ICCCT2006: Group A

Allot of people are overlooking the fact that this tournament strikes the return of the most destructive ODI opening batsman in world cricket today, Adam Gilchrist. :) So it won't be all up to Simon Katich with a strike-rate of 20.

I'm bitterly dissapointed that Hayden didn't get a spot as everytime he plays in India he dismantles whatever bowling attack they put together.

Australia will be fine though. I'd imigane Ponting will bat much better then he has in the past in India and they have a middle order of Symonds, Clarke, Watson & Michael Hussey. Glenn McGrath is also back.

If Australia want this enough, they'll win it.

aussie1st said:
I know the English are a crap ODI unit but like you guys they always lift against us. ODI cricket is a on your day game and if England are on their game I wouldn't be surprised seeing them win.
And if we are on our game, I wouldnt be suprised at seeing a 200+ run win.

cricketmad09 said:
And if we are on our game, I wouldnt be suprised at seeing a 200+ run win.
If either Zim and Bangladesh qualifies then only. :D

I'm bitterly dissapointed that Hayden didn't get a spot as everytime he plays in India he dismantles whatever bowling attack they put together.

I am equally surprised. He has proved himself a dangerous batsman in India. But he as dropped from the One Day squad quite a while back so... But has he been performing well in Domestic Cricket (limited overs? Well enough for the selectory to start rethinking their decision of dropping him?

India - Home advantage is there for them otherwise they would have had no chances if you look at there current form.

Australia - Capable of winning everything, anywhere.

W.I. - If they continue there current form, we might see them going through.

SRL - Always perform well in sub-continent and are on a roll atm, so they are the favorites IMO.

England - will have to work very hard in order to get through. May be they are least favorites.

All in all , this group can be described as a 'Group of Death' IMO.

So the top two go through?...in that case i'll go Australia and Sri Lanka.

Tempting to say India but i have a feeling about these lankans. And ben you're right if Australia want this enough they will win it.

If Sri Lanka lose to WI,they'll land up in this group otherwise they'll go to Group B

shravi said:
I am equally surprised. He has proved himself a dangerous batsman in India. But he as dropped from the One Day squad quite a while back so... But has he been performing well in Domestic Cricket (limited overs? Well enough for the selectory to start rethinking their decision of dropping him?

Nah he doesn't have enough time to play Domestic cricket with the schedule the Test team has. Last season they were entirely busy with South Africa.

He played 2 ODI's though. Made 49, and 54 in reasonably good time on a pitch where every other accomplished batsman struggled.

I think if Katich struggles in the Champions trophy and Hayden has a good Ashes campaign and VB series that it could go a long way for him booking himself in a World Cup spot.

We all know Hayden is capable of playing well in ODI's. He just had a purple patch. A phase when runs don't come so easily but these phases are in most player' careers. I am sure he will make the cut sooner or later.

Hayden will have to contend with Watson first. I got a feeling the selectors are leaning towards opening him over here and seeing how he goes. With that it means we have an extra bowler and no Katich.

Personally I don't see why Katich is still playing for Australia. Fair enough if he was always lasting to roughly the 30th over then he would provide a good platform for Gilchrist and then Ponting to really go for it alongside him. But there must surely be better options, and to me it would seem getting Symonds, Watson and Clarke all in the team is a far better route to take. All 3 are good Odi batsman, whilst can all offer options with the ball. With someone like Lee coming in at 9, that is a long batting lineup.

..and with rock solid Hussey in the middle/lower middle order, they don't need a man like Katich to hold one end for 30 overs.

If he did last up to 30 overs in almost every innings then I think he would have a part to play. Would provide an excellent platform for the rest of the lineup. He is good at picking up singles and giving the strike to the quick scoring batsman. However since he does not consistently do that, I don't really think he has a role to play. At least not yet, he still has time on his side, and no doubt is a talented player.

"He is good at picking up singles and giving the strike to the quick scoring batsman. However since he does not consistently do that"

He is terrible at picking up singles and getting the other batsmen on strike. (If we are talking about Katich) He also gives you pleanty of chances to run him or his partner out and throws his wicket away once he starts to look good.

With all the talent Australia have, Hayden and these youngsters why do they need Katich?

Watson is wasted down the order so him at 6-8 is stupid and him not in the team is just as stupid. So only option is to open him and let him get settled into his inns before unleashing.

Users who are viewing this thread