England in the 90s

My eyesight might be poor but i can't see any wear at all. Then i saw a Twistie3 career video and he's bowling with a ball with less leather on it than Gordon Ramsay's face.
That My Friend just nearly made spit my tea out lol Happy New year mate hope for a better year .

Hick spins England back into the series.

Needing a win to avoid series defeat, England won the toss and chose to bat first at Headingley.

Having made several changes to the team and gone for an all seam attack of Lewis, Munton, the returning Pringle and debutant Mallender, England would have been encouraged by the grass on the wicket and the prospect of overcast conditions later in the game.

82 from Gower and 77 from Ramprakash took them up to 314, a disappointing total having been 219/4 at one stage.

The total looked better after dismissing Pakistan for 199, helped by 3 run outs. A concern might have been that the seamers only took 4 wickets - 2 apiece for Munton and Mallender. With Mushtaq having taken 6 of Pakistan’s wickets, have England fatally misread the pitch?

England needed to set a challenging total, and and looked well placed to do so at 100/1 but soon tumbled to 138/6 and 174/9 before a last wicket stand of 23 helped England to 197 and set a target of 314. Again though half the wickets fell to spin, with Mushtaq taking another 4 for 10 in the match.

Mallender had Sohail caught early at bat pad, but after that England looked toothless with the ball. Gooch turned to the part time spin of Hick and Atherton, and even Ramprakash had 3 overs...

It came up trumps as Hick led the way with 6/67 and Atherton’s 2/24 including the priceless wicket of Raja for 85 who was threatening to win the match almost single handed.

A nail-biting win for England by 61 runs late on the final day. England now have a chance to share the series if they win the final test at the Oval
Well Done Mate hope you do it .

I've seen the ball wear a bit, but nowhere near what you get from simulation.
Hi Dale88= i have had ball wear on one side of the ball for test matches but that's it . happy new too yourself and everyone on this forum .

A small matter of finally winning a match won’t stop the selectors changing the team (for real, we won the 4th test in real life too).

Out goes 4th test hero Hick (you’re picked to bat mate, not take 9/88 in the match!), alongside Tim Munton. Back comes Devon Malcolm and Phil Tufnell plays for the first time since the NZ tour. If that’s not enough, Atherton is bumped down to 3 and Stewart is tasked with opening AND keeping.

Pakistan also respond to defeat by dropping Inzamam and Moin Khan, brining in Shoaib Mohammed and Rashid Latif.

England win the toss and bat first, and go through the first session without loss, Gooch following up from his second inns 60 in the last match (his first 50 of the series) with another half century.

Gooch dominates the stand which becomes a hundred partnership after lunch and has reached 114 before Stewart (32) and Atherton (4) depart in quick succession as England slump to 121/2.

But Gooch and Smith stabilise and share a century stand of their own with Gooch bringing up his own brilliant hundred, really coming back into form at a vital time. Smith falls for 42 and Gower falls first ball, but Ramprakash bats well with his captain to get England through to 268/4 at stumps and Gooch still unbeaten after batting through the day for 129*.

A brilliant day for England, and a tough one for Pakistan with just a wicket apiece for Mushtaq, Mutjaba, Waqar and Wasim.

Can the series be saved?

Amazing to think Atherton will be captain of this side in a year... he’s been in and out more times than Ron Jeremy’s member...[DOUBLEPOST=1609446318][/DOUBLEPOST]He’s dropped again in India over the winter

Amazing to think Atherton will be captain of this side in a year... he’s been in and out more times than Ron Jeremy’s member...[DOUBLEPOST=1609446318][/DOUBLEPOST]He’s dropped again in India over the winter

Doesn't it go to Stewie for a bit 1st? Because he didn't didn't enough on his plate

Doesn't it go to Stewie for a bit 1st? Because he didn't didn't enough on his plate

Stewie captains the 2nd test in India as Gooch was ill from having a “dodgy prawn curry” with Gatting. Richard Blakey kept though and Gooch returned for the 3rd test.

Have scored fast in the morning session of day 2, scoring 124/4 in 28 overs to lunch on 392/8...

Lost Ramprakash for 32, Gooch for 159, Lewis (a stupid run out) for 45 and Pringle for 5...

On Mallender, Tufnell and Devon to get us to 400![DOUBLEPOST=1609501240][/DOUBLEPOST]The question of how my attack will fare on a pitch that has made theirs look harmless gives me concern...

A vital 20 from Mallender, some “tip and run”, overthrows and a shocking “not out” lbw from Dickie Bird when Malcolm was bang in front helped me up to 412 all out from 117.1 overs.

Far and away my best inns for a long time - I last passed 400 against Sri Lanka at the end of the 91 summer. Oh, and I lost that game!!

Can we capitalise on our good start and save the series?

Users who are viewing this thread