Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I am hoping (for the first innings) for is that McGrath finish up the last three wickets for only three runs, so he can overcome his best record. :)

I don't think that a draw will be near. But the second innings will be lowscoring too.

At the toss it was said it was a great batting pitch and Vaughan said if he had won the toss he would bet too. I think after seeing this he would have to think again before saying that.

Hats off to McGrath. Had McGrath not been there England would have been in a strong position one would think. With just Hoggard, Harmison and Jones left, I think we might at least see some inspired slogging from Pietersen tomorrow. If England manage to score 150 then the match would be interesting again. Right now, Australia hold all the cards. But if Englad gets all out for 100 or little more than that then a 80-90 head start for Australia on this wicket looks very good for Australia to win the game (Remember there hasn't been a 80-90 run partnership in almost two innings till now). England will need the same spirited effort from Harmison and co. when Australia bat again.

Last edited:
Its ironic that people where saying we would collapse without Thorpe and Pietersen cannot hold an innings together. He is the only batsman that has actually played well aside from Geraint Jones.

I thought McGraths bowling was world class. I have been watching cricket for aobut 5 years now,not long i know but i have never seen such a birlliant spell. 5 wickets went down for 9 runs. Wow.

What a day. What a series. Cant wait for tommorrow..Hopefully Hoggard and the tail can stick around while Pietersen accelerates and tries to get us close to the aussie total. Then we can let Harmy and Flintoff rip and hit the aussies even harder.

Cricket boring? Pfft :p

People that say it's like watching paint dry needs a quick kick up the jacksie :D The bruise that Langer got second up was a pinkun.

jeromedascorp said:
wow. 17 wickets on the day and only 282 runs!!!!

First time that has happened in any 1st day of the Lords test (vs anyone) since 1934 vs India.

Ooh Ahh Glenn Mcgrath!!! Ooh Ahh Glenn Mcgrath!!! Ooh Ahh Glenn Mcgrath!!! Ooh Ahh Glenn Mcgrath!!! Ooh Ahh Glenn Mcgrath!!!

Just woke up to hear the fantastic news! Luckily SBS show highligts of the previous day before the next days play so I can catch up on what I missed, PIDGEON!

Hey Gas mate, you can come out of your room now. Oh and the person who said you're not our bitches....

McGrath awesome, helped by the pitch a lot with the low bounce especially for Freddie's dismissal but other than that faultless, looked like England were getting on top until Jones went and then Giles at the end we could have done without but Pietersen is still there and if him and Hoggard can see it out in the morning tomorrow we may take a slim lead into the second innings because Jones and Harmison can hit it around a bit (Jones against India on debut, Harmy several occasions!) we need the tail to lag basically!

squiz said:
Just woke up to hear the fantastic news! Luckily SBS show highligts of the previous day before the next days play so I can catch up on what I missed, PIDGEON!

Hey Gas mate, you can come out of your room now. Oh and the person who said you're not our bitches....

Listen mate McGraths spell was the BEST ive ever seen and in truth hes won u this test what im saying is we are going to compete let your guys fight for the right and all that
You lot have come over here inthe last god knows how long and not broke sweat
you ve got the bruises today and we drew out McGraths best and boy you needed it 190 all out
Sometimes youve gotta forget your bias and say man that was spiritual that spell of bowling but remember weve got some good cricketers in this match 2
JUST NOT OUR TOP 5 :mad :mad
STILL LOYAL TO THE LION :upray

Briggsey said:
McGrath awesome, helped by the pitch a lot with the low bounce especially for Freddie's dismissal but other than that faultless, looked like England were getting on top until Jones went and then Giles at the end we could have done without but Pietersen is still there and if him and Hoggard can see it out in the morning tomorrow we may take a slim lead into the second innings because Jones and Harmison can hit it around a bit (Jones against India on debut, Harmy several occasions!) we need the tail to lag basically!

your an optimist mate but you never know

The worry for the rest of the series is their attack seems to have the measure of our top 5 Strauss is strugging against bowling around the wicket
a technical flaw and Trescothick looks mentallly on apar with Dizzy at the moment .Id like to see thorpe and ED JOYCE inthe team for the second test i know radical but i think you have to act quick but JOYCE LOOKS THE BUISNESS TO ME
PIETERSON proved his class today TALKSPORTS JACK BANNISTER had big doubts about him in test cricket technically but ironically it was PIETERSON
who displayed the technique and reading of the McGrath problem ,1 byb getting forward at all costs and 2 shuffling over to off stump to play McGrath
McGrath and Warne wont tour again maybe that will be our time

Ed Joyce looks quality, but to throw him straight into the Ashes equation = big mistake, look what happened last time aussies came here, we threw Afzaal who at the time was making all the same noises Joyce is now and he failed and hasnt been seen since for England anyway, we dont need that to happen again especially with Joyce who is the more likely predecessor to Thorpe in that middle order.

Sorry to say it but I can see the selectors getting desperate if the top order fails again and we may need to send an SOS to Thorpey because we missed him today but I guess the selectors are content to see him make 90 odd for Surrey rather than have him doing the same against the aussies.....sigh.....

I think England's blunder was to leave Thorpe out. Warney actually helped england literally pick their best 11 which would have included both Kevin and Graham. Against any opposition least of all the Aussies you will need the experience, and Graham should that against us in the C'bean, literally taking the game away, with that 119 in Bridgetown. I think that is a crucial mistake, which can cost the English the Ashes yet again.

rocklara said:
I think England's blunder was to leave Thorpe out. Warney actually helped england literally pick their best 11 which would have included both Kevin and Graham. Against any opposition least of all the Aussies you will need the experience, and Graham should that against us in the C'bean, literally taking the game away, with that 119 in Bridgetown. I think that is a crucial mistake, which can cost the English the Ashes yet again.

What I don't get is why was it Pietersen vs Thorpe, while this twirpy little kid called Ian Bell gets in just because he made some runs against bangladesh. Stupid selectors!

im an aussie, and i hate all english cricketes, as most of u would no. but i rekon bell has quite a career ahead of im. i rekon u should stick by him, he looks good to me. also, when flintoff was bowled for a duck, it looked as if he just gave up playing a shot. it was wierd. meh, im not complaining bout yesterdays play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread