1st Test: England v Australia

I still honestly believe we should of chucked in Hilfy to one of those final overs. We overused Siddle in the end when we didn't need him most. Plus, what was with North bowling wide and short.

If you were such an 'Aussie' fan you'd know that Watson was injured. And Johnson had an off game. He can't always dominate like in South Africa.

I forgot about Watson, he gets injured always at wrong time :(

The Ashes are the pinnacle of cricket. More than the World Cup, more than any other nation. Every sport has its main event and for cricket it is the Ashes.

Pinnacle of cricket can never be associated with a series that features only two sides. NEVER EVER! Its the most popular series maybe, but can never be called the PINNACLE OF CRICKET! Only Australia and England are not cricket! There are other nations.

Well done England! At a time when we were talking about draws in test cricket, England serves up an entertaining draw. Whats this 'deserving' thing? If Australia couldnt bowl out England, they deserve the draw. Isnt that test cricket, which is said to be the pinnacle of cricket? If you dont lose, you deserve it.

Johnson has been out of rhythm since South Africa. However he will certainly get better with more matches. He was poor in the warm ups but .a little bit better at Cardiff. With the warm up match after Lords he just might find his form towards the end of the series. Lords is usually a draw too so if he improves there and finds his rhythm for the last 3 test, England are in big trouble. Combine that with the raw aggression of Siddle and the swing of Hilf.....:(

As long as he is consistently picking up 2-3 wickets I don't see why not. But we can't just leave Lee completely in the dark. Someone has to go.

As long as he is consistently picking up 2-3 wickets I don't see why not. But we can't just leave Lee completely in the dark. Someone has to go.

It will be either Hilfenhaus or Siddle. Johnson will play for sure. Now the question is, what if Clark and Lee both get the cut ? Johnson, Lee and Clark ... not bad. Now for the 4th bowler, Hauritz should be dropped for Hilfenhaus or Siddle. I think Hilfy will be going out in both cases :(

Have you been watching the same game. Hilfy was a standout bowler IMO. I don't see the point in bringing Clark back, sure his got a massive pedigree but why rely on that when he hasn't taken that many wickets in his previous matches. It's going to be a hard decision who to drop but Hauritz is going to stay, if you actually have been watching he wasn't all that bad. A full time pace attack sounds good in theory but in practical I reckon' it's too hazardous to try it out on the 2nd test.

Have you been watching the same game. Hilfy was a standout bowler IMO. I don't see the point in bringing Clark back, sure his got a massive pedigree but why rely on that when he hasn't taken that many wickets in his previous matches. It's going to be a hard decision who to drop but Hauritz is going to stay, if you actually have been watching he wasn't all that bad. A full time pace attack sounds good in theory but in practical I reckon' it's too hazardous to try it out on the 2nd test.

Lords is not cardiff, Where Hauritz will get aid. Clark is quite experinced and he can turn the tables anytime. If Clark is fit to play, I am sure he will play. Personally i feel Johnson to sit but for his batting power he is quite needed. Siddle can be lethal with his swing and speed than Hilfenhaus. As far i remember Lee was out of 2 weeks. Today, we really missed Lee :( he would have taken those tails with quite ease.

Check the replies section of this thread and see how many non-English/Aussie members have posted bearing in mind the first match finished today. Try telling me it's not that significant when you keep posting in the thread.

Nobody is denying its significance. I'm just saying that though it may be big, it's not as big as it being made to seem (by some people) to everyone. This isn't directed at you but I'm getting tired of the fact that some English members seem to state opinions as facts and think they can do so simply because they are English and are always right as they are the most intelligent people on the face of this earth.

This test match wasn't very gripping if truth be told. Only the last day. I only watched the first and the last day. I was supporting England so it would have been a little tiresome to watch the Australian batsmen spank England all over the place.

Hoping for a more even contest in the 2nd test and some KP fireworks!

Last edited:
Slimy slimy slime.

How on Earth did we not get 8 wickets? I fell asleep with Collingwood and Broad batting thinking "Yeah, no worries, Colly will stick there like that piece of annoying chewie that he is...but we'll get the rest out".

Nope. For God's sake, thats pretty frustrating, but at least we know we can beat you without rain. Just one more hour and the match would of been ours - thats what we have in Englands head now, physiologically they will be the losers from this. And we all know how well they go when we have the physiological edge over them.

Slimy slimy slime.

How on Earth did we not get 8 wickets? I fell asleep with Collingwood and Broad batting thinking "Yeah, no worries, Colly will stick there like that piece of annoying chewie that he is...but we'll get the rest out".

Nope. For God's sake, thats pretty frustrating, but at least we know we can beat you without rain. Just one more hour and the match would of been ours - thats what we have in Englands head now, physiologically they will be the losers from this. And we all know how well they go when we have the physiological edge over them.

Johnson was very much disappointing, he was busy bowling to Haddin than the batsmen. I think, in the end really silly captaincy from Ponting, when he introduced North. Hooper ..... what you say ??? We are missing Roy :p

Johnson - Wasn't his destructive best, but still got a few wickets, so he wasn't disappointing. His wides were a bit of a joke but, he needed to make the batsman play more.

North is a decent bowler, he has the knack of getting wickets, but yeah, he went with him for too long.

Roy? Who's that? He is gone. Stuey Clark is who we are calling. 26 wickets in the last Ashes, get him in!

Johnson - Wasn't his destructive best, but still got a few wickets, so he wasn't disappointing. His wides were a bit of a joke but, he needed to make the batsman play more.

North is a decent bowler, he has the knack of getting wickets, but yeah, he went with him for too long.

Roy? Who's that? He is gone. Stuey Clark is who we are calling. 26 wickets in the last Ashes, get him in!

Same here, i prefer Stuey Clark over Lee. But today, Lee would have been the definate key for us to wipe those tails. I hope Stuey will be fit for Lords.

Last edited:
Keep consoling yourself Hoops. It's, literally, the first game in years England have been happy with a draw. Usually, it's us failing time and time again to bowl out the opposition.

The pitch was so benign the English tail were simply showing the upper order what a bit of guts and determination can do. There was no assistance form the pitch at all. For the next test Australia will most likely go with the same bowling attack. They did after all take 19 wickets. The only questions which need to be asked were more to do with who was given the ball in the last hour. Katich should have been given a couple of overs given his knack for nabbing the occasional wicket. England only took 6 so they need to bring in Harmison and drop one of the spinners. Is Sidebottom injured?

Users who are viewing this thread