Group D - Ireland, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe

Well it's irrelevant, really. The Pura Cup final might be a cracker as well, doesn't mean Tasmania and NSW should be at the World Cup. It doesn't really prove anything except that Zimbabwe have destroyed their cricket team, which has been known for quite a while.

Prince EWS said:
Actually, that's not the case. The tie is the best possible result for the hope of Pakistan missing out on the Super 8s. If Pakistan lose either game now, they'll miss out regardless. If Zimbabwe had won this game and Ireland had beaten Pakistan, for example, Pakistan would probably still go through on a likely higher NRR - but now Pakistan actually have to win both games or they'll definitely miss out.
Is that true? If it is, this could be an interesting group !! Go minnows!

They've got some talented players though, Sibanda, etc, but not a patch on what they could have is it? Such a shame and such a waste too.

I enjoyed tonights game though and Bray was brilliant.

What a great match that was... I mean the ending... was pure thrill and a great game to watch for a neutral... Zimbabwe should have won...
BTW how come zimbabwe lost their last wicket,,,, did the keeper run the Rainsford out???

Adarsh said:
Is that true? If it is, this could be an interesting group !! Go minnows!

It is indeed. Pakistan play both Ireland then Zimbabwe. As Ireland and Zimbabwe now have 1 point and Pakistan have zerio if they lose to either then Ireland/Zimbabwe will have 3 points (it is 2 for a win isn't it?) and Pakistan can only have a maximum of 2. So in that aspect it could cause a massive problem for Pakistan, and given the bowling problems Pakistan have....

Sureshot said:
It is indeed. Pakistan play both Ireland then Zimbabwe. As Ireland and Zimbabwe now have 1 point and Pakistan have zerio if they lose to either then Ireland/Zimbabwe will have 3 points (it is 2 for a win isn't it?) and Pakistan can only have a maximum of 2. So in that aspect it could cause a massive problem for Pakistan, and given the bowling problems Pakistan have....
Unless of course West Indies lose the next two matches. Still, its got me worried.

Oh come on we lose to WI and immediately everyone is like Pakistan are gonna lose to the minnows.... I mean please there is more chance of us going through then gettin beat by them

hassan said:
Oh come on we lose to WI and immediately everyone is like Pakistan are gonna lose to the minnows.... I mean please there is more chance of us going through then gettin beat by them
I think you'll find that a lot of people predicted a loss against the minnows before Pakistan even played the West Indies. In fact, I actually have less confidence in Ireland beating Pakistan than I did before I saw the West Indies game - Pakistan bowled much better than I predicted.

nightprowler10 said:
Unless of course West Indies lose the next two matches. Still, its got me worried.
If the West Indies lost the next two matches though, Ireland and Zimbabwe would then both be on 3 points (well, one of them on 5, given this line of conversation is based on Pakistan losing a game), meaning Pakistan's 2 still wouldn't be good enough.

Ireland/Zim 5
Ireland/Zim 3
Pakistan 2
West Indies 2

The only way Pakistan can qualify is by winning both matches - or drawing them I guess, but that's too complicated!

What a game!! - well done the lads - great team effort!! So proud to be Irish - just wish I was out there in Jamaica now for the party!! The fans were fantastic!! I seen so many people in the crowd that I knew too - really surreal!! Hope this gets plenty of press attention tomorrow in the papers here. Cricket in Ireland is long overdue some proper media attention!!

Bing on Pakistan on St.Patricks Day!!

What a cracker of a match. Well done to both sides. Especially Ireland, the underdogs.

Jeez, just watched the replays. What a shambles Ireland were in the field, they must have dropped 5 catches by my counting. Dear me. Missed run-outs also.

Zimbabwe wern't great either. Lots of misfields.

I actually want Pakistan to qualify so that India can add to their unbeaten World Cup streak against them. It would be brilliant to knock Pakistan out on April 15.

Users who are viewing this thread