Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
JamesyJames3 said:
How about Mark Hardinges for England?! :D He destroyed Lancashire recently :)

He could be perfect to replace Jones, and he adds to the batting :)

Is this guy an all rounder?

aussie1st said:
Is this guy an all rounder?

Yes he is an all rounder
A bog standard county cricketer though nothing more.
With some of the name been bounded around in here for an England call up im tempted to put myself forward lol

Last edited:
dazza76 said:
Yes he is an all rounder
A bog standard county cricketer though nothing more.
With some of the name been bounded around in here for an England call up im tempted to to put myself forward lol

Offer Graveney money and you may just get in :D ;)

andrew_nixon said:
Well that must be the reason Giles is in the side, so it might work.

Ouch. I disagree, I think Giles is a good bowler that has earned the right to be in the side due to his performances last year. He has not got many wickets this year, but the quick bowlers have made sure that there are not many to get when he comes into the attack. He holds the runs up allowing the quicks to attack from the other end. Thats his job, I think he does it well.

Giles is one of those boring bowlers. He has however manage to keep the Aussies at bay. Usually spinners are whacked out of the park against Aus. Giles has done well this series.

I don't mind Gilo, he is not the most gifted player but i think he gives his all and is probably about the best of a poor bunch in terms of English spinners.
Who can forget his wonder ball at Old Trafford to dismiss Damien Martyn lol
Quality spin bowlers are few and far between in this country.
Swann, Dawson, Schofield they all seem to come and go.
I will give you a name for the future: Mark Lawson from Yorkshire who is part of the ECB?s Elite Wrist Spin Programme run by Aussie Terry Jenner. a real prospect.

aussie1st said:
Giles is one of those boring bowlers. He has however manage to keep the Aussies at bay. Usually spinners are whacked out of the park against Aus. Giles has done well this series.
Qutie the opposite i though. Spin bowlers usually fair quite well against Australia. Kumble, Vettori, Singh, Kaneria to name a few in recent times. But as you said Giles isn't in the this team to take wickets which he has shown :p he's there to hold one end down while a fast bowler attacks at the other end

I agree spinners do have our measure. Those guys mentioned are better turners of the ball. Kumble is a workaholic. Giles though isn't much of a turner just plain boring. :D

dazza76 said:
I don't mind Gilo, he is not the most gifted player but i think he gives his all and is probably about the best of a poor bunch in terms of English spinners.
Giles the best English spinner? He ain't even close. I'd back Croft, Keedy, Brown and Alex Loudon before Giles. I'd even rather pick Vaughan as a spin bowler ahead of Giles.

I agree with Andrew in the fact that he isnt the best spinner of the ball. I think Keedy is probably the best. But Fletcher seems to think that our spinner needs to be able to bat and field well (2 things giles does pretty well). However Keedy isnt a batsmen at all (number 10-11) and fielding can be sloppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread