Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

wikipedia said:
Freedom of speech is the liberty to freely say what one pleases, as well as the related liberty to hear what others have stated.

It says nothing about how you can say what you want UNLESS it offends someone. The reality of this is, in todays politically correct culture, its damn hard to know what offends and what doesnt.

andrew_nixon said:
If that's the case, then there is no freedom of speech.

No country has true freedom of speech. In the US, you can't swear on terrestrial television (you can, but it's very restrcited). In the UK, we still theoretically have the blasphemy law, although any prosecution under it would see the law collapse under human rights legislation. In Canada, hate speech is outlawed, as it is in some cases in the UK.

So basically Freedom of Speech summed up is that's it's impossible because someone will always be offended and the risk of prosecuton is fairly high.

True Freedom of Speech is unlikely in any future Human Nation, isn't it?

Last time we realy had it was when we lived in the trees....

The trying-to-get-publicity-off-the-incident seems to have started. There was a report in DNA India today that an Australian senator has said that Jones should be banned from the commbox for life following what he said. He also labelled the action as racist. :p Other commentators and former cricketers have come out in support of Jones, though. The senator in question also seemed to defy the fact that Jones is close to so many cricketers in the subcontinent.

Sureshot said:
So basically Freedom of Speech summed up is that's it's impossible because someone will always be offended and the risk of prosecuton is fairly high.

True Freedom of Speech is unlikely in any future Human Nation, isn't it?

Last time we realy had it was when we lived in the trees....

im not so sure if you can be prosecuted for things you say, unless they link to some sort of crime or anything. Hopefully someone can clarify this because im interested to know

Yup, if you accuse people of criminal acts or you accuse women of, you know, sleeping around, you're liable to be sued. Those are the two specific provisions I remember, there are probably others. Also, I don't know if these are applicable through libel, slander, or both.

rickyp said:
im not so sure if you can be prosecuted for things you say, unless they link to some sort of crime or anything. Hopefully someone can clarify this because im interested to know

Inciting racial hatred has been one prosecution against some clerics here and for the BNP leaders which was disgusting they got off with.

I know it was a long time ago, but I have been thinking about this, and I think Jones had no intention of being racist at all.

The major point is, he said 'the terrorist has got another wicket' when Nicky Boje was bowling, and Hashim Amla was the catcher (from my memory, it was indeed a while ago, the important thing is Amla was not bowling).

I believe Jones meant Boje was the terrorist, in that he was terrorising the batsmen with his spin bowling. He was just badly misunderstood and in a case like this if a head doesn't roll there is uproar.

Nah, mate.

So you have read, thought about and come to your own conclusion on my post in 2 minutes? Obviously not, as you have not given any reasons for why you think I am wrong.

However, Jones said this off the air, and said the viewers should not have heard it. That could take it away from my theory, but he could just have been chatting to his fellow commentators.

No, Dean Jones would have used that as an excuse if that were the case. He referred to Amla when he said it and he apologized for it.

If i was Amla I would have gone up to him said, really i would..

"yes, next i'm blowing your mums house".

Dean Jones is another ignorant.

Users who are viewing this thread