India in England/Ireland/Scotland

If you guys could beat Australia in some ODI's last year, i'm sure they have a shot against a team who didn't make the Super8's in the World Cup. I wouldn't write England off yet. There have been some changes too. I actually think it'll be a decent series. I'm not expecting a whitewash.

I saw during the coverage yesterday, your media is quite cruel. Someone was reading the paper. Big page on Prior's dropped catch. Not very supportive.

You are basing your prediction juist on the basis of 2 series - The CB Series and the WC 2007 .
If you leave the CB Series out, England were absolutely shocking in ODIs and are still definitely not a better ODI side than India.
Although India had a dreadful WC, they have been a far superior ODI outfit than England.
We have had a fair share of ODI success in 2006 (at least better than England), which a record number of consecutive run chases , a 5-1 drubbing of England, 4-1 drubbing of Pak, 6-1 thrashing of SRL.

WE did have a rough patch in ODIs starting from the Windies tour in 2006.

Our most recent ODI series was a 2-1 win against SA in bowlerfriendly Irish conditions while England`s most recent ODI series was a 2-1 loss against a weak West Indian side at home.
As they say, you`re only as good as your last series.

If you leave the CB Series out, England were absolutely shocking in ODIs and are still definitely not a better ODI side than India.
Although India had a dreadful WC, they have been a far superior ODI outfit than England.

We did have the most horrible form in ODIs starting from Windies. Poor ODI series in Windies followed by poor DLF cup followed by poor Champions Trophy followed by poor ODI series in SA followed by poor WCup.

So totally, our ODI records away from India is the worst one comparing to any quality teams to be honest.

Thats why I always believe, India is a better test playing nation than ODIs. But currently after seeing that SA series recently in this tour, body language have showed some improvements ( Still need to improve a lot though ). So what i expect is a promising fight and trying to win by Indian team rather than giving away the matches for credit.:cool:

Obviously, you rely on Sohum or Saisrini, etc to make valid posts and just nod along as you can't make valid posts yourself.

:DSo, you mean I do not make valid posts ? ;) Did you not have a look at my Reputation ?

The victory over Pakistan was pretty conclusive but I think they are far worse tourists than India are. This is just a grope in the darkness though, because I can't be bothered to look their stats up.

Pakistan are definitely far worse travellers than India, but with Asif in their side things could well change for them.
They`ve lost 10 out of their previous 11 tests against Australia as well.
Their batsmen do superbly well on home tracks tailormade for them.

Do not bring in the fact that Indian tracks are good for batting as well, but I don`t think Indian wickets are as benign as the ones in Pakistan. At least, Indian pitches assist turn.

On the other hand, his catching had a lot to desire. I, for one, do not understand why Ian Chappell considers himself an expert on every facet of cricket. Was he a keeper sometime in his life? This is an honestly ignorant question

You cannot question the validity of Ian Chappel`s comments,though.
His comments are frank and based on the observations he makes.
Most of his points, if not all are quite valid.

England haven`t beaten us in a test series since 1996.
2001 in India was a 1-0 win to India, 2002 in England was a 1-1 draw, 2006 in India was 1-1 as well.
And now this series.
Is there any other side whom you`ve not beaten for 11 years ? I doubt so.

For that matter, England`ve only beaten India once in any series in recent years and that was the 2004 Natwest Challenge.

We did have the most horrible form in ODIs starting from Windies. Poor ODI series in Windies followed by poor DLF cup followed by poor Champions Trophy followed by poor ODI series in SA followed by poor WCup.

So totally, our ODI records away from India is the worst one comparing to any quality teams to be honest.

My post was in comparision of India`s ODI performances since the 2006 season to England`s efforts and nothing else.
I did mention the fact that we had a bad run since the 2006 Windies tour.

We definitely have a decent overall ODI record and have not lost a home ODI series for quite a while which is not what England can boast of.

I do not rule out England`s chances in the ODIs , especially with Flintoff coming back.
Very seldom does any side other than Australia tour a country and win all the silverware.
Since we left the Indian shores for this UK tour, we`ve won the ODI series in Ireland against South Africa and are well on our way to a test series win here unless England pull out the biggest miracle in cricket history.
If we then go on to win the NatWest ODI series, it`ll be a clean sweep of all the silverware on this tour.

Last edited:
A lot of English fans seem surprised at India's performance here in England.

I'd just like to remind everybody that the last time India were here, we drew the series 1-1, so India are definitely not pushovers when travelling to England. And that series in 2002 was a much better English attack when we won the match in Headingley Leeds.

We struggle more against the likes of South Africa and Newzealand when we travel abroad than against England or Australia.

England have been batted out of the series now. Playing for a draw is very hard even on flat pitches. Let's see England's approach now (whether they want to continue to bat positively or not).

Last edited:
England should be postive now.
Nothing to gain so the batsmen should just look to have a bit of fun on this pitch.
Kumble will have a role today on this since it is dusty and will take a bit more spin that yesterday.

A lot of English fans seem surprised at India's performance here in England.

I don't think we're suprised by India's performance. I personally would consider India at home second only to Australia at home in difficulty. What I certainly am frustrated by is how the one thing we had really got ticking - our bowling attack - is now looking as toothless as ever. Our batting has been vulnerable and inconsistant for as long as I can remember but in recent years we've made huge strides in the bowling department, not let good batmen settle and knocked teams over cheaply. I know it's a flat track, I know we've dropped catches and I know that India have some excellent batsmen but letting any team score 650+ is quite frankly shocking.

England should be postive now.
Nothing to gain so the batsmen should just look to have a bit of fun on this pitch.

I'm not sure. Strauss was being positive when he stuck a catch down long leg's throat. I can't think of anything worse than watching the whole batting lineup give their wickets away rather than be got out by good bowling.
I think we just need to play sensibly and build some innings. This ought to be a great chance for someone to hit a big 100. Seeing as we don't bat below number 7, 80's and 90's won't be enough.

England just lacked penetration and the Indians took advantage.
They have showen England how to bat on this wicket and we'll what England's response.

Some luck already for Cook. He has been dropped by Karthik. It was a bit similar drop as the previous one he dropped.

Zaheer Khan is swinging in a way the English bowlers couldn't.

RP Singh got Anderson LBW. This partnership took a lot of time to break. I was thinking it would take half an hour to break it.

Last edited:
Biggest test victories of all time said:
England inns & 579 runs v Australia The Oval 20 Aug 1938 Test # 266
Australia inns & 360 runs v South Africa Johannesburg 22 Feb 2002 Test # 1590
West Indies inns & 336 runs v India Kolkata 31 Dec 1958 Test # 463
Australia inns & 332 runs v England Brisbane 29 Nov 1946 Test # 279
Pakistan inns & 324 runs v New Zealand Lahore 1 May 2002 Test # 1600
West Indies inns & 322 runs v New Zealand Wellington 10 Feb 1995 Test # 1289
West Indies inns & 310 runs v Bangladesh Dhaka 8 Dec 2002 Test # 1630
New Zealand inns & 294 runs v Zimbabwe Harare 7 Aug 2005 Test # 1759
England inns & 285 runs v India Lord's 20 Jun 1974 Test # 740
England inns & 283 runs v West Indies Leeds 25 May 2007 Test # 1834

Number 1 isn't in danger but 2 certainly is!

Kumble's googly is the easiest googly in history to pick, if an experienced player such as Vaughan cant read it and play it then i dont know whats up. I was hardly being rude, Prat isnt a particuarly offensive word. Jimmy Anderson survived a full over of Kumble, so he must have picked one googly. Dissapointing from Vaughan. Need a big score from KP, Colly and Prior now. Not gonna happen though.

I think Vaughan would be the first to be disappointed by his dismissal. But his wicket wasn't as bad as Alistair Cook's wicket. Now after the luck he's had, he should have capitalized.

Vaughan was new to the crease and a bit tentative -- you'd expect that. Cook's wicket was what really got the Indians excited.

I think India's got a great chance now if RP, Zaheer and Sreesanth continue getting the ball to move in the air. Also it seems to be a lot more cloudy today than yesterday -- it's typical of how conditions can change when you least expect it to.

England under loads of pressure to avoid a 2-0 defeat now.

Users who are viewing this thread