DBC14 PC Version 1.14

Could someone explain to me what drm actually does,I don't understand the link between internet connection stopping piracy
It executes code server side to check if the game is genuine and prevents boot if it's not genuine or can't execute the code. So pirated versions (1.14 or later won't work)

So I'd just again make the broader point - if you can make it effective, and put it there from the start, I can't see a reason not to make releases on PC, eventually at least.

The key is in working out how to get maximum *value* from the PC version, as the revenue is relatively minor and already eroded by the extra development costs needed to put out a PC version.

It's best potential value is in balancing and improving the game. With a good analytics system, which tracked what each subscriber was doing with the game, would give a developer all sorts of insights into how real-world players use the product.

The key is in working out how to get maximum *value* from the PC version, as the revenue is relatively minor and already eroded by the extra development costs needed to put out a PC version.

It's best potential value is in balancing and improving the game. With a good analytics system, which tracked what each subscriber was doing with the game, would give a developer all sorts of insights into how real-world players use the product.
Well as Ross mentioned, RLL2 got a PC version developed and not released. The closer architecture between the PC and the new consoles should mean that it's less of a task to develop that PC port - especially if you don't bother with keyboard support.

I'd also disagree with the subscription model. I want to own the best ever cricket game, not rent it.

Why am I getting this error if I am offline with latest updated. I might not always want to play online.
upload_2014-9-20_17-58-12.png

Bloody hell...the error message tells you exactly why.

Be online when you launch the game. You can then disconnect once you reach the main menu.

^^^ read the last 5 pages and you'll get the idea

Well as Ross mentioned, RLL2 got a PC version developed and not released. The closer architecture between the PC and the new consoles should mean that it's less of a task to develop that PC port - especially if you don't bother with keyboard support.

I'd also disagree with the subscription model. I want to own the best ever cricket game, not rent it.

PC Port involves more than just the code. There's all the publishing work, the ongoing support. After costs, taxes, distributor fees I reckon your best case on PC is break-even unless the payment model changes.

The concept of "ownership" in the field of games is a very interesting one, and not a can o' worms I want to open. :-)

As a console owner maybe my opinion is void but I think not having a PC version would be a pity simply as it gives BA a chance to put out patches and have them played in a wider audience before incurring the costs of submission for console, so if there is a way BA can do that, albeit via a drm then you can't blame them. I used to play football manager on PC which required steam account, and I simply played it offline after the game had started, I may be wrong but FM was a much bigger game data wise and so in effect I don't see what the problem is. If you can connect to the Internet for 20 mins to post on forums, you can connect to the Internet for a few seconds for drm. Ross admitted in hindsight it should have been in from the start, but other than that I don't understand the problem! You have to connect to Internet for the academy to work in game, and before release for the academy and nets, if you did all that and more before, you'll have no problem doing it now, unless of course, if you're a tweaking pirate.

The key is in working out how to get maximum *value* from the PC version,

How about releasing a DLC with extra grounds and a couple of extra features? If BigAnt were to do that say early next year and charge around $20 or so for it I'm sure everyone who played the game would purchase it.

This house without Internet also can't get a 3G phone connection?

Not buying that for a second.

Not that you are privy to my life in anyway. But I am a uni student who's freetime is usually only on the weekends. Most weekends I go down to stay with family (my father) who is 60 technologically illiterate and lives by himself with no devices with the capacity to connect to the Internet rendering having the internet beyond pointless.

As I said previously I used to be able to tether my 3g but I cannot anymore.

You should be able to actually see me in the DBC14 downloads section as a member since that is for verified purchases only.

In the future be aware other people's circumstances are different to yours.

Not that you are privy to my life in anyway. But I am a uni student who's freetime is usually only on the weekends. Most weekends I go down to stay with family (my father) who is 60 technologically illiterate and lives by himself with no devices with the capacity to connect to the Internet rendering having the internet beyond pointless.

As I said previously I used to be able to tether my 3g but I cannot anymore.

You should be able to actually see me in the DBC14 downloads section as a member since that is for verified purchases only.

In the future be aware other people's circumstances are different to yours.

I can see that you're verified i just don't buy you can't connect to the net. Hell, boot the game before you go and don't close, problem solved.

DRM like this is the only way the game has a chance of coming to PC in future versions. That's the only valid point.

I can't even conceive of using a PC that isn't connected to the internet. It's like buying a car and then only driving it around your backyard.

Just want to say that the recent patches (mainly 1.13) have really made this game so much better. The fact that I can now play strokes all around the ground without the ball staying in the air has a massive impact on my enjoyment. Really top stuff.

I can see that you're verified i just don't buy you can't connect to the net. Hell, boot the game before you go and don't close, problem solved.

DRM like this is the only way the game has a chance of coming to PC in future versions. That's the only valid point.

I used to be able to tether my connection but ever since my s3 updated to the newer version of Ice Cream Sandwich or KitKat (can't remember which) it just stopped working. I just tried to get it working in the last half hour to no avail. Once I get a new phone I hope that the issue fixes itself.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to just before I leave to switch into offline mode on Steam then run the game to pass the activation check then put laptop into sleep. Once I get there I'll just hopebit won't crash or I won't be able to play it.

You've just regurgitated a work around I literally all ready stated prior. All your grievances I have cleared up or explained. Either your comprehesion is lacking or you haven't read my post, perhaps not even the thread.

I think we need to steer the argument away from whether someone has valid reasons for not being able to connect to the internet or not. Lets face it DRM is something no one wants: like I said I was stuck with not being able to play the game for a few days as I couldnt log on. It doesn't bother me too much as I have plenty of other things to do. Sure it is a pain but it isn't the end of the world. PC pirating is so rife: if this is the way of making sure people buy the game, thus ensuring development, so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread