Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Playing 5 frontline bowlers against a team we just bowled out for a combined total of under 300 last Test. Good move! :rolleyes

I don't mind it although it probably is not needed. Its gives us a chance to see how Johnson's batting works with more responsibility sinnce lets not forget he was touted a all-rounder in the flintoff/cairns ilk batting @ # 7 from the inception.

This is much better experiment that picking Maxwell & could tell us something about the future, especially with Watson likely to give up bowling in tests now.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I for one hope it works and sees success early this year.

Johnson at 7 in the Ashes would be carnage. :D

War

Chairman of Selectors
I for one hope it works and sees success early this year.

Johnson at 7 in the Ashes would be carnage. :D

Ha ye well yea for sure it would, even if he see's success, since i don't like the look of Wade as high as # 6.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I wouldn't sulk about anything getting the opposition bowled out for under 300 on this wicket. Siddle probably bowled a tighter line than Bird, but really struggled to make the batsmen play quite so badly. Everyone who got wickets today was helped by at least one batsman.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Bird is a pure class :cheers btw who you think will replace Hussey

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Those Coca Cola girls. :clap

Agreed! There was a blatant 5 second shot of a hot chick bending over and showing PLENTY of leg later in the day's play too - could hear s------ing in the background of the commentary box, and when Healy threw to Bill Lawry he admitted that he hadn't been watching the last ball - classic :D So the Tony Greig spirit of checking out the ladies at the cricket was alive and well :yes

But back to the cricket...my thoughts:
Angry is right, Siddle bowled the most consistent line and length (thank god for Siddle...), even Johnson had a good spell of it, but Bird is a guy I'm impressed with. I think he's passed Hilfenhaus on my list - he's taller, gets more seam movement, of similar speed, and most importantly tends to bowls fuller and on a better line. Only thing Hilf has over Bird is swing and experience - not sure that's enough for me. I think Siddle, Pattinson, Bird and Johnson is probably my best 4 for Australia right now. Starc not far off, but really needs to improve his lengths, Hilf in the same boat, Cummins and Harris would be close if they could stay fit. Starc has a lot of value though because he can reverse swing the ball, which is going to be important in India in particular.

Pretty silly, adrenaline fuelled call by Clarke to bowl first. He was hoping to blast through with 4 fast bowlers on a pitch that wasn't really that green, and is pretty dry. If Australia don't make 400 in this innings I think Herath will be big trouble in the 4th innings. And with only 5 batsmen playing, 400 is certainly not a given.

Slip cordon is going to be a big question mark for Australia going forward. Hussey in 2nd slip yesterday dropped one and is going to retire. Hughes has been 3rd slip and will go into 2nd in future I assume. Lyon was in the gully, but they really need to find a batsman who can slips catch.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Good start from Australia this morning. Warner now has 50.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Dilshan bowling before Herath is strange. The excuse can't be because of two left handers.

spooony

Club Captain
Cmon you Aussies. Hussey gone. Ponting gone that Aussie batting cupboard looks empty. Names and hopefuls but no one have proven themselves yet when push comes to shove. I am refering to the players coming in lately for Australia and the other hopefuls. Currently there is only Clarke and up and coming quicks. But stability in the top order is lacking.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Cmon you Aussies. Hussey gone. Ponting gone that Aussie batting cupboard looks empty. Names and hopefuls but no one have proven themselves yet when push comes to shove. I am refering to the players coming in lately for Australia and the other hopefuls. Currently there is only Clarke and up and coming quicks. But stability in the top order is lacking.

I can't say I disagree with you.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Warner has wasted a century in each test of this series now, getting himself out to foolish over-attacking shots. He needs to cut of this sehwag-like test match batting trait of his going forward or else the more he plays, high fast-bowlers class bowlers will pose much problems for him.

Users who are viewing this thread