Story -- Englands International Season 2006/07 -- England V India -- [C2005]

Nice bit of TV analysis going on there. Reminds me of Simon Hughes stuck in the sweat van during the ashes.

Off topic: I've found out the trick for getting 'bowled' wickets. You're on to something with these omelettes! First one I've had in ages - and I bowled 2 batsmen last night.

Back on topic: Enjoyable reading mate.

FishBowlMan said:
Nice bit of TV analysis going on there. Reminds me of Simon Hughes stuck in the sweat van during the ashes.

My new favourite cricket saying!!! Sweat Van!!!! LOL

Lunch Update comming your way in a few minutes!

-----

Pepsi Test Series
England Vs India
2nd Test
Day 2
Kolkata

-----

Lunch Day 2:

India have eeked out another English wicket before lunch here on day 2 in Kolkata. It was that of Marcus Trescothick who fell to a wonder catch from Sachin! Strauss wa the man to fall last night and India are really struggling to get quick wickets here, England fell in drabs of three, four and even bunches of 5. England dominated this session with some solid batting, Vaughan and Trescothick took their time, finding the gaps and knocking it down into the ground for one. Vaughan looked like he wanted to kick on but struggled to get his eye in, as has Paul Collingwood sinse he came to the crease. India restricted Vaughan with immaculate lines in the edgy overs before lunch as he rested on 48, he will have wanted to het his 50 but now he has tot hink about it over lunch, clever thinking by the Indians. They are now starting to figure out how to bowl to England to keep the score down but they cant seem to get the wickets.... Is it a case of too little too late??

12rj5.jpg

23gy.jpg

India Lead By 59 Runs

England: 154/2

M Vaughan: 48* (104)
P Collingwood: 11* (27)

I Pathan: 2/54
Z Khan: 0/65
S Tendulkar: 0/27

----

-----

Pepsi Test Series
England Vs India
2nd Test
Day 2
Kolkata

-----

Vaughan Reaches Landmark:

Micheal Vaughan is at the halfway point on the way to another international test century, he really is a fine batsmen and the fact that it comes from 105 balls is a testiment to his temprement. He has scored few boundaries in this particular innings and has concentrated on running hard for singles and two's. He struggled a bit at the start as highlighted by those close LBW appeals but now seems to have found his rhythm and will be boosted by the fact that he has scored the half century and now has a new goal. If he carries on like this he might just reach it and he is due one. He and Trescothick looked just like they did a few years ago when they opened together which, i think, is the main reason why England build such good scores, because they have a solid platfomr at the top, they now just need to cement the number 4 place and they have the finished article i think.

19rr1.jpg

India Lead By 55 runs

England: 158/2

M Vaughan: 50* (110)
P Collingwood: 12* (27)

IP Pathan: 2/58
S Tendulkar: 0/27

----

-----

Pepsi Test Series
England Vs India
2nd Test
Day 2
Kolkata

-----

Collingwood Perishes To Swing:

Paul Collingwood is the next England batsman to be sent back to the pavillion, and he also becomes the first right handed batsman to succum to Indians new plan. He played patiently for his 18 which came from 40 balls. Irfan Pathan, who naturally swings the ball with his action, got his third wicket of the match and proved that you dont need express pace to be your contries premier fast bowler. The ball that took the wicket didnt swing, but, Collingwood played for it to swing and missed the line, this time it pitch in line and went straight on, Collingwood was to late to correct himself and the umpire has an easy decision, the only doubt in his mind was the fact that it may have been going over the stumps, however, Collingwood had survived a few close shouts prior to this and the umpire maybe felt under pressure as the Indian team were becomming irritated and more and more animated with thier shouts, a fair decision that India cant dwell on for long because the next two batsmen in are Kevin Peitersen and Andrew Flintoff.

22bo1.jpg

India Lead By 40 runs

England: 173/3

M Vaughan: 56* (119)
K Peitersen: 2* (2)

IP Pathan: 3/65
S Tendulkar: 0/33

----

-----

Pepsi Test Series
England Vs India
2nd Test
Day 2
Kolkata

-----

Harbhajan Begins With A Double Wicket Maiden:

Most of the crowd were wondering why Rahul Dravid was bowling Sachin Tendulkar instead of Harbhajan Singh and when they were going to see the magical off spinner replace the magical batsmen. They got their answer soon enough and what an answer it was! A double wicket maiden in which he dismissed the England captain and the English talisman. Michael Vaughan fell to his first ball of the innings, Harbhajan looked like he had something to prove as he started hsi run up, he looked determined and he didn't dissapoint, a big spinner pitched outside off stump got Vaughan comming forward into a forward defensive, he played way inside the line, it was poorly judged, he didnt get to the pitch and the ball took the egde. It was a big deflection but Dhoni was alert and he clasped onto the ball, it was going to carry to the slip anyway i think.

16jw2.jpg

With that Andrew Flintoff came to the crease and it looked like wave after wave of attack minded players who were going to be hard to budge as it had proved for India so far. The first ball he faced he cliped to the legside but it went straight to Dravid at square leg. The second ball was similair to Vaughan's but it drifted in, Flintoff saw it above his eye level because of the flight, he went for the big drive down the ground and got made to look a fool! The ball ripped in in a classic off spinners delivery, it got between bat and pad, crashed into midle stump and knocked it back. Dhoni and the team ran to congratulate the spinner and the Indian fans went wild!

23ca1.jpg

India Lead By 16 runs

England: 195/5

K Peitersen: 16* (30)
G Jones: 0* (1)

IP Pathan: 3/71
S Tendulkar: 0/41
A Kumble: 0/9
H Singh: 2/0

----

-----

Pepsi Test Series
England Vs India
2nd Test
Day 2
Kolkata

-----

Pietersen Passes 50:

Kevin Pietersen is never one to hang around and a brisk 50 from 61 balls is relatively slow for him but the situation, the bowling and the pitch demanded it from him and he delivered on all accounts. He has mixed some typical Pietersen shots with some lovely drop down singles and well run two's and three's. He is now joined at the crease by Geraint Jones, these two wont have batted together too much and will need to forge a partnership before the tail is exposed. It would be nice for Englands tail to go out all guns blazing having a decent lead, they will be looking for around 100/150 runs. Pietersen could go on to make a century here and they will be wanting Jones to do the same if he possibly can, as many runs as possible at this point because there are three whole days left, they need to just take their time and they will be fine.

10ad2.jpg

England Lead By 26 runs

England: 239/5

K Pietersen: 53* (66)
G Jones: 5* (31)

IP Pathan: 3/110
S Tendulkar: 0/42
A Kumble: 0/9
H Singh: 2/2

----

Pietersen has played well.
I just think Jones has to start acclerating now that he's in.
Harbajan's figures aren't bad.

RoboRocks said:
Harbajan's figures aren't bad.

Not bad at all, with Pathan nicely poised for another creaming :) (well, not really, but anyway...)
Very nice story, great stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread