1st Test: England v Australia

Yes and our point is that that is simply not true. I'm a cricket fan too and I can safely say that isn't true for me. Putting The Ashes above all other series' is an opinion, and a choice. It is not a fact, or an obligation. Once again, it is entirely subjective.

I know it's opinion bt he was claiming we said the other series were pointless and unimportantent. There very important but to me nothing compares to the Ashes.

My local optometrist has some glasses cheap, want me to pick you up a pair?

We never said the other series were useless (which you would know if you read). We just said that no series comapres to the importance, significance and rivarly of the Ashes. Plus we never said the World Cup is pointless (which you would know if you read), I just said Test cricket > ODI and seems the best test series is The Ashes and the best ODI series is the World Cup it means The Ashes > The World cup.

So what colour glasses do you want? I think red would look nice...

That logic doesnt hit with me. Ashes is played by two sides and no other teams are allowed to participate in it (fair enough!). But a World Cup is one where all sides participate. The format of cricket doesnt make a series more important than the other. The World Cup is the highest iconic series of cricket.

I guess England will get that spark from this escape, and surprise Australia at Lords (where England dont have a great record against Australia).

Yeah Howise is like 3rd top poster or something and there are others with over 50. Pretty good, shows that it is the best Test Series going around

I am?

How do you check that by the way.

As feeling_blue explained earlier Test Cricket > Limited Overs Cricket. So by that logic the best test series (the Ashes) is better than the best limited overs series/competition (ODI World Cup) ie the Ashes > ODI World Cup

If you still dont understand this will help

A) the Ashes are the best Test Series
B) the ODI World Cup is the best Limited Overs Cricket series
C) Test Cricket is better than Limited overs cricket.

Its easy as ABC.. 123 ...

My local optometrist has some glasses cheap, want me to pick you up a pair?

We never said the other series were useless (which you would know if you read). We just said that no series comapres to the importance, significance and rivarly of the Ashes. Plus we never said the World Cup is pointless (which you would know if you read), I just said Test cricket > ODI and seems the best test series is The Ashes and the best ODI series is the World Cup it means The Ashes > The World cup.

So what colour glasses do you want? I think red would look nice...

I get what FB is saying here, I don't know why everyone is having a cry about it.

But I don't get the importance part tbh. What your saying is that no series is as important as the ashes, well that just isn't true. I would feel any series involving the top 4-5 teams would be just as important.

As feeling_blue explained earlier Test Cricket > Limited Overs Cricket. So by that logic the best test series (the Ashes) is better than the best limited overs series/competition (ODI World Cup) ie the Ashes > ODI World Cup

See, this is where your logic is flawed. That the Ashes is the best test series is just your opinion and not some fact. It is really very subjective. For me, the India v Australia and India v Pak series have been lot more competitive than the Ashes (except 2005).

What logic makes the ashes the best test series in the world :p

What makes a series the best :

a) a rich and storied tradition dating more than 100 years
b) involving the best teams in world cricket
c) sold out venues (does anyone besides school children go to test matches in the sub continent)
d) revenue ( the Ashes grosses more money than all other Test Series
e) the fans (Barmy Army easily the most recognized, well traveled, loyal (we didnt burn effigies of our players after 06) and respected fans in the world)
f) its the Ashes

Last edited by a moderator:
I am?

How do you check that by the way.

Click on "The Ashes 09" sub forum, then where it says the number of posts in the first test just click on that and it tells you who has posted the most.

I get what FB is saying here, I don't know why everyone is having a cry about it.

But I don't get the importance part tbh. What your saying is that no series is as important as the ashes, well that just isn't true. I would feel any series involving the top 4-5 teams would be just as important.

Hmm I guess. I don't know, but I don't stay up to about 4am for a lot of the other series. I will occassionally but not day after day. The Ashes has this special feel about it to me, although the series against SA was just as important I thought.

Click on "The Ashes 09" sub forum, then where it says the number of posts in the first test just click on that and it tells you who has posted the most.

Hmm I guess. I don't know, but I don't stay up to about 4am for a lot of the other series. I will occassionally but not day after day. The Ashes has this special feel about it to me, although the series against SA was just as important I thought.

I was kind of meaning series that involved other top teams, like IND-PAK. I get what your saying though because I wouldn't stay up till 4 in the morning to watch England play the West Indies for example.

I mean not to many people would watch a whole day of test cricket involving Sri Lanka and NZ unless you supported them.

exactly, just look at how many non aussie/english folks are posting in the ashes thread. How many people do you see posting in the WI vs Bang , Pak vs SL thread who are not from those respective countries.

exactly, just look at how many non aussie/english folks are posting in the ashes thread. How many people do you see posting in the WI vs Bang , Pak vs SL thread who are not from those respective countries.

Have you seen Sydney Test thread. :D

Have you seen Sydney Test thread. :D

I would say the other four test matches will get around the same amount of exposure on these forums. The sydney test was probably just a one off, but I wasn't here so I have no idea.

Users who are viewing this thread