England in the 90s

Wrap up of the NZ tour.

Sums up my experience in a nutshell. Gooch did ok (actually he had 2 good inns and 4 poor ones) but not much else with the bat. Tuffers (any spinner really) a demon with the ball but the seamers absolutely toothless.

Been through the stats for all my players.

Gooch has scored over 1,500 runs at a tick under 40, only Smith and Lamb have also passed 1,000 runs but at mid-high 20s. Everyone else averaging mid-low 20s or not played many games. My 4th highest scorer is Jack Russell with 867. Lamb is discarded after this 1992 Pakistan series. God knows who’ll back up Gooch and Smith then!

Spinners all average under 20 but the seam is a horror story.

Only Capel, Small and Botham and average under 30 - they’re all low 20s but Capel only played the first series vs West Indies and Small didn’t play any more tests after 91 Ashes. Botham has played only 3 tests so a small sample and he only plays a few more matches anyway. Malcolm averages just over 30 and every other seamer is high-30s or over 40.

Last edited:
Welcome to my world

Actually ended up restarting because Waqar had been set to brute and about 25% of my runs was coming from bouncer byes. Can’t have a 5 match series of that.

They’ve ended up batting now, and scored 100-odd for 2 in a session in the exact same conditions I’d scored 60/4 in!!

yeah that’s what I did. It’s a shame but brute for seamers is unusable
It's mainly the keepers in my experience. Hit and miss when it comes to reacting. I'm thinking of turning swing down because it often appears that late swing takes the ball away from the keeper (or out of range from their reaction).

It's mainly the keepers in my experience. Hit and miss when it comes to reacting. I'm thinking of turning swing down because it often appears that late swing takes the ball away from the keeper (or out of range from their reaction).

yeah keepers are poor particularly down the leg side

Actually ended up restarting because Waqar had been set to brute and about 25% of my runs was coming from bouncer byes. Can’t have a 5 match series of that.

They’ve ended up batting now, and scored 100-odd for 2 in a session in the exact same conditions I’d scored 60/4 in!!

Yeah I've had to do that a lot. Tends to be why I make my own players 90% of the time

yeah I always edit skills and perks and check types etc. this one just slipped through the net!

Least you noticed during the 1st test. Cant remember which team it was but I definitely didn't pick it up until the 2nd test of a series before. Its the worst feeling :lol

Are you uploading your recently edited teams Dave?

actually yeah I already have.

should be an England 92/93 on the server which is everyone used in Pakistan home series 92, India away series 93 and 93 Ashes (except Andy Caddick because we can only add 35 players and they used 36 players across 3 series!)

also Pakistan 92, and India 90-93

most players are made by other people, mostly waste, mousey, dale and for Pakistan ahmedleo.
I’ve made a few, and reskilled and perked all of them to my “system”.

test stats will be 0 or how they’ve performed against me if they’ve already played

user name mrdconnors[DOUBLEPOST=1608285451][/DOUBLEPOST]
Least you noticed during the 1st test. Cant remember which team it was but I definitely didn't pick it up until the 2nd test of a series before. Its the worst feeling :lol

when your 60/4 and 20+ runs have come in 4 byes you pick it up easy enough...

Moving from the NZ tour straight into a English summer season has illustrated the variety the game has to offer.

Relatively few lbw/bowled in NZ, particularly on the dry pitches, mostly keeper and slip catches and bat pad to spinner.

Grassy/dry pitch in English conditions (mild, cloudy, showers) and 3 lbw, 1 bowled, 1 keeper catch and a run out so far.

Alongside the the change in drift seeming to result in the AI using their feet more this is really satisfying.

Spin remains overpowered but England have gone in with 4 seamers this match so not an issue I guess. I’m gonna play with turn and bounce settings and see if we can address that.

Nicely poised match in progress.

Sohail’s 50 and Inzamam’s 70 were the only top-order contributions of note for Pakistan, and Waqar’s stubborn 40 dragged them up to 308 all out.

Gooch fell early to journeyman seamer Attah-ur Rehman but Hick combined well with Stewart to get off England to a decent start. Coming back into the attack Rehman got one to get big on Hick and he gloved it up for a simple c&b.

Stewart and Smith look to have taken England to the close in a good position but late in the day a shocking decision from Barrie Meyer sends Stewart (41) back lbw and gives Rehman a third wicket. Night watchman Pringle joins Smith and they negotiate the final 11 balls of the evening - England 86/3 overnight, 222 behind.[DOUBLEPOST=1608335145][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone who remembers this series should remember England’s epic collapses against the old ball. Often we’d get to 40/50 overs in good shape - openers Gooch and Stewart both had good series, but with the reversing ball hooping around once one went the whole batting order would fall like a house of cards.

To honour this I will be increasing swing by 3 points every 5 overs from overs 40-65

Users who are viewing this thread