Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
Being a little harsh on Hoggard Ollie, he's really not that bad, and could still stake a possible claim for a Test spot if Sidey gets injured again, but Jimmy is certainly not the man that should make way for Hoggard if he was to come back in.

Sorry Dan, but I really don't think he is very good. He was in his prime but he's well past it now. Is he injured because he isn't in the yorkshire team?

He has been in the Yorkshire team, he's just not been playing OD cricket, as he's never been a great OD player. He's taken 11 wickets at 26 in the Championship this season. The thought is that he's lost a little bit of nip off the pitch, even though the speed guns are reading the same, but he's still a very effective bowler, just there are now better swing bowlers out there. Anderson and Sidebottom are certainly far ahead of Hoggard as far as that goes, but if an injury occures I can see no reason why we wouldn't turn to him, he's a better bowler than Bresnan, Pattinson and Amjad.

Anyone who thinks that Anderson should be taken out of the side for Hoggard has reason enough to have his knowledge about English cricket questioned.

Ya Hoggard sucks, just because he has awesome record in subcontinent. He took 50 wickets there with average of 28 which only a conventional swing bowlers can achieve. Also Hoggard has 70 times dismissed either of opener with average of 19 which you expect from your opening bowlers. Now come to main point, since Australia have many left handers one should know that Hoggard is one of the best bowler to bowl to a left hander. He got left handers 91 times with only average of 18 which it self is a record. And last not the least still you are going to go for Anderson just because he is legend. ok then i can see the exit.

Anderson... Pfft, do we need to punish him again? I'm sick of feeling sorry for the poor bloke. Every batsman we've had likes to belt this showpony around. He is mentally scarred and scared of Australian batsman.

Lol i'd prefer Hoggard left out of the side. Swing bowling is proving to be a problem with our batsman. To be honest i'd rather see Hoggard in over Broad. Broad has potential but as twenty20 proved his balls haven't hardened up yet. Still a bit of a soft c***. If he can't handle twenty20 what chance does he have with gruelling test cricket? Anderson has hit a purple patch. Funnily enough his hair hasn't changed. Can he only have one look? And what's with tranny? He only yells at Monty these days...

Broad has potential, no doubt. He is improving with every game. Also the factor is that he adds lots of intensity in pace attack, i don't think it is good idea to drop him. He would be in my playing 11 any day, in any format of the game. I know he will finish his carrier as good test bowler. It just he needs time. Still if Australia are going to have more than 5 left handers in playing side then i would go for either Sidebottom or Hoggard.

England are worried that key top order batsman Kevin Pietersen may struggle to be fit for this season's Ashes.
The ex-England captain was ruled out shortly before the start of the side's humbling four-wicket loss to the Netherlands in Friday's opening match of the ICC World Twenty20 at Lord's with a recurrence of the injury he first sustained in the Caribbean earlier this year.

Pietersen has undergone an injection in a bid to make sure the South Africa born shotmaker is fit for England's match against Pakistan at the Oval on Sunday - a game they effectively have to win if they are to get through to the Super Eight second stage of the World Twenty20.

But England coach Andy Flower believes Pietersen may need several months rest to regain full fitness - and if that is the case he would miss the first Ashes opener in Cardiff starting on July 8 and possibly the entire Test series as well.

Pietersen may miss Ashes - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

If hes out the English could be in big trouble. Hes the one guy that can take a match away from us in a session.

It would be massive if he is out injured, even for one or two matches. The England team is relying on Pietersen and Flintoff to have a chance in this series. Without them, England pretty much have no chance.

I wouldn't go that far. England are well and truly capable of beating Australia without them.

Pietersen will be fine for the Ashes anyway. In the game against the Netherlands, it said he wasn't playing because he woke up with "stiffness".

EDIT: Wow, on reflection that sounds incredibly dirty.

In the game against the Netherlands, it said he wasn't playing because he woke up with "stiffness".

If you you've seen his wife you'd know why he wakes up with stiffness. I certainly would.

But anyway KP is not missing the Ashes. It's just the news outlets making a meal out of it.

Australia should know all about being second. That's where they were in the test rankings after the saffers turning them over at home...
We were actually never officially second Colin - we won the last test, remember?

aus5892 added 1 Minutes and 14 Seconds later...

I wouldn't go that far. England are well and truly capable of beating Australia without them.

Pietersen will be fine for the Ashes anyway. In the game against the Netherlands, it said he wasn't playing because he woke up with "stiffness".

They're pretty much no chance with them anyway, I'd put my house on them losing it if they lose even one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread