England in the 90s

How toothless you ask?

Well in 39 overs of bowling they’ve taken precisely as many wickets (1) as Mike Atherton has taken in 6 overs.

Who you got thus time?

its the 4th test attack of Lewis, Mallender, Munton and Pringle.

Mallender struck with the new ball, and Pringle has kept it tight, otherwise been a horror show.

3 wickets for Hick, 1 for Athers and a non-striker run out are keeping me in the hunt: they’re 164/6 chasing 313, Inzy and Moin Khan at the crease.

its the 4th test attack of Lewis, Mallender, Munton and Pringle.

Mallender struck with the new ball, and Pringle has kept it tight, otherwise been a horror show.

3 wickets for Hick, 1 for Athers and a non-striker run out are keeping me in the hunt: they’re 164/6 chasing 313, Inzy and Moin Khan at the crease.

Well, that's bleak :lol

Being an utter loser, I have done some analysis on the 4 tests vs Pakistan (1 still to play).

I've bowled 554 overs of seam in the series so far, taking 39 wickets for 1,659. This is an average of 42.54, a strike rate of 85.23, and an economy rate of 2.99. I've bowled 70 maidens, so 1 maiden every 7.91 overs of seam.

I've bowled 157.4 overs of Spin, taking 16 wickets for 294. That's an average of 18.38, a strike rate of 59.03 and an economy rate of 1.87. I've bowled 34 maidens which is a maiden every 4.63 overs of spin.

My seam attack has been fairly poor, admittedly, but my 4 spinners are:

Salisbury - 4/118 off 60 overs, 14 maidens
Hick - 12/186 off 94.4 overs, 18 maidens
Atherton - 2/24 off 16 overs, 5 maidens
Ramprakash - 0/6 off 3 overs, 0 maidens

Highest wicket taking seamers are:
Botham - 7/205 off 70 overs, 12 maidens
Lewis - 7/431 off 142 overs, 18 maidens
Malcolm - 6/204 off 66 overs, 8 maidens.

Anyway, i shouldn't complain as Hick has just spun me to victory in the 4th test with 6/67 in the 2nd inns, 9/88 in the match.

Being an utter loser, I have done some analysis on the 4 tests vs Pakistan (1 still to play).

I've bowled 554 overs of seam in the series so far, taking 39 wickets for 1,659. This is an average of 42.54, a strike rate of 85.23, and an economy rate of 2.99. I've bowled 70 maidens, so 1 maiden every 7.91 overs of seam.

I've bowled 157.4 overs of Spin, taking 16 wickets for 294. That's an average of 18.38, a strike rate of 59.03 and an economy rate of 1.87. I've bowled 34 maidens which is a maiden every 4.63 overs of spin.

Anyway, i shouldn't complain as Hick has just spun me to victory in the 4th test with 6/67 in the 2nd inns, 9/88 in the match.

So "spin" meaning "loopy flighty stuff"?

The Lockdown tournament:

67 spinners took 397 wickets at an average of 22.36, strike rate 15.38 and economy 8.73
98 seamers took 303 wickets at an average of 39.14, strike rate 26.06 and economy 9.01

hi mate i think its 1990 England v Pakistan 1992 /93 teams i think when back on tomorrow i will confirm blockerdave . i know some of the Pakistan players were coming down the wicket wicket which was nice to see.
Blockerdave and dale88 i was wrong England 92/93 Pakistan 90s here i go 3rd day need early wickets . will be back later.

Hick spins England back into the series.

Needing a win to avoid series defeat, England won the toss and chose to bat first at Headingley.

Having made several changes to the team and gone for an all seam attack of Lewis, Munton, the returning Pringle and debutant Mallender, England would have been encouraged by the grass on the wicket and the prospect of overcast conditions later in the game.

82 from Gower and 77 from Ramprakash took them up to 314, a disappointing total having been 219/4 at one stage.

The total looked better after dismissing Pakistan for 199, helped by 3 run outs. A concern might have been that the seamers only took 4 wickets - 2 apiece for Munton and Mallender. With Mushtaq having taken 6 of Pakistan’s wickets, have England fatally misread the pitch?

England needed to set a challenging total, and and looked well placed to do so at 100/1 but soon tumbled to 138/6 and 174/9 before a last wicket stand of 23 helped England to 197 and set a target of 314. Again though half the wickets fell to spin, with Mushtaq taking another 4 for 10 in the match.

Mallender had Sohail caught early at bat pad, but after that England looked toothless with the ball. Gooch turned to the part time spin of Hick and Atherton, and even Ramprakash had 3 overs...

It came up trumps as Hick led the way with 6/67 and Atherton’s 2/24 including the priceless wicket of Raja for 85 who was threatening to win the match almost single handed.

A nail-biting win for England by 61 runs late on the final day. England now have a chance to share the series if they win the final test at the Oval

sounds like my England and @Mouseydread Pakistan decades team. Good luck!
HI Mate well yourself and @Mouseydread You Have done well with the teams you have created well done you both . All just got Pakistan all out for 489 a lead of 239 runs . Been a nightmare first two wickets went in 3 overs for only 22 runs last partnership was worth 76 Mahmood 35 and Younis 41 till pringle bowled him . Sohail 103 Anwar 60 armed 94 was the best of the top order middle order went cheaply. Englands bowling was dire to say the least . malcolm 19 ov 82 runs 1 wkt defreitas 19 ov 95 runs botham 17ov 95 runs 2 wkts pringle 20.1 overs 74 runs 3 wkts tufnell 22.ov 96 runs 1 wkt . hick 12 ov 38 runs 1wkt . what i will say they 52 extras got my back up 35 was nb 8 byes 1lb 8 wd or well see how englands 2 innings go not expecting much but you never no know . let you all know later . thanks ian

HI Mate well yourself and @Mouseydread You Have done well with the teams you have created well done you both . All just got Pakistan all out for 489 a lead of 239 runs . Been a nightmare first two wickets went in 3 overs for only 22 runs last partnership was worth 76 Mahmood 35 and Younis 41 till pringle bowled him . Sohail 103 Anwar 60 armed 94 was the best of the top order middle order went cheaply. Englands bowling was dire to say the least . Malcolm 19 ova 82 runs 1 wk. defreitas 19 ova 95 runs Botham 17ov 95 runs 2 wkts pringle 20.1 overs 74 runs 3 wkts tufnell 22.ov 96 runs 1 wkt . hick 12 ov 38 runs 1wkt . what i will say they 52 extras got my back up 35 was nb 8 byes 1lb 8 wd or well see how England's 2 innings go not expecting much but you never no know . let you all know later . thanks ian
I'm a celebrity get me out of here . Just can not believe what's happened the test is all over .and England are all out before tea on the 3rd day lost by innings 176 runs . top score was Gooch 19 Atherton 16 .Well the rest not bother going to say Pakistan bowlers Afridi 3 for 10 and Mahmood 3 for 18 absolutely stunned the way i played . series pakistan lead 1.0 on to lords for the next test . thanks ian

Before I go on to the final test, a quick comment/word of advice.

This series so far has been probably the most enjoyable series I've played. I would genuinely recommend to anyone not getting good results to have a look at the settings I've posted, have a look at how I set up my teams with ratings etc. and give something similar a go. I'm sure my exact settings won't be for everyone, everyone plays the game differently, but I am definitely getting very good test match results.

Another word of advice is - change your pitch and weather conditions. I've often criticised the BA games for everything feeling too samey, but actually you can see some genuine variety in pitches, and the effects of different pitch types, ages, cracks and weather.

This game is great, but could still go up a level. The main changes I'd like in the next game (aside from the perennial requests for better AI fields/bowling changes/use of all rounders) would be:

1. Make left arm seam better. The only bum note of the series so far is Wasim Akram being too easy to face/hit through mid-wicket/mid-on. Waqar's averaging about 19, Wasim's averaging over 50. There are a couple of changes needed here:
    1. Similar "line" changes that were made for right arm bowlers bowling to left hand batsmen in the last patch. This made a big and brilliant difference - I found it far too easy to score through leg as a left hander previously. Left armers need to push more to a 4th/5th stump line, with the odd moving either way it'll be more challenging. Of course, it's imperative that their skill and the conditions affects their accuracy and movement - a left-armer on a bad day will get milked through leg, and end up pushing it too wide the other way and get hit through extra cover if they're not bringing it back.
    2. Some left armer only field logic. A left armer might risk no mid-off because if you're driving and getting it wrong you might nick off, but i don't think they should often be bowling to fields without a mid-on.
  2. Sort out the spin bowling. No question spin is too overpowered, as the stats I posted earlier show. The AI needs to be better at handling the spin. Using their feet more might help. So far I've only seen very well set batsmen use their feet to the spinners.
  3. Bounce physics seems off - 2 balls bouncing in the same spot and one might already be dropping down before if reaches the batsman, the other is missing the wickets. The AI also regularly plays quite full deliveries off the back foot whereas I wouldn't be able to. This doesn't seem to be "uneven bounce", it's not a day 4/5 phenomenon, it happens all the time.
  4. Notwithstanding 3, there SHOULD be uneven bounce physics, on day 5 particularly on grassy, dry, dusty or cracked pitches lets see the odd one shoot low and the odd one bounce high. Shouldn't be a lot, just occasional.
  5. The ball wear visuals don't work when you don't simulate, and since i never simulate it's a bit rubbish always seeing a pristine ball.

Users who are viewing this thread