India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I haven't visited the forums for quite a while now, but after reading this hilarious quote couldn't stop myself from sharing it with you all... hope it lightens the debate ...

cheers

Good to see you back after a long long time !
Sticking to the topic, India have beaten SA (2-1) since the WC debacle.

People who say stump mics should be turned off, are the ones saying questionable things. These guys are professionals and I believe, anything they say on the field should be allowed to be heard by the public. If they can't help themselves maybe they need disciplining.

It isn't a problem with teams who play with fairplay and respect.

Where's the proof of any team playing without fairplay and respect?

I'm not saying stump mics should be turned of to the public so the players can get nasty but so they don't get berated for 'sledging' someone's favourite player. What happens on the field stays on the field.

What happens on the field stays on the field.

If you want to go down that route, then why have live coverage at all? Why not just read the newspapers for results and stop live cricket telecasts altogether and show us only edited highlights?

Point of fact is, cricket is a live televised event and players shouldn't expect any privacy on the field of play and especially when the ball is in play... if anybody's going to sledge, they should be bold enough to accept that a million viewers on television would probably be listening in... that awareness might actually temper them a bit.

Last edited:
Probably wrong time to say this but India's One Day squad has been named and in my opinion, it is quite a strong one and it includes the return of Munaf Patel.

One-day squad:

Rahul Dravid (capt),
Mahendra Singh Dhoni,
Sachin Tendulkar,
Sourav Ganguly,
Yuvraj Singh,
Ramesh Powar,
Dinesh Karthik,
Zaheer Khan,
RP Singh,
Munaf Patel,
Robin Uthappa,
Rohit Sharma,
Piyush Chawla,
Gautam Gambhir,
Ajit Agarkar

Source: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/twenty20wc/content/current/story/305839.html

good to see Munna back, but I doubt he will get a show in with the 3 seamers (rest for Sreesanth) who are doing an amazing job.
Sree's just been unlucky..

No, Sreesanth has not been 'unlucky', he has a poor List A record and poor ODI record. He goes for over five runs an over and costs about 35 runs per wicket in both domestic and international 50 over games. His style of bowling simply does not suit the One Day game.

Meh, I think he has potential.
He has something none of the Indian bowlers of the past have ever had- raring, blitzing, in-your-face aggression.
He has what it takes to be the next lee or akthar.
India needs a full throttle quick bowler-Sree's the closest we got. We have to groom him to become that, or at least close.

Meh, I think he has potential.
He has something none of the Indian bowlers of the past have ever had- raring, blitzing, in-your-face aggression.
He has what it takes to be the next lee or akthar.
India needs a full throttle quick bowler-Sree's the closest we got. We have to groom him to become that, or at least close.

While it certainly is entertaining to watch some of his antics, one can't compare sreesanth to lee.the latter has got far more brains and guts.sreesanth's full of nerves and in that yeah he might end up being India's akhtar.and dont remember last when simple express and wayward pace won an ODI for any team...

but anyway i think its a pretty powerful Indian ODI team out there...

The TV viewers need the stump mics in order to know whats happening.
Without them they can't here edges.
Players in my opinion should watch their behavior and don't try to cover it up with excuses.

if anything they should be turnt up lol, its more entertaining to watch cricket when you can hear them sledging, players dont swear much when they sledge, they could have a editor and hae the speaking a minute back or something so they could not sound some parts out

I think that it's fair (and obvious) to say that for starters, it is a different series now, though England certainly performed better than India based on expectations.

But on overall ODI reputation, I wouldn't be discounting India at all. David Graveney is kind of right because as he says, you need consistency. England beat Australia in Australia and based on that they should be capable of matching it with the world, certainly at home. For a 2nd best Test side, they are underperfoming in that aspect as well.

They sorely need a kick in the butt at the moment, certainly it is a very different team to the one that won the Ashes, but it is the current England side now, and it has been going for a year or so now, if they want to be called the 2nd best team they need to start beating the teams below them. Scraping in against India will do nothing to change my view that they are half the side that upset Australia in 2005.

That said, I don't particularly rate India either.

To be fair, we haven't had our 2005 Ashes side since the 2005 Ashes. We are beating teams below us. The only side below us we've lost to in how many years? is Pakistan.

Last edited:
The TV viewers need the stump mics in order to know whats happening.
Without them they can't here edges.
Players in my opinion should watch their behavior and don't try to cover it up with excuses.

That brings up another point I highlighted. Umpires can get berated for missing an edge that we hear on stump mics but they'd never hear it from 22 yards anyway.

Also which player was trying to make an excuse?

Users who are viewing this thread