Australia A & NZ A Tour of India

I'd have Tiwari over Pujara - he's a really good prospect for the future, and they should nurture him at this level.

He has been in very good OD form for a little while now though and does perform in the Deodhar Trophy, not just against the minnow states.
2007/8: 120 runs at 40.00. Strike rate of 84.50
2006/7: 166 runs at 53.33. Strike rate of 79.42

Just the 17 OD games under his belt and he did make the tour to Israel. He is probably a season or three away from being a real option, but his selection for Israel shows that he is not being ignored.

Didn't know his stats were that good, but I still don't think he'll ever be an international mainstay in ODIs. Not to take anything away from Jaffer - great batsman, but I don't see him in ODIs. However if he continues with such form he could warrant for a place but with our selectors seemingly blinded by youth, they might choose to go with that.

Israel? I'd like to see him against a stronger A team really. He did top score for India in that match too I think.

Dhawal Kulkarni? Argh, didn't they take him to the Emerging Players tournament too? Not a good choice. I like Tyagi's inclusion though - definetely in the first 11 for me. Parmar is a player I've heard a lot of good things about, and he's looked good the last season, albeit playing in the lower division I think.

No Tiwary? Well he didn't have a cracker of a domestic season like two seasons ago...but, it was still better than Uthappa I'd think and a lot of other batsmen. If they include him in the ODIs, they're ruining yet another player imo. He hasn't done anything in ODIs domestically to justify a place for the ODI A Team.

Hope Pujara and Rahane have good series, and Badri does something to show the selectors that it's time for some changing in the Test team.

Australia A squad review

Simon Katich (Captain): Hugely experienced and could slot anywhere in the batting order. Will be dangerous because India will provide ideal conditions for his wristy strokeplay.

Adam Voges (VC): Also very wristy, his career average a shade under 40 doesn't quite do his ability justice. A big figure in limited overs cricket, where his attacking game comes into its own.

George Bailey: Still not yet at the peak of his game, but a powerful batsman with big shots. Might have been a lucky one in that Luke Pomersbach would also have been a contender for the same reasons.

Doug Bollinger: A tall left armer, has good pace and bounce and became the bowler to watch last season.

Beau Casson: The left arm wrist spinning all-rounder climbed to the top of the tree earlier in the year, but might not be the best spinner in this team.

Peter Forrest: Highly rated but inexperienced young batsman. Inconsistent last season, combining a range of low scores with an innings of 177. Joined the AIS team on a scholarship over winter and racked up some more scores against the young players from around the world.

Ryan Harris: A useful workhorse and lower order batsman, but might not be a first run player in sub-continental conditions.

Phillip Hughes: The wonderboy, a left handed opening batsman and Australia's youngest first class cricketer since Michael Clarke. Probably has better technique, too.

Jason Krejza: Off-spinning all-rounder, not a lot to worry about going on record, but a dusty pitch might be a whole new ball game.

Bryce McGain: A latecomer at the top, but proving a very noticeable leg spinner, the highlight being good variations.

Marcus North: I've been known to hate him, but he's unlikely to be troubled by conditions and his qualities might see him used up the order. Has been averaging 50 in the past 5 Australian seasons, with a knee injury hampering him in recent times.

Ashley Noffke: Became the unstoppable force in first class cricket, scoring 700+ runs and taking 50+ wickets in 10 matches last season. Tall and accurate, he was touted as the next Glenn McGrath before injuries took their toll. Nevertheless at 31, there is still time left.

Luke Ronchi: Attacking keeper-batsman of the Gilchristian order, made a splash in the Caribbean with a flashy 50 against the West Indies. Very unorthodox and fun to watch, while also being a very safe pair of gloves.

Peter Siddle: Young and strong pace bowler, plenty of strike power and might already have made higher honours, but injuries have been his impedance.

Why do you hate North? From what I've seen of him for Gloucs, he's a quality player.

He was a bit overrated as a young player, I felt he tended to not get hundreds unless the pitch was very good for batting and I also tend to think he's still not quite top class in one-dayers. Back in the early 00s though, it was a time when WA had stacks of players that were worth a spot. In truth, they probably still do, just not players as experienced as Martyn, Gilchrist, Langer or Murray Goodwin. It was like they had an entire AIS type side sitting underneath the best XI. Like I said though, he's scored a lot of runs now, hard not to respect it.

A question though, should we incorporate the NZ A tour into this thread? Indian interest might be enough to keep two A tour threads running, but it might be easier to manage, especially for the tri-series.

Does anyone know if there will be any TV coverage from NEO Cricket in this series?

A question though, should we incorporate the NZ A tour into this thread? Indian interest might be enough to keep two A tour threads running, but it might be easier to manage, especially for the tri-series.

May as well, if you can get me their fixtures I can add it to the first post and rename the thread.

It's important to note that both those averages of Jaffer came from 3 innings (or 3 dismissal). That is hardly something to judge a guy's OD form by. By that yardstick Suresh Raina might've been ODI's Bradman during the Asia Cup.

As for your line-up, manee, Pujara is batting way too low. He should be at number 3 or 4.

I can't believe Aakash Chopra isn't included in this India A outfit. It would be the perfect place to start the ressurection of his career.

I think the selectors are to much obsessed by the idea of youngsters in the team instead of haveing the best 15 at the given point - it's silly, really.

You would play Rahane ahead of Uthappa? Completely ridiculous, in my eyes, Robin is more than average in FC games.

His average of 39.96 begs to differ; unless you have something to discredit that statistic.

Well, his average is hardly ever going to that high because of the way he plays, but in his golden year when he got more runs than Tiwary in his golden year (albeit with more innings' :P), Robin's strike rate was like 80, compared to all the others hovering around 40-50, I means that's pretty special for a whole season with so many runs.

Plus, last season was terrible for him, and it did muck up his average a bit.

Well, his average is hardly ever going to that high because of the way he plays, but in his golden year when he got more runs than Tiwary in his golden year (albeit with more innings' :P), Robin's strike rate was like 80, compared to all the others hovering around 40-50, I means that's pretty special for a whole season with so many runs.

Strike rate means nothing to me in terms of FC/Test cricket, especially since you'd probably rather your opener bat more time rather than less.

Then yeah, he's nothing special to you, lol. I still believe Robin has the ability to be a good FC player, he just needs to mature and play bigger innings' more often, as well as converting his fifties more.

On the promise he has shown already, well before last season anyway, he had 3 consistent-ish series' for Karnataka, plus maturity and mental prowess will come with age, and the talent is rather obvious in the guy, he just needs to convert the talent into consistent performances and I see no reason why he can't be a good FC player.

Users who are viewing this thread