India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Aren't you placing a bit too much emphasis on speed? If a bowler is good enough he'll survive if his pace drops (McGrath and Vaas for instance).

Aren't you placing a bit too much emphasis on speed? If a bowler is good enough he'll survive if his pace drops (McGrath and Vaas for instance).

Yes, but he has a talent to bowl fast. Why waste it? There is a whole country of medium pacers in India to play that role.

does anyone know how fast munaf was bowling against scotland, remember it was quite a slow wicket, i watched it on BBC and there wasnt a speed gun and to be honest RP Singh was the only bowler that impressed me, ajit agarkar was far too wide and inconsistent, but showed if he gets the ball on off or middle and swings he can be deadly. i thought piyush chawla bowled very well and ramesh powar was a bit unlucky not to get a wicket.....

Munaf Patel looked like he was bowling at around 80mph, but first game back from injury, against Scotland no less on a cold wet day, you can't expect him to put too much effort in.

Yes, but he has a talent to bowl fast. Why waste it? There is a whole country of medium pacers in India to play that role.

I agree with sureshot, if a bowler is accurate like McGrath, then he can be useful to any side. Also, if a bowler can find his line and length at 120-125 K's, then he can work to bowl that little bit faster if need be.

Because a talent to bowl fast is one thing, being accurate is a far greater talent/ability.

Because a talent to bowl fast is one thing, being accurate is a far greater talent/ability.

yes but i think he was picked because of his pace, not because of a huge amount of accuracy....i think anyway

but the problem is we have lots of bowlers back in india who can maintain
a good line and length but very or HARDLY a few of them can reverse swing it at 145+ !

indian bowlers have had a history of degrading their pace and abilities once
they enter into the side ! a good e.g would be irfan......

yes but i think he was picked because of his pace, not because of a huge amount of accuracy....i think anyway

yes..there was no talk about his accuracy when he was picked ! moreover, he wasnt
considered as a line and length bowler at all...

Last edited:
I always thought he was more a line and length bowler than pace when he played against England in 05/06.

I always thought he was more a line and length bowler than pace when he played against England in 05/06.

He had an average pace of around 135-140kph, going as high as 145kph in the test series.

The commentators were always praising him on his immaculate line and length so I guess I picked up that impression.

Another thing about pace, it doesn't matter how quick you are if the batsman get's used to facing that speed in the same areas, what get's you wickets are the line, the lengths and the variation.
Many of the Great WI bowlers say that, so if Munaf can keep the line and lenghth up, give him a go.

yes..there was no talk about his accuracy when he was picked ! moreover, he wasnt
considered as a line and length bowler at all...

but he is still considered the fastest bowler in india....and some people call him 'the indian glenn mcgrath', i am bamboozled by this, he is nowhere near mcgrath, the closest thing they have in common is their bowling action, although mcgrath's action is more side-on.....

I like Munaf. I don't care about his pace or whatever as long as he bags wickets, which he does. But by the looks of it, it seems as if they want him to be a fast bowler since India have enough medium pacers that can maintain line and length.

Sajid Mahmood is probably the fastest bowler in England and look where he is. Pace isn't everything.

Users who are viewing this thread