Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Issues and Anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Second innings and I'm opening the bowling again. Make up your mind, skipper..

If i understand the controls correctly, there is a button to slide your bat in. So if you are jogging for a run and dont slide the bat it, it is your fault. It happens in real life too where players forget to slide the bat and get run out. This is part of game. Imagine playing against your friend and match going down to the last over where you distract him or under pressure he forgets to slide the bat in and hence run out :thumbs

Play the game or a test match and remember to slide your bat each and every time you consider taking a run. I am sorry but it is an AI issue, when on your judgement you know that you are comfortably in and all of a sudden you are run out.

Sliding the bat in is cricket 101. That's not a bug, it's lazy user input. I understand not wanting to do it all the time but should be default for most singles as in real cricket. The 'return to crease' thing and falling short from the non striker end however seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. That could easily be automated I imagine...
I'd suggest the amount of the time you need to manually do it should depend on difficulty level.

The controls should never make it hard to do something that's easy for cricketers to do (and vice versa). You press the 'run' button, that should be enough to tell a batsman to run and then put their bat and/or self in the crease, because that's what a 'Run' is.

Eh, and another bug. My fast bowling all-rounder has been averaging around ~ 7 ish per wicket with an awesome economy rate, picked up 9 wickets in my previous game. We batted first in this game, I scored a duck, and in the opposition's batting innings I did not get to bowl a single over at all (even though I'm the opening bowler for the team, first change at worst). I thought Graeme Smith (my skipper) bowling me in the 60th over was an insult enough.. until he decided to completely not bowl me at all! :(

Hopefully this isn't due to that roster issue that we've been talking about earlier? Not sure.

I think it would be good if it were just due to the roster issue, as then it could be easily fixed. If there were a bigger issue regarding the selection of career players to bowl, a la Matt @ play test, then we'd have a problem.

----------

I'd suggest the amount of the time you need to manually do it should depend on difficulty level.

The controls should never make it hard to do something that's easy for cricketers to do (and vice versa). You press the 'run' button, that should be enough to tell a batsman to run and then put their bat and/or self in the crease, because that's what a 'Run' is.

I don't think it should be an issue on any difficulty. At harder difficulties you will have enough problem tackling stronger AI and more complex batting mechanics.

I suppose there is a certain level of 'realism' you can implement in a cricket game, but we also have to realize that 'too real' (an example being having to slide your bat in manually) is sometimes not a good thing. After all, we play video games because they're fun to spend time on, not frustrating! There's nothing more annoying than hitting an on drive straight down to long on for an easy single that you could jog (even in real life) but getting run out because you didn't press a single button and your batsman was daydreaming after reaching the non-striker's end.

(Not taking anything from BigAnt though they've made a superb game. Early days are bound to be frustrating because it's a lot more technical than any cricket game ever before.)

I don't think it should be an issue on any difficulty.
I'm thinking more in terms of wider running controls - as the difficulty gets harder, you have to be closer to the crease before the batsman would automatically think it's a good idea to ground his bat.

I think within a metre of the crease it should never require additional user input.

AI laziness is the other thing you'd probably need to code - so that they wouldn't go really hard at getting your wicket when you're casually completing the easy single.

I'm thinking more in terms of wider running controls - as the difficulty gets harder, you have to be closer to the crease before the batsman would automatically think it's a good idea to ground his bat.

I think within a metre of the crease it should never require additional user input.

AI laziness is the other thing you'd probably need to code - so that they wouldn't go really hard at getting your wicket when you're casually completing the easy single.

Okay I understand, that is reasonable.

The controls should never make it hard to do something that's easy for cricketers to do (and vice versa)

Totally agree, but I like the option to jog or sprint a single, accordingly, with the latter obviously requiring you to slide or dive into the crease. Just sounds like the return to crease function is a bit dodgeballs for the non striker, I don't imagine that would be a huge thing to fix?

I'm never much of a fan of pressing buttons because the game developer wants to give you control of the minutia of something pointless, returning the non striker falls into that category for me, but will wait and see how it plays out when I'm playing the game, hard to spectate on this kinda stuff...

Niggly minutia stuff for me, will take it all with a grain until there's a few more copies in the wild.

Another bug. Third day of Surrey vs Yorkshire at Melbourne, Career mode.
(will just provide context for more info for BigAnt):

Surrey 154 ao, Yorkshire 114ao, Surrey 418ao, Yorkshire go into lunch at Day 3 at 32/2 in 11 overs.

They come out after lunch, score is 0/0.. in 12.5 overs?! Where'd the runs and wickets go and how were those 11 extra balls bowled? Target needed is back to the original 450+ score.

No clue what's wrong.

Niggly minutia stuff for me, will take it all with a grain until there's a few more copies in the wild.

Potentially, but it would be a very annoying way to get run out. No one wants Ashes 09 where you had to save every over just so you could re-load in the case of an idiotic AI runout.

----------

Surrey 154 ao, Yorkshire 114ao, Surrey 418ao, Yorkshire go into lunch at Day 3 at 32/2 in 11 overs.

They come out after lunch, score is 0/0.. in 12.5 overs?! Where'd the runs and wickets go and how were those 11 extra balls bowled? Target needed is back to the original 450+ score.

No clue what's wrong.

Wowee, a big problem there :( Okay, so you didn't lose THAT many runs (and probably would prefer getting back those 2 wickets for the sake of 32 runs) but what if that wipes off a 100 run session say?

Did that all occur during a simulation or was your career mode character playing at the time?

No clue what's wrong.

Now that is a bug. I hope it just one off issue. Lets wait for others to report similar cases.

So my guy bowled an over right after they came out at 0/0 for some reason in 12.5 overs after lunch, and right after the over ended the score has gone back to the original score of 32/2 (phew).. in 12 overs. So the score went back to what it was and the over that I just bowled also counted, but that is a major bug BA should look into. :)

----------

Is there any way for the keeper to come up to the stumps (if not, atleast come up a few steps more)? Kind of disheartening to be bowling 145+kph and still having the ball bounce twice before it reaches the keeper. Has also happened with a couple of edges sometimes, a bit frustrating. Pretty much all the deliveries that are left by the batsmen bounce twice and often just roll to the keeper (regardless of the length).. I'm bowling 140+ every ball.

So my guy bowled an over right after they came out at 0/0 for some reason in 12.5 overs after lunch, and right after the over ended the score has gone back to the original score of 32/2 (phew).. in 12 overs. So the score went back to what it was and the over that I just bowled also counted, but that is a major bug BA should look into. :)

----------

Is there any way for the keeper to come up to the stumps (if not, atleast come up a few steps more)? Kind of disheartening to be bowling 145+kph and still having the ball bounce twice before it reaches the keeper. Has also happened with a couple of edges sometimes, a bit frustrating. Pretty much all the deliveries that are left by the batsmen bounce twice and often just roll to the keeper (regardless of the length).. I'm bowling 140+ every ball.

What pitch are you on? I can 99% recall BA saying you could take the keeper up to the stumps but that was for going right up to the stumps for medium pacers, not just taking a few steps forward. Hopefully they can adjust this, as I love seeing the ball THWACK into the keeper's gloves.

Glad the previous bug was really just a brief scoreboard error, and not really accounted for.

Wowee, a big problem there :( Okay, so you didn't lose THAT many runs (and probably would prefer getting back those 2 wickets for the sake of 32 runs) but what if that wipes off a 100 run session say?

Did that all occur during a simulation or was your career mode character playing at the time?

My character plays for Surrey, so the opposition going in to lunch at 32/2 was good for me. I came out after lunch and it was all of a sudden 0/0 with an extra 11 balls bowled for some reason (12.5 overs instead of 11.0), then my player bowled an over and it went back to 32/2 in 12 overs after the over ended.

----------

What pitch are you on? I can 99% recall BA saying you could take the keeper up to the stumps but that was for going right up to the stumps for medium pacers, not just taking a few steps forward. Hopefully they can adjust this, as I love seeing the ball THWACK into the keeper's gloves.

I'm.. not sure, you don't get to decide pitch/stadia in Career mode, you're just a 16 year old who's getting a chance to play for his State ;) but it's at the 'Melbourne Stadium', though I'm playing English County cricket. In fact, all the English County games are being played at Adelaide/Melbourne/Bradman Oval and other Aussie stadia for me. Which is odd, but fair enough, not a 'bug' or anything by any means.

But yes, very disheartening to be bowling 145kph length deliveries outside off and watching the batsmen leave them, and them bouncing twice before reaching the keeper. No clue why.

Even i would like to have option of adjusting keeper's distance from stump manually. It should be one of the things for the patch. Because on low bounce pitches it would become frustrating to see edges not carrying where in real life keeper would have come up a few steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread