Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ponting is going to remain captain, geez. Why would they give the captaincy to Warne, If they are going to let Ponting keep the one day team, anyway.

The_gas said:
Well said, we have claerly out played them in the last three tests. This shows imo that England are becomming a better team than Australia. A win or draw at the oval will emphasise this more.
On the contrary, it says a lot that you appear to have clearly dominated the last three tests for a 2 run win, a 3 wicket win and a draw. Ridiculous to claim you're a better team because we've had one series where we haven't played well. For the record, we're still favourites for the fifth Test.

Punter said:
Ponting indicated that Australia were reluctant to make any changes to their batting line-up.... "I can't see that happening, to be honest," he said.
That's the only thing that's disappointed me really, the selectors refusal to make changes

Pointing will stay captain.

I dont really think England outplayed australia this test. they batted well to get 477 but the decisions which went against australia early in the innings put a lot of pressure on them and they did do well to get over 200 after being 99-5.

BUt i guess thats life. The thing i would be worried about if i were an England fan would be that England seem to start very well and get their oponents on the back foot but cant finish the job. I know there is a lot of pressure involved but they should be used to that (hoggard and giles did welll to handle it) so why not the top order.

I think the Edgebaston and Old Trafford should have gone to England but a fair result of this one would have been a tie.

Im not trying to whine for the aussies about the decisions but the jones edge, the flintoff lbw, pointing lbw, martyn lbw, and katich really cost them the match. But thats just cricket.

hopefully there isnt any weather problems at the oval and there will be another close game

brad352 said:
On the contrary, it says a lot that you appear to have clearly dominated the last three tests for a 2 run win, a 3 wicket win and a draw. Ridiculous to claim you're a better team because we've had one series where we haven't played well. For the record, we're still favourites for the fifth Test.

That's the only thing that's disappointed me really, the selectors refusal to make changes
Well said

To all those who are banging on about umpire decisions............ get a grip, what goes around comes around. Just think of all those phantom wickets warne has taken by him and his pals around the batsmen bullying the umpires with constant appeals.

To those that say "what if mcgrath was playing".................. and your point is? The only time mcgrath has been effective is on the sloping pitch of lords. Fair enough, he busted his ankle but he looked ok to me Old Trafford and IMO he would have been equally ineffective on the flat pitch of Trent bridge. Plus, if Simon Jones had seen out the Old Trafford test australia would have lost the ashes by now. And if he'd have seen this test out the aussies would not have got anywhere near a 129 lead.

Apart from Brett Lee who is an amazing competitor, and, although it pains me to say it Shane Warne, who is a wizard with that ball and maybe Langer and young Clarke, the aussies are living on borrowed time and past reputation.

England, on the other hand, have a young, talented squad who will become better and better with time and will dominate world cricket for a long time to come.

Oh and its nice to hear this morning that Ian Hislop, erm i mean ricky ponting, has been fined 75% of his match fee for spitting his dummy out when he was brilliantly run out.

So come on you baggy green's, nobody likes to lose but at least try and keep your dignity and stop making excuses when everybody else on the planet can see quite clearly that apart from a few sessions at Lords, australia have been outplayed this summer.

mv'sbarmyarmy said:
To all those who are banging on about umpire decisions............ get a grip, what goes around comes around. Just think of all those phantom wickets warne has taken by him and his pals around the batsmen bullying the umpires with constant appeals.

To those that say "what if mcgrath was playing".................. and your point is? The only time mcgrath has been effective is on the sloping pitch of lords. Fair enough, he busted his ankle but he looked ok to me Old Trafford and IMO he would have been equally ineffective on the flat pitch of Trent bridge. Plus, if Simon Jones had seen out the Old Trafford test australia would have lost the ashes by now. And if he'd have seen this test out the aussies would not have got anywhere near a 129 lead.

Apart from Brett Lee who is an amazing competitor, and, although it pains me to say it Shane Warne, who is a wizard with that ball and maybe Langer and young Clarke, the aussies are living on borrowed time and past reputation.

England, on the other hand, have a young, talented squad who will become better and better with time and will dominate world cricket for a long time to come.

Oh and its nice to hear this morning that Ian Hislop, erm i mean ricky ponting, has been fined 75% of his match fee for spitting his dummy out when he was brilliantly run out.

So come on you baggy green's, nobody likes to lose but at least try and keep your dignity and stop making excuses when everybody else on the planet can see quite clearly that apart from a few sessions at Lords, australia have been outplayed this summer.
McGrath would have stopped England scoring with his consistency and he is one of the greatest ever fast bowlers. (so it sort of hurts a team when he cant play)

Warne over-appeals but now it is actually contributing to his downfall.(Flintoff LBW)

Also all credit to the beggy greens they arent making excuses its actually people like me who are neutral watching the game who do :D

I feel sorry for Pointing because it was just fustration about something which he has said beore. as duncan fletcher sees it "Nature calls on my fast bowlers just after they have finished their spells"

And more to the Simon Jones was actually on his way to hospital at the time Ponting was runout getting a scan on his ankle and then being unable to bowl again in the test.
I think the fifth will hinge largely on the fitness of Jones and McGrath.

Annihilation66 said:
McGrath would have stopped England scoring with his consistency and he is one of the greatest ever fast bowlers. (so it sort of hurts a team when he cant play)

Sorry mate, he didnt stop them scoring at Old Trafford.

Can someone tell me what Ian Bell is supposed to be doing in the English team? Is he and Ashley Giles there just to make up the numbers?

mv'sbarmyarmy said:
Sorry mate, he didnt stop them scoring at Old Trafford.

He was unlucky not to take more wickets at Old Trafford. Were you watching the match???

Also he was only 70% fit if he is on form for the Oval and if Simon Jones isnt then England have got a big problem.

squiz said:
Can someone tell me what Ian Bell is supposed to be doing in the English team? Is he and Ashley Giles there just to make up the numbers?
You sure you want to go on record saying England are playing with only 9 players even after you lost the ashes? :rolleyes:

Will p said:
Brilliant game, really incredible, and i think the end was fitting, England winning after outplaying Australia, but Australia putting up a good fight.

You know what's going to happen now, the groundsmen at the Oval are going to prepare a completely flat rock hard pitch, suited for batting a long long time, and suited to Harmison, Flintoff and Jones, assuming he's fit, which is also crucial
god,:p you poms think your so damn good at the moment, 129/7 you lost 7 wickets chasing that. come on england, umpires have won the match/series for you, flintoff plumb on 8, made 102 2nd innings plumb on 10 made 23 debately winning it for england. katich not out, martyn edges it and gets lbw, you cheating by having your fielding coach on the field?!?! never think youd sink that low, :cheers but its only a game :happy

langerrox said:
god,:p you poms think your so damn good at the moment, 129/7 you lost 7 wickets chasing that. come on england, umpires have won the match/series for you, flintoff plumb on 8, made 102 2nd innings plumb on 10 made 23 debately winning it for england. katich not out, martyn edges it and gets lbw, you cheating by having your fielding coach on the field?!?! never think youd sink that low, :cheers but its only a game :happy
roflmao im with u although i didnt make it so obvious.

oh you forgot to say how England have outplayed you and have still only scraped victories and a draw

squiz said:

Yeah I've been wondering about Bell although I think Giles has actually done very well. He's been targeted by the Aussies but still taken wickets and held down an end.

langerrox said:
god, you poms think your so damn good at the moment, 129/7 you lost 7 wickets chasing that. come on england, umpires have won the match/series for you, flintoff plumb on 8, made 102 2nd innings plumb on 10 made 23 debately winning it for england. katich not out, martyn edges it and gets lbw, you cheating by having your fielding coach on the field?!?! never think youd sink that low, but its only a game

I think the point is that England have completely dominated the last three games before faltering at the end. As for having the fielding coach on, the guy is a 23 year old from Durham who was replacing an injured bowlers but hey, never let facts get in the way of a good story.

langerrox said:

And you call us whinging poms lol
Australia lost because they were outplayed simple as that.
To blame the umpiring is total folly and looking to excuse the inadequacies of your team with such a poor excuse is ridiculous
There are a million and one possible permutations that determain a result in a test match, for example had Geraint Jones not missed several catches and stumpings through the match England would have likely only been chasing an handful rather than 129.
At least try and be balanced and accept that overall England deserved the win just as your own captain Ponting stated.

dazza76 said:
And you call us whinging poms lol
Australia lost because they were outplayed simple as that.
To blame the umpiring is total folly and looking to excuse the inadequacies of your team with such a poor excuse is ridiculous
There are a million and one possible permutations that determain a result in a test match, for example had Geraint Jones not missed several catches and stumpings through the match England would have likely only been chasing an handful rather than 129.
At least try and be balanced and accept that overall England deserved the win just as your own captain Ponting stated.
The decisions cost Australia the match!

England have outplayed them in previous tests but not in this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread