India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Of course, India, Pakistan and South Africa are making a lot of money out of these also.

India need a breakthrough at this moment it looks too simple, i think indias bowling attack against africa, pakistan and england in this tour will be a concern

South Africa won the match with four wickets. Great all-round performances of Kallis. He hit 91 runs, grabbed two wickets in the final over and two catches.

Good game fought well by both teams and the better bowlers came out best. A profitable toss to win too, as the pitch became better to bat on and it also helps alot to know when you are chasing a low target.

Well done to both teams :)

Not a bad game at all.
What made the difference was the 5th bowler.

Good game fought well by both teams and the better bowlers came out best. A profitable toss to win too, as the pitch became better to bat on and it also helps alot to know when you are chasing a low target.

Well done to both teams :)

The South African bowlers did well at the start and the end of the innings but I seriously think they need to get a spinner to get the breakthrough during the middle overs. Batting wise they got a few partnerships consistently but Kallis the man that made the difference in the end.

As far as India are concerned, Sachin and Dravid probably took a few balls to many in that partnership. India were some 20 runs short of what would have been a winning score. But having said that it must be remembered that after losing two early wickets, it was important India get a partnership going.

As far as India are concerned, Sachin and Dravid probably took a few balls to many in that partnership. India were some 20 runs short of what would have been a winning score. But having said that it must be remembered that after losing two early wickets, it was important India get a partnership going.

Yes, but the speed of that partnership was hard to determine beforehand. That is why chasing on a low scoring match is better.

There was no sense of urgency in the last 2 overs. A win was unlikely, but SA needed 8 to win off 10 balls. It could have been tight if India actually tried! India missed Dhoni today. Perfect example of what he brings to the team, shown by how they played when he wasn't there. 242 was not good enough, it was 25 runs too little. Tendulkar played a good innings, shouldn't blame him - leave him alone. 185/2 after 40 overs after a bad start on a slow pitch is a good position. With eight wickets in hand they should have hit 70-90 runs in the last ten.

There was no sense of urgency in the last 2 overs. A win was unlikely, but SA needed 8 to win off 10 balls. It could have been tight if India actually tried! India missed Dhoni today. Perfect example of what he brings to the team, shown by how they played when he wasn't there. 242 was not good enough, it was 25 runs too little. Tendulkar played a good innings, shouldn't blame him - leave him alone. 185/2 after 40 overs after a bad start on a slow pitch is a good position. With eight wickets in hand they should have hit 70-90 runs in the last ten.

spot on there!

I have to say i was not that impressed with r p singh. I think india might struggle in this tour with the bowling attack like i said before. Does anyone have any information on the other new bowlers india have selected for this tour

That Chawla is having a very good entry in ODI 3 wickets in each of his games with an average of 12 and SR 20.

Good win for SA though Kallis doing the usual anchoring and their bowling has some depth even without Pollock.

Chawla's looking very impressive so far..and consistent too. Only 18, too.

I think the problem was that India didn't have enough on the board. Wickets fell like crazy once Dravid got out, they should have scored 10-20 more runs than they did (and they would've if they didn't lose wickets so fast near the end of their innings). Also, batting second was a really wise choice. I think the Indian bowlers did fine (given the pitch...esp the spinners) and brought the match to the 49th over - just that the batting collapsed when it should've fired. Nel and Hall did awesome in bowling. Kallis was undoubtedly the day's hero.

Also, Tendulkar played too slow. I love the guy, but seriously...143 balls for a 99 is slow. I understand that he couldn't lose his wicket because two were lost already, but after India had 100 on the board, he could've looked to play faster. Even Dravid played with a superior strike rate than him - and he's the...wall.

It'll be interesting to see what will happen in the 2nd match, when/if the Indian team wont be sick...esp if Dhoni comes back, who's a good finisher of an innings...something that was missing today.

Last edited:
Exactly. I don't know what all that lack of attitude was all about. For the last 2-3 overs, they looked like they were just playing to get it over with. A couple of dot balls and Kallis might have done something stupid. Also, why choose Yuvraj over Sachin? I think we gave up a little too early.

I have to say i was not that impressed with r p singh. I think india might struggle in this tour with the bowling attack like i said before. Does anyone have any information on the other new bowlers india have selected for this tour
Ishant Sharma is very young and has only played one game. He is supposed to be quick but didn't really show it. He is tall and lanky, and the bounce may help him in the test matches. Ranadeb Bose is "military medium" as far as I know. RP Singh didn't impress me much either but he really hasn't done so for whatever games he's played in his short international career.

Also, Tendulkar played too slow. I love the guy, but seriously...143 balls for a 99 is slow. I understand that he couldn't lose his wicket because two were lost already, but after India had 100 on the board, he could've looked to play faster. Even Dravid played with a superior strike rate than him - and he's the...wall.
While I wish Tendulkar had played quicker, losing him even after we had 100 on the board may not have been great. Of course, Yuvraj would have had more time to settle in, but apart from that our middle/lower-middle order was really untested.

Last edited:
I agree with Adarsh and Sohum that the Indian approach yesterday was baffling.
Ganguly was brought into bowl within the powerplays and that is where they got the momentum from.
He could have got in one of his spinner to bowl at that time for a couple of overs.
Secondly I could not believe that Dravid had spread the field out and was bowling Yuvraj when they had about 50 runs to get.
And why did he not try Tendulkar ?
He`d have been the ideal choice for the last over, at least if not a longer spell.
He was clearly trying to defend the target when the need of the hour was wickets.

What was not heartening to see that Kallis got all those runs by just milking the bowlers and none of the batsmen had to try anything expansinve to keep the Req RR down.

Users who are viewing this thread