Australian Tour of India, October 2010/11

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Yes, idiotic to have a two match series when the first test is a classic like this! Count on the 2nd test to be as engrossing. I am confident! Aussies wont be easy pushovers. India will be on a high after such a pulsating win. Cant wait for Bangalore!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well i dont think their is much i can say ATS, that the PC community hasn't already mentioned.

Just will say that when my teams loses matches like this i am not a good sports & i am EXTREMELY pissed about this defeat just like after Kolkatta & Chennai 01, Antigua 03, Jo'Burg 06 for AUS & Multan 05, CT Final 04 for ENG etc. I wouldn't be accepting this as great test match for anothert couple years.

Ind v Aus 2010: Ferguson returns, Ponting rested for India ODIs | Cricket News | India v Australia | Cricinfo.com

Where is Nannes & D Hussey?. McKay or one of Marsh/Warner shouldn't be there.

I'm very proud of the way the AUS quicks bowled in this test. I said before this series started that they key for them taking 20 IND wickets was them getting reverse-swing. But they still managed to basically almost take 20 wickets, without getting much/if any reverse-swing with the old ball - but with good line-and-lenght bowling along with exposing INDs historical weakness againts short pitched. Such a performances argues well long term in their development as the fast-bowling unit, for future tests on flat wickets.

Hopefully also the majority of the AUS posters accept than Haurtiz has to be dropped for the next test & long-term.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I feel for OZ team. They lost, but it was well fought. But how does it feel to be n the other side of the stick finally.

Well it sucks :) Especially when we had done all the hard work, getting the hardest 4 wickets with less than half the runs gained yesterday morning. But Ishant and Laxman - well done lads, brilliant.

Also, they mentioned on Cricinfo this morning the number of times India has beaten Australia after conceding a lead in the first innings. It's been quite a few, so this is becoming a bit of a trend, especially in India. Here are the 5 Tests where it's happened:
1998 Chennai - Aussies lead by 71 runs at halfway, but Tendulkar made 155 and had big partnerships with Dravid and Azharuddin, before Australia collapsed chasing 348.
2001 Kolkata - I think we remember this one :p Australia lead by 274 on first innings.
2003 Adelaide - both teams scored 500 (double centuries to Dravid and Ponting), Aussies in front by 33, before Ajit Agarkar ripped through the Aussies, taking 6 for and setting up a chase of 230 with Dravid again top scoring
2004 Mumbai - low scoring dead rubber match. Australia led by 99 on the first innings, and needed only 107 after Michael Clarke's other-worldy 6/9 spell in the 3rd innings, but Harbhajan stunned the Aussies taking 5/29 to leave them 14 short of the target.
2010 Mohali - we know about this one too, Aussies collapse in the second innings after leading by 23 runs on the first innings to leave the door open, before closing it again on India's top order, but they left a crack there for Laxman and Ishant to slither through.

Australia have done it twice against India recently too coming back from first innings deficits in:
1998 Bangalore - dead rubber Test with India up 2-0. India led by 24 halfway through, but succumbed to Michael Kasprowicz and Gavin Robertson in their 2nd innings and left Australia to chase only 194.
2008 Sydney - ah a famous Test indeed. India led by 69 on the first innings after Laxman and Tendulkar made centuries but Hayden and Hussey replied with brilliant centuries of their own in the 3rd innings (Symonds' tainted century was in the first innings...). India needed 333 in the 4th and couldn't get there, but were hanging gamely for a draw until Michael Clarke's golden arm ripped out the last 3 wickets in the dying overs.

Since 1996 there have been 27 Australia v India Tests (Australia 10 wins, India 11 wins, 6 draws) and when you consider 7 of those were comebacks, it shows how close the teams really have been. What else can we learn? Never count India out, especially when they are at home.

With that interesting history aside, I wonder if Australia will be tempted to change their side before the 2nd Test. North is the obvious candidate for axing, but I wonder if Smith's failure (with bat and ball) in the tour match gave Marcus a 2 game pass, instead of a 1 game pass. If North fails again in the 2nd Test and has a poor couple of Shield games for WA, surely he can't last. We need to do something in the middle there, because the collapses are killing us. But everyone already knows this...:laugh

War

Chairman of Selectors
With that interesting history aside, I wonder if Australia will be tempted to change their side before the 2nd Test. North is the obvious candidate for axing, but I wonder if Smith's failure (with bat and ball) in the tour match gave Marcus a 2 game pass, instead of a 1 game pass. If North fails again in the 2nd Test and has a poor couple of Shield games for WA, surely he can't last. We need to do something in the middle there, because the collapses are killing us. But everyone already knows this...:laugh

Although North should be dropped. I'd keep him for this final test, since his off-spin will needed. He should be dropped for Hughes for the 1st Ashes test however.

Hauritz should be dropped without a doubt, given he proved once again without a doubt that againts quality batsmen on turning wickets he isn't good enough. Its the quick bowlers that will give AUS 20 wickets in the final tests. Bring in Smith to help shore up the lower-order, since AUS biggest weakness as it has been for the last 3 years has been the tendancy to have batting collapses.

aus_maestro

Club Cricketer
That was annoying. Hope I never see North in the line up again. Hauritz was made to look like a child, never had confidence in him, especially against India.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
To be honest, we let Australia too close there. We should have won it far more comfortably. Our batsmen need to buck up and do better than this in future. Wish to see better performances from Sehwag in the second innings. He is a monster in the first, but he doesnt seem to score much in the 2nd.

Hope we get our team right for the second test. Dont foresee a change to the spin department with Ojha and Bhajji bowling pretty well this match. Sreesanth should be in for Ishant unless Sreesanth decides its time to injure himself and stay again on the sidelines:sarcasm . Vijay will be in for Gambhir. I would be happy if Laxman is fit for the next test. Want us to win it and win the series well.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
If the series finishes with 1-0 or 2-0 Australia will be ranked 5th in the Test rankings. They will be lower then England then.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Obviously AngryPixel doesn't remember it...

What is Ironic about this whole match is that the guys who were out for the entire game because of injury - Ishant and ofc Laxman - were the ones who did it in the end. Cricket is a funny game.

I am so proud of the way we played. We managed to take 20 AUSTRALIAN wickets with one of our bowlers injured plus low on confidence (ishant), one just recovering from an injury (Harbhajan), and one bowler who is very raw and new to test cricket (Ojha). Then with the bat, without Laxman vs Australia (:eek) we put up over 400. There was a time in the match where I was really ticked off, felt that we had thrown the game away (especially that Dhoni runout... GRR!) but man, Laxman.... what a presence at the crease.

Hope he stays till the next Australia tour!

nikhil_99

International Coach
One of the best test matches seen for a long long time...certainly i thought after 3rd days play,that it will be a draw,but Ind vs Aus test in recent years have been really close...thats really good sign for test cricket...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Getting down to '2 runs to win, 1 wicket to lose' was certainly nerve cracking. I wished they hit a six to end it and save me of those mighty tense moments. Sad thing is, most of these memorable tests have poor umpiring associated with them. Ishant was not out and given out. Ojha was out and given not out. And India doesnt want to take UDRS.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yes, there were shabby decisions for both teams. The two howlers the day before on Hussey and Gambhir were pretty bad. So the umpiring was definitely something to forget...

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This is what we get when we do not play Sri Lanka. :banana2 A great boost for test cricket after the fiasco of the English summer. We`ve had two really good test matches back to back in India. The Kolkata test against SA which was a nailbiter and now this one. I`m still not in favor of test cricket being played at Mohali though. This kind of a contest deserved a better theater. Also, its not as if Mohali has produced very sporting pitches in the recent past either. The last test played here was against England in 2008 and that was as flat as it gets.When Australia toured in 2008, the Mohali track was pretty flat as well, although we got a result.

Coming back to the game, this had a bit of Adelaide 2003 and Edgbaston 2005 in it. Ponting has been at the receiving end of some tight contests. I feel for him.Finally, VVS, what a player! Another big boost in his test was how Zaheer bowled. He was brilliant with the old ball. Can`t wait for Bangalore!

We are world number 1 for a reason :-P

Users who are viewing this thread