1st Test: England v Australia

If all the ashes series are like 2005 it becomes the most popular like u people said, but sadly because of England's great performance most of the time it is one side.So other than some crazy cricket lovers like us most people from other countries show little interest in Ashes.Most times it is so boring to watch only one team dominating an entire series.

Last edited:
But you still watch it. I don't watch India vs Pakistan anymore. High scoring draws on flat pitches.

You know it's popular when neutral supporters are trying to get in first to start the 2nd test thread.

BBC SPORT | Cricket | Ashes still the pinnacle - Ponting

Australia captain Ricky Ponting feels that an England-Australia Test series is still 'the pinnacle' of any cricketer's career, and he is honoured to be playing in his fourth Ashes.

England's Andrew Flintoff regards the Ashes as the most important series in cricket and once again declared he will be fit for the first Test against Australia in Cardiff on July 8.

Sky Sports | Cricket | Internationals | News | Flintoff - Ashes the pinnacle

Game, set and match.

If Ponting said that, he has spoken nonsense. Pinnacle of any cricketer's career? Would you let a Sachin Tendulkar play for the Ashes? Or a Graeme Smith? Or Chris Gayle?Apart from England and Australia, the Ashes is not 'the most important' for any other nation. I cant believe how Ponting used the word 'any' when he talked abt the pinnacle of a cricketer's career?

As a neutral I have to say the Ashes is the best test series. Even if the sides are mismatched, the tradition, history, rivalry and quality is always there.

If Ponting said that, he has spoken nonsense. Pinnacle of any cricketer's career? Would you let a Sachin Tendulkar play for the Ashes? Or a Graeme Smith? Or Chris Gayle?Apart from England and Australia, the Ashes is not 'the most important' for any other nation. I cant believe how Ponting used the word 'any' when he talked abt the pinnacle of a cricketer's career?

He's right. I'm surprised so many are disputing the fact the Ashes is the absolute top of any cricketer's career.

He did say it, if you would have watched the bloody video and read the articles you would have known, instead of just glancing at my post and writing your nonsensical tirade. Why would you even mention Chris Gayle in an argument about Test Cricket. Shows how much you really know about it.

Why are you getting so worked up about this, Saisrini? It's not like we've invaded other threads trying to convince everyone this series is better. If you don't care about the Ashes, stop posting in this thread. It's tiresome.

I think Football's better than AFL but I've hardly made a post in that thread because I just leave it alone. We're happy in our little Ashes bubble and your rants are falling on deaf ears.

ashesRIP.jpg

Need I say more.

Easily the best test series and clearly the most reconised otherwise im sure we would have seen Codemasters producing Pakistan vs India: The Game.

Easily the best test series and clearly the most reconised otherwise im sure we would have seen Codemasters producing Pakistan vs India: The Game.

Great point.
Pak vs Ind game would never sell worldwide, AC09 on the other hand, I have seen people from Japan posting in this forum to find out about it.

If they could why wouldn't we let such a batsman like Sachin play the Ashes. I don't see anything wrong with it. Just like Andrew Symonds or Brendan Nash being able to play for multiple nations. But wouldn't you feel disgraced if you were someone like Graeme Smith, Chris Gayle or Sachin Tendulkar to disgrace your country to play for another nation; if it did it would probably fuel a huge forum war here at PC.

This is probably going to be a never ending argument. It'll never be decided, in some cases opinions are biased as opposed to opinions based on personal likes and dislikes. But this is something greater than just cricket on TV and personal desire. It's like when Hulk Hogan took on Andre the Giant (Not the best example but lets stick with it). Not many people would think it's significant outside of wrestling (This can be referred to as the general public who have either heard of cricket or not interested) or to the 'contemporary' wrestlers (This in some way could be referred to as the subcontinent, as cricket has been thought to be developed throughout Britain and since Britain colonised within India, cricket caught on). Many people can now say numerous other matches (ie. 2007 Money in the Bank ladder match, this will be reffered to as the Pakistan Vs. India series) are also regarded as top matches. But the fact is you just can't compare the too. Their is just something, maybe it is the way we look at the 1900's as the glory days of sport/music/history. Or it could be that this was the series that made cricket as big as it is today.

Maybe Hulk Hogan/Andre the Giant wasn't a great example but try and bear with me. If you aren't aware for much of the wrestling world, just imagine that all the matches above is regarded as 'great'. But with that match, in some way we can compare that to the Ashes as the greatest wrestling match to ever occur and the greatest series to ever be played. It's just that the Ashes has so much more sentimental value which many others will just not understand or realise.

Understand my flawed logic ?

Users who are viewing this thread