Brendon McCullum or MS Dhoni

Prior's a very good batsman but his keeping is poor

Poor, that's a understatement. I would say it's shocking, pretty much to the point I don't even call him a keeper.

7.M.Prior(BS).........Backstop

That's pretty harsh tbh. He's actually been quite solid with his keeping in the most part. It's just a few nightmare games that he has which just exentuate his flaws. Uneven bounce and the English bowlers firing balls down the leg-side have been the times when he's struggled. Most keepers struggle in sub-continental/West Indian conditions, and that's what's happened to Prior. In England and in other foreign conditions his keeping will be good enough, and you can't argue with his batting record.

I've take Boucher and Haddin over both of them.

Haddin's keeping isn't even that bad anyway. I've seen McCullum and Dhoni drop some pretty straight forward catches.

Haddin's been incredibly average at Test level. Doesn't matter what he's achieved in "the best domestic system in the world", if he can't transfer that to Test form, then it doesn't matter. He's had 1 really good series with the bat, against New Zealand, did decently against South Africa at home and failed against the 2 other countries, one of which, West Indies. You can pick apart Prior's keeping ability, but he's definitely outperformed Haddin with the bat. Averaged 44 in India, 41 in Sri Lanka, 64 at home against the Windies, and then 77 in the West Indies. Only had 1 series where he's failed to perform. Haddin's performed decently in 2 series, only really shining in 1 series. No way is he the best in the world.

Prior's averages are only higher because his got allot more not outs and because his scored runs against the West Indies (arguably minnows) on incredibly flat batting surfaces. Haddin's clearly the better bat.

Neither what? I'd say it's between these 2 for the best keeper in Test cricket. It would be Sangakkara, but he no longer keeps, and the rest are good in 1 area, not consistent across both. Prior's a very good batsman but his keeping is poor, Haddin's keeping is average and his batting so far has been average, Jayawardene's keeping is very good but his batting lets him down, Ramdin's a good keeper but very inconsistent with the bat, Boucher's a good keeper but also not too solid with the bat. I'd say it's between Dhoni and McCullum for the best keeper in the world stakes.

Lol, Boucher is far more solid with the bat then McCullum or Dhoni. That's just one of the reasons why he is the best keeper in Test cricket. You can rely on him, but I wouldn't put $2 on Dhoni or McCullum to get there team out of a difficult situation. I would probably but $20 on McCullum to get his team out of it actually, because I rate him quite a bit but I wouldn't waste $2 on Dhoni saving me. Boucher is very solid with the bat and his average of 30 is very true, because you can rely on him scoring a 30 nearly every time.

Prior's averages are only higher because his got allot more not outs and because his scored runs against the West Indies (arguably minnows) on incredibly flat batting surfaces. Haddin's clearly the better bat.

Haddin's a decent batsmen, but how many times does he get to 15-30 runs and just get out. He does that in ODI's too, I think he should play his own game and try not to emulate Adam Gilchrist. And Haddin is a very average keeper, I've seen him put down atleast 5-10 catches.

Haddin has played the same opposition, on the same surfaces, and failed, and why should not outs work against Prior? It's Haddin's fault he's gotten out, surely because they bat at the same spot, Prior having more not outs is a good thing?

Also, FB. The stats in the last 2 years are making a mockery of your argument of Boucher being more consistent. Dhoni averages 41 with the bat, Boucher averages 26 and McCullum averages 33, but in the last 12 months his average jumps to 36, and he's the only one of the 3 to have a Test century to his name. McCullum and Dhoni > Boucher with the bat.

I'm not really interested in the batting averages tbh, because they aren't the averages when there team is in a pressure situation, and I will take Boucher over Dhoni and McCullum any day. Boucher is reliable, where as I will never trust Dhoni in a situation where his team are 6/154 or so for example. The thing is, Dhonis average of 41 probably comes from scores looking like this: 88, 3, 34, 2, 130, 50 for example. Where as Bouchers would be more like: 30, 20, 25, 45, 13 and so. He's consistent. Of course you might come out with stats totally proving what I just said wrong but it still won't change my mind.

Yep, you're right. I will come back with some stats. Last 15 innings:

Mark Boucher: 40, 45*, 3, 12, 15, 117 (against Bangladesh), 26, 3, 89, 4, 0, 24, 1, 25 and 12
MS Dhoni: 14, 52, 32, 9, 92, 68*, 27, 56, 55, 53, 29, 0, 47, 52 and 56*

Dhoni's been far more consistent. Only 2 single figure scores, compared with Boucher's 5. Only 3 scores under 20, compared with Boucher's 8, Dhoni also has 8 scores of 50+, compared with Boucher's 2. Dhoni's been much better.

Look at his stats from 2008 onwards. Link. If that's no consistent enough for you then I don't know what is.

Here are Bouchers. Link. Personally I'd take Dhoni, but if you're after someone who consistently scores in the teens (Yeah!), then Bouchers your man :thumbs

You've proved me right about Dhoni, but wrong about Boucher. Dhoni scores 32, 9, 92, 68 then down to 27. It's all over the shop and you never know when he's going to flop. Boucher obviously has had the same problem recently though, but still over the past 5 or so years it would have to be Boucher for me overall. Even if you prove me wrong again, like I said earlier it won't change my mind because I have always rated Boucher the 2nd best Test cricketer in the worlds (when Gilly was still playing).

You'll look silly in 5 years time when Dhoni has a Test batting average in the high 40's, also Dhoni's already top in ODI's.

Users who are viewing this thread