India in England/Ireland/Scotland

More work on his keeping? His keeping has been pretty good all throughout this summer. Dhoni on the other hand - who just failed twice against Sri Lanka A - has plenty of work to do in all areas.
Nope. The number of byes he's let past is more than Dhoni has (percentage wise). Although that's probably due to Harmison and Plunkett. Dhoni's keeping is not bad. He's fumbled a couple of times the last test but that was the only time he's actually kept poorly. He's not dropped a catch yet in international cricket and his keeping to the spinners is decent too. Remember, Prior dropped an easy catch at Lord's.

I'm sure I saw the stat that Prior has only conceded 27 less byes than Dhoni but has only kept for around a 3rd the amount of innings. Even if we take Harmison etc out of the equation that still points to Prior needing to work on his keeping.

Last edited:
The point is; Neither Dhoni or Prior are test match level keepers. They both need to work on their keeping. It's fruitless to argue that one is better than the other because neither of them are that brilliant, Keeping wise.

The byes we concede mostly aren't down to the keeper (unless we stick Will Jefferson behind the stumps) it's down to the diabolical accuracy of some of the bowlers, most notably Harmison and Plunkett. Stats mean nothing without the consideration of who is bowling. Prior is by no means the done deal or is certainly not a great keeper. I don't think he needs a lot more work on his keeping though, he needs to work on it. Just like most keepers new to international cricket. I rarely think that when we do concede a bye "Prior should've done better" How many times did he stop a wide leg side ball from Anderson at TB? Or Tremlett who occasionally did it.

And what Animator said (though I didn't bring up the whole Dhoni thing, honest.....)

Interesting ODI squad, good to see Ravi back. Whether he'll play is another matter.

Very happy to have Ravi back. Made a big impact in the WC and I imagine he'll replace Ian Bell in the side for the ODI's batting at 3 I believe. However I'm just speculating.

Dhoni vs. Prior? Considering it's Dhoni's first tour of England and that Prior has been keeping in England pretty much his whole life, one expects him to read the conditions better if he's as good a keeper. Farrookh Engineer I believe, or another of India's best wicket-keepers, apparently had a chat with Dhoni about how keeping in England is much harder and much more different than anywhere else in the world.

I think Dhoni's done decent. He's fumbled a lot, but hasn't dropped a catch yet, which is what's really important. It's England, the conditions are different, its his first tour of England. Give the guy a break.

As far as the tour is concerned, he's made more runs than Prior, given that most of them have come from one score.
Source: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/eng...ing/most_runs_career.html?id=2872;type=series

England's batsmen are dominating according to the above link, and India's top three bowlers; Kumble, Zaheer, and RP, are doing well, as shown by the link below.
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/eng.../most_wickets_career.html?id=2872;type=series

Last edited:
Very Good ODi Squad vs India

Cook (Talented Opener and I believe can succeed at the 50 Over format)
Prior (Shown to be agressive and if he gets it right could be a thorn in the Indian side)
Pietersen (Must Play at 3. He is Englands best batsman and if not the worlds best batsman)
Collingwood(Experienced Campaigner and is very reliable)
FlintoffUnstoppable on his day but can be unreliable
BoparaVery Talented OD Player and am looking forward to watching him play
ShahGood WI Series and is another danger player
MascarenhasBowling all rounder who is very economical and he provides lower order hitting
TremlettBounce, Good asset to England
SidebottomLeft Arm Variety and swings it. Could be destroyed against India
PanesarLooks Uncomfortable at One Dayers

We've got a decent team with Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Bopara, Shah, Mascarenhas and Tremlett looking good.
Only worries are Prior, Sidebottom and Panesar.

We're not quite at the Indian level but we've got enough quality in there to be competitive.

^^ England has a good squad and they can win matches.It will be one of the exciting ODI series ever b/w India and England.May be series of the year so far after all those incidents in the ongoing test series.:p

If England don't win at the Oval then we'll win the ODI series. You have my word.

We win at the Oval and it's got 7-0 to India written all over it.

for what?

They haven't won a series outside England for a while now.

besides that, i agree..the incidents @ TB are being blown out of proportion. The third test will start in 4 days and time to discuss about that.

I can't recall any teams in the World that have won a series out of their Country recently.

Users who are viewing this thread