This was a guy who was a few runs short of being the first man in international cricket to both score a hundred and take 5 wickets on the same day, you know. He also singlehandedly invented the "I'm so cool I bowl with my sunglasses on" trend that too many others have picked up over the years.

Barath is neither here nor there for me. He's been injured way too much in his short career thus far to really move on from some good performances with the bat.

I actually see Fudadin getting a nod ahead of Barath. But of course I'm not the coach. Barath is almost a definite pick. I would have picked Fudadin, however. He will be extremely hungry for runs at the international level.

Powell...uh...yeah. He's good for some runs, but I really do have a few questions about him.

Samuels will never be forgiven for running Brian Lara out in the King's last international innings. But as far as batting goes, he's one of the best the team has to offer at the moment. He will chip in with a couple wickets when they take the field as well, although I think that the match referee should really get one of those super-slow-motion cameras out and take note of his angle during his delivery stride. Just saying. As a West Indian who cares. And a diehard fan of the King.

Deonarine has done well over the past couple of years, playing a few valuable innings and he can also bowl some off spin. Given the Caribbean pitches' tendency to offer turn on Days 4 and 5, he would be in line to bowl a couple of overs for Sammy.

Ramdin is newly married and might just be exhausted from his honeymoon (uh huh!) but I still maintain that as far as pure wicketkeeping goes, he's above and beyond anyone else in the region. The byes, leg byes and wides that he saves could very well be added to his constant offerings of teens and early twenties to actually make his real average around 40. Yeh Viv talk nah. Viv could never keep wicket as good as this guy.

Sammy...don't tell me anything about Sammy. The guy works his heart out for West Indies and I will not stand to hear ANYONE talk crap about MY captain. He is one of the hardest workers in the team, and for a guy who got 7 wickets on debut and has picked up more than a few other vital wickets along the way, he does NOT deserve the harsh comments being directed at him.

Best...uh...Worst, you mean. Yeah. His 95 last time out automatically selects him for this and the next 9 other Test matches in the future. Over Fidel Edwards, who several times blocked out his end to draw Tests. Fidel would exit having made 5 with a strike rate of about seven-point-one-five but having made a fifty partnership with a more established batsman. But Tino bowls for Jesus now, apparently. So he can't bowl badly, can he?

Roach has had a rest for a couple of matches. I fully expect him to be expensive early on, but come back when the ball is reversing and pick up two or three quick wickets. I just wish he kissed his WI badge everytime he got a man out, like he used to.

Rampaul will likely sit out a match in the Test series. It's unfortunate, as he has worked so hard to get back into the team and has worked even harder to try to stay in. Plus he's not that bad of a batsman once he doesn't decide to start slogging.

Narine...what can be said about him? How about the fact that he isn't effective unless the pitch is receptive to him? He definitely pushes the limits of the angle at the elbow (still), but to the naked eye he's just inside those limits. His variations on the Caribbean pitches will make it tough for the NZ batsmen, but once one person figures him out, then the world will know, and he might just fall the way of Ajantha Mendis. I think that when Narine falls from grace, Davendra Bishoo will be just ready to make his return, and personally I always preferred a top wrist spinner to a top off spinner.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Ramdin is newly married and might just be exhausted from his honeymoon (uh huh!) but I still maintain that as far as pure wicketkeeping goes, he's above and beyond anyone else in the region. The byes, leg byes and wides that he saves could very well be added to his constant offerings of teens and early twenties to actually make his real average around 40. Yeh Viv talk nah. Viv could never keep wicket as good as this guy.

In this day and age a constant offering of 10s and 20s is nowhere near good enough for a wicketkeeper especially the one keeping wicket for a poor/inconsistent WI team.
Yes he is the best keeper in the Caribbean but he has to score runs. Its not about potential anymore for Ramdin. Now he actually has to put up some runs and stop pulling out notes disrespecting legends when they talk about his awful batting.

Roach has had a rest for a couple of matches. I fully expect him to be expensive early on, but come back when the ball is reversing and pick up two or three quick wickets. I just wish he kissed his WI badge everytime he got a man out, like he used to.

I actually expect him to do well with the new ball. He did well against almost the same New Zealand team in the warmup match and going back over the years New Zealand have had trouble with express bowlers like Roach.

Rampaul will likely sit out a match in the Test series. It's unfortunate, as he has worked so hard to get back into the team and has worked even harder to try to stay in. Plus he's not that bad of a batsman once he doesn't decide to start slogging.

Ravi needs to lose about 10kg. He cant bowl a long spell at all, 2-3 overs and he looks gassed.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can't wait for the tests, one of the only times a minor team is classed as favourites and rightly so, in my opinion

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Perhaps...but the Kiwis did alright yesterday. Losing only 4 wickets in 90 overs is VERY respectable for a generally weak batting team like NZ.

Anyone been watching this? It's on at completely the wrong time for Aussies.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I am watching parts of it, when I am bored. Watched the last session yesterday,v nothing really special in the bowling ( I would say). Wickets were thrown away, Guptill should have got to his hundred if he hadn't attempted to slog sweep, McCullum hit the ball straight to the fielder.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Neil Wagner looks good for a left-arm seamer. Potentially South Africa have lost another quality player to the quota system here.

Users who are viewing this thread