India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Im not having a go or anything but we have, as shown, an inexperienced, and unsuitable bowling pack. Ok Jimmy Anderson, Sidebottom and Panesar have the experience they need, but would you rather see an attack of, in full fitness and form, Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones, or Jimmy Anderson, Sidebottom and Tremlett?

I mean, ok id be suited with Sidebottem as hes been out best seamer, but the pack we have is no where near strong enough to best the skill and experience of an Indian side which are amazing in batting, amazing in seam, swing and pace, and well Kumble can keep up his end for years yet!

Oh and i'd be happy with a ODI series of 7 20/20's ;) Get everyone ready for September!

Last edited:
Sidebottom annoys me, i don't care how well he bowls a lot of the time when he's bowling well he doesn't pick up wickets. He also very rarely breaks the big partnerships yet he's still getting a lot of praise!

Because he keeps it tight and doesnt give away needless runs, like legside wides every over!

I mean, he keeps getting dropped, how is he meant to make chances, take chances when you have a wicketkeeper trying to catch regulation 1st slip catches?

Im not having a go or anything but we have, as shown, an inexperienced, and unsuitable bowling pack. Ok Jimmy Anderson, Sidebottom and Panesar have the experience they need, but would you rather see an attack of, in full fitness and form, Steve Harmison, Matthew Hoggard and Simon Jones, or Jimmy Anderson, Sidebottom and Tremlett?

I mean, ok id be suited with Sidebottem as hes been out best seamer, but the pack we have is no where near strong enough to best the skill and experience of an Indian side which are amazing in batting, amazing in seam, swing and pace, and well Kumble can keep up his end for years yet!

Oh and i'd be happy with a ODI series of 7 20/20's ;) Get everyone ready for September!
Surprisingly you didnt say this before this test series started.Even after the first test when your bowlers bowled well in the first test.Now suddenly indian bowling attack is stronger than England? Vaughan said we need to raise our performance a little bit to beat India.That was overconfident statement by him which is the reason England is on the verge of losing a test series.

Well on paper, the Indian attack is more experienced and probably better. IF we had a full strength squad, with Harmison, Hoggard and Jones, THEN we would have the better side.

Sreesanth, who swings the ball well and has decent control (In bowling, not of himself!) Kahn, who well, in all honesty has amazed me at times. Singh has also chipped in.

Compared to Anderson, whos gone for loads of runs, yet has taken crucial wickets, Win-lose situation. Sidebottom who deserved wickets, bowled tight, against win-lose. Tremlett, bowling like Sidebottom, without much reward, same theme win-lose. Panesar is the best SLA in the world, so to say he is lucky to get tail-end wickets is unfair, a wicket is a wicket right? Someone has to bowl the last 3 or 4 out!

Oh and before the series i didnt post in this thread ;)

Last edited:
He's good at mopping the last few wickets up, but otherwise, Panesar hasn't done much since getting Tendulkar in the first innings of the series.

I still don't believe we have seen Panesar for long enough to be calling him 'the best'. The other 2 or 3 SLA bowlers havn't played much test cricket in the last 2 years. He's kind of on his own.

Bowling stats for this series: http://stats.cricinfo.com/engvind/e.../most_wickets_career.html?id=2872;type=series

Zaheer Kahn has been the real difference.

Last edited:
Well c'mon then irrotev, who else is better than Panesar?

Vettori was, but has lacked bowling, i dont see anyone else as near, except that Saffie. Can't remember his name, new guy with blondish hair!

Sorry i know i sound like im defending England to the hills, im not :p I just dont see a better SLA out there at this current time!

Last edited:
Vettori for a start. He is so much better than him in ODI's, and in Tests at the moment I would just nudge him ahead of MOnty too. Vettori is so underrated these days.

My word I am slow. I have just realised why Irottev is named as he is....

Last edited:
According to the weather forecast, we might have some rain over the next few days. That would suit me, considering that the weather ruined our chances of winning the first Test and if India only win 1-0, we stay ahead of them in the rankings.

What I don't get is there must be a better way of deciding who bats first than the toss of a coin. I mean, it is a fact that winning the toss could well win you the match, look at India's first innings! I'm sure that if England had won the toss, we'd have done well. Maybe not as much as India made, as we don't have tailenders capable of making centuries, but I reckon if we'd won the toss, we may have made in excess of 400 or 500 runs.

How about a 'bowl off' to decide who bats first on a perfect pitch such as the one we had in this match? It's just ridiculous that so many times, the team who wins the toss on a belter of a track such as this one, often goes on to dominate and win the match.

Also, why have we got so many ODIs? I'd prefer there to be a couple more Test matches instead!

how many wkts has panesar taken in the series compared with kumble ( who every raves about).

saying PAnesar has done nothing much this series is unfair..

1. cos in the first match it was seamers paradise and never got a chance much to bowl.

2. second match , apart from first day was also a flat pitch..

3. 3rd match is one of the deadest wkts ever..

i am sure if you give monty a pitch wwhich has some help in it, he'll come up with the goods..

See, i disagree on the test comment, i think Panesar has better control and understanding, and throws up more stuff than Vetters.

Vettori is one of my favourite bowlers, but so i Panesar so its hard to say one is better than the other but i think for an out and out spinner its Panesar, but if i had to choose a World team, on an Asian strip it'd be Vetters because of his batting.

lol exactly, because there isn't any.

Rafique and Razzak (though he's an ODI bowler) are others.Though I agree Panesar has more skill then them.

Vettori just hasn't played for ages. In his last series he got a ten-for against SL so really it's unknown. We don't play regular test matches to make a fair comparison. I'm sure we'll get a good look when we play SA and i'm looking forward to him going head to head with Panesar in the England tests. I'd say that'd be the most exciting thing to watch for.

Eddie your logic of sticking Panesar on a good wicket for him is like saying, to make Sidebottom improve we need to stick him on a green wicket with over-cast conditions. Ofcourse your more likely to turn up trumps on a wicket you like, that doesnt make you a good bowler, its how you preform on those unhelpful ones that make or breaks you as a bowler

Ok so a couple of drops haven't helped his cause but even so Sidebottom we don't really need 2 bowlers trying to keep it tight, I'm not going to say anything about a replacement but we need wickets not a good economy. Thats why i think 1 of those 2 needs to go just because I don't believe we can bowl the Indians out with our current attack. Now i know i'm biased but Stu has been bowling really well and after taking 5 wickets for the lions and making 50 he certaily deserves a go in at least 1 test. It's all too late now anyway but even so i think not playing him at all was a bad shout. Excluding him for my bias i also think Kirtley should have been considered although i'm not too sure on his FC form. He's just 1 of the best bowlers in the county circuit though. Montys just having 1 bad series and it's his first for a while in tests so you're definately being over critical. Englands hardly famed for being a spinners paradise and after what he did to the Windies and Pakistan last summer it's really harsh too jump on his back at once. This series seems sadly to have come alongside the first spell of bad form for a lot of our players which i guess is down to the Indians playing some quality cricket.

Joe, i think having two seamers who keep it tight is a great idea, i mean, id rather have to tight bowlers saving runs whilst Monty puts it up there, aggresive and takes wickets going at 5RPO.

Users who are viewing this thread