India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Plunkett can almost reach Mahmood's pace, but he has better accuray, though he sprays the odd one (which English bowlers don't) and can swing it. Better option in my opinion. I hope he has some good FC games and gets back in the side.

but he is still considered the fastest bowler in india....and some people call him 'the indian glenn mcgrath', i am bamboozled by this, he is nowhere near mcgrath, the closest thing they have in common is their bowling action, although mcgrath's action is more side-on.....

The reason he is called the 'Indian Glenn Mcgrath' is firstly, he is Indian, hence the first bit.;)

His comparisons with Glenn Mcgrath stem from the bowling action and extend into the ball pitching and how the batsman play them. Both use their side and abdominal muscles to power themselves through the crease. Both are relatively side on upon front foot landing. Neither has the explosion of front foot landing to trigger the hip drive and so their actions both look relatively easy. In their prime, both reach paces of 80-90mph which is not considerably high, but they both have a natural 'zip' off the pitch which makes the batsman late on shots, even though they don't appear to be outpaced. This comes from two things in addition to the zip: They both bowl a perfect length, where batsman go back to balls they should go forward to and they both hit the seam well.

AND...they both have good bouncers.

Sajid Mahmood is probably the fastest bowler in England and look where he is. Pace isn't everything.

But to nullify his pace, his accuracy has to be absolutely reprehensible...

Unfortunately...it is.

Last edited:
Sajid Mahmood is probably the fastest bowler in England and look where he is. Pace isn't everything.

I don't think he is. When fit, Harmison is the quickest in the country. Doesn't do him many favours either....

irottev said:
Plunkett can almost reach Mahmood's pace, but he has better accuray, though he sprays the odd one (which English bowlers don't) and can swing it. Better option in my opinion. I hope he has some good FC games and gets back in the side.

I tend agree that he is potentially a much better bowler. Plunkett has all the attributes to cause problems, as shown in the CB series at the start of the year and occasionally in test cricket.

England Lions is the last game before the ODI on Tuesday for India, CricInfo reckons these lads will be walking out.

India (likely) 1 Gautam Gambhir, 2 Robin Uthappa, 3 Sourav Ganguly, 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 Rohit Sharma, 6 Dinesh Karthik, 7 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk, capt), 8 Piyush Chawla, 9 Ramesh Powar, 10 Ajit Agarkar, 11 Munaf Patel.

England Lions (likely) 1 Vikram Solanki (capt), 2 Darren Maddy, 3 Ian Bell, 4 Ravi Bopara, 5 Owais Shah, 6 Luke Wright, 7 Tim Bresnan, 8 Paul Nixon (wk), 9 Jon Lewis, 10 Jeremy Snape, 11 James Kirtley.

I think it's a bit of a shame that England Lions games aren't televised tbh, I'd watch it, although we do have the Lords final tomorrow. Decent side imo, long batting line up, Ravi and Owais will be looking to put something into the mix for Tuesday whilst some of the others looking to impress for the 20-20 WC.

England Lions game will be televised on Star Cricket in India. ;)

Also, people looking for an Indian Glenn McGrath need to look no further than Avishkar Salvi. ;)

England Lions game will be televised on Star Cricket in India. ;)

Also, people looking for an Indian Glenn McGrath need to look no further than Avishkar Salvi. ;)

The only thing that Salvi had in common to Glen was his action.
Apart from that, he was an ordinary bowler.

You say 'he was', but he averaged 24.46 in First Class and 24.96 in List A cricket and is only 25 years old. Pretty damn impressive to me.

I just read that Mahendra Singh Dhoni is 6'2" and I can't believe it. I mean, he looks relatively short behind the stumps.

No way he's not. I've seen him in person and i'm almost his height. I'm 5'6. He would be 5'10 tops.

As for the McGrath thing I think Munna's our closest one-In terms of style- not quality. :)

Last edited:
the england lions team looks like a better one day team than our ACTUAL 1-day team..lol

i wouldn't like to bet on who'd win if the played each other..

He has played all of four ODI matches, 2 against Bangladesh, 1 against South Africa and 1 against Australia. He wasn't given an extended run, either, being dropped from one match to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread