Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

rickyp said:
Why didnt Dean Jones and Amla just sort it out and let them both get on with their careers. Im sure it wouldnt take much of a talk to get an understanding between both parties on this issue. Dean Jones being sacked was a joke, it was a joke taken way out of context, and it would be interesting to see what the other commentators have happen to them if they said it. It would even be interesting to see whether they think he should have been sacked aswell
Well, once its been heard on a telecast over the world, it no longer becomes a deal between Amla and Jones. People like to stand up for other people, whether the latter want it or not, and even if Amla and Jones had sorted it out privately, you would have seen people "demanding justice".

Most commentators I've read about have said that what Jones did was not something he should have been doing there. I'm glad commentators keep things in context rather than blowing things out of proportion like ex-cricketers (and especially Indian ones) like to do.

rickyp said:
Why didnt Dean Jones and Amla just sort it out and let them both get on with their careers. Im sure it wouldnt take much of a talk to get an understanding between both parties on this issue. Dean Jones being sacked was a joke, it was a joke taken way out of context, and it would be interesting to see what the other commentators have happen to them if they said it. It would even be interesting to see whether they think he should have been sacked aswell

I'd say any commentator regardless of where they are from would of had the same consequences. To me the sacking was fair, but I felt he should of been suspended from commentating on ten sports for say 6 months or so. To me Dean Jones is not a racist as he has many mutual friends in Pakistan and in the sub continent. The comment was horrible and has severly damaged his reputation. He even agreed himself that it was an absolutely stupid thing to say and how much he regrets it.

It is not a very tolerable joke at this time. It would be like calling a black person a ******. Doesn't bode very well with the people affiliated with the stereotype. Jones might actually be better off getting fired anyway.

I don't understand the other side, look something that is wrong remains wrong, OK we all know he was a good cricketer and stuf stuf.. does'nt mean you will say anything you feel like, ok joke or not.

The right to free speech means you can say whatever you whenever you want to whoever you want. However, this was not the right time to say the right thing; but maybe to the right people (his co-commentators). Who's to say none of the people in the commbox were Muslim or had beards? We don't know that. Dean Jones didn't insult you in particular. I can't see why everyone here is feeling bad for Amla, when he himself has said the apology is accepted. Do you think Amla is stupid and should be more pissed off?

Exactly! And calling him a racist without knowing him? it is the exact same thing as colling someone else a terrorist, Prejudice!

sohummisra said:
The right to free speech means you can say whatever you whenever you want to whoever you want.
It does not mean you can offend Muslims, Right of speech does not mean you gonne call anyone a terrorist. The real meaning of right of speech is say you're point of view not offend a person of the way they look. This could effect a young kid like me from keeping a beard.

usy said:
It does not mean you can offend Muslims, Right of speech does not mean you gonne call anyone a terrorist. The real meaning of right of speech is say you're point of view not offend a person of the way they look. This could effect a young kid like me from keeping a beard.
No, freedom of speech means exactly that. Freedom to say what the hell you want, no matter who it offends.

OK then I'm surly gonne garbage, llol joking.

So that proves he did offend, thats what I wanted to prove. He did offend.

I think the whole point of this some people are missing is that he wasnt trying to offend anyone, and amla didnt care (as far as we know) so why is it an issue? because people want it to be

There was no doubt that he offended Amla, but it was not in any malicious intent, unless he has done a good cover-up job of it. Now, if someone in the position of George Bush happened to make such loose remarks while in public vicinity, that would be questionable. Although he probably does it in private. :P

andrew_nixon said:
No, freedom of speech means exactly that. Freedom to say what the hell you want, no matter who it offends.

This series was in Sri Lanka, right?

Well they don't have freedom of speech there.

The only countries that do are obviously America and I believe Denmark.

And it doesn't even work in America because people have been sued for what they say.

Sureshot said:

And it doesn't even work in America because people have been sued for what they say.
Freedom of Speech is one of the fundamental rights in the Indian constitution but that does not mean that you can speak any damn thing and offend popl with your words.

aditya123 said:
Freedom of Speech is one of the fundamental rights in the Indian constitution but that does not mean that you can speak any damn thing and offend popl with your words.
If that's the case, then there is no freedom of speech.

Sureshot said:

No country has true freedom of speech. In the US, you can't swear on terrestrial television (you can, but it's very restrcited). In the UK, we still theoretically have the blasphemy law, although any prosecution under it would see the law collapse under human rights legislation. In Canada, hate speech is outlawed, as it is in some cases in the UK.

aditya123 said:

Sorry to contradict you,but our Constitution says Freedom of Speech
Now whether to offend or not is a moral priority.
It allows for speech to offend anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread