India in England/Ireland/Scotland

Jaffer, Ganguly, Laxman and Dhoni should get us to 300, but I can see one or more of those going for under 5.

I still don't understand why people constantly criticise Jaffer so much. I mean he has a Test Double-Century and not against Bangladesh or a minnow either! In contrast Karthik has a modest average, even in First Class cricket, and is adored. Ah well.

As an aside: isn't it ironic that a harsh spell of rain may have saved this game from a draw?
Jaffer is criticized because he is lazy with his footwork at the beginning of every innings. He showed that today, as well, and had almost given it away when he edged the catch to Prior. He looks quite settled, now, however, and hopefully he will take advantage of it. Karthik is adored because he has been moved all over the place by the team management, has performed brilliantly in the field despite being the second-choice keeper (despite being the better keeper), and also because he is more the future of Indian cricket than Jaffer, being young and energetic.

OH damn! just when a good partnership was flourishing, there goes Sachin!

How frustrating this is! I dont have big hopes on Saurav. This is not 1996 or 2002.

Will Laxman do well today for us? I also have no hope on Dhoni.

Jaffer is criticized because he is lazy with his footwork at the beginning of every innings. He showed that today, as well, and had almost given it away when he edged the catch to Prior. He looks quite settled, now, however, and hopefully he will take advantage of it.

Yes, in a strange way, all that shaky footwork at the start of the innings seems to play him in, after which he becomes a top class batsman.

Tendulkar was a big wicket but he didn't look like he was in the zone today. A lot of plays and misses when he attempted the cut shot so looks like he hadn't got his eye in. To their credit, though, the England bowler's have bowled exceptionally well. Unlike their Indian counterparts, they are bowling within their limits and getting the ball in a safe area instead of looking for excessive movement. As a result, the runs are drying up and the Indian batsmen are getting frustrated.

I would like to see Tremlett on as I think he would trouble Ganguly with the short stuff. Jaffer really needs to justify his nickname as "nought-or-century" man today.

Tendulkar was a big wicket but he didn't look like he was in the zone today. A lot of plays and misses when he attempted the cut shot so looks like he hadn't got his eye in. To their credit, though, the England bowler's have bowled exceptionally well. Unlike their Indian counterparts, they are bowling within their limits and getting the ball in a safe area instead of looking for excessive movement. As a result, the runs are drying up and the Indian batsmen are getting frustrated.

I would like to see Tremlett on as I think he would trouble Ganguly with the short stuff. Jaffer really needs to justify his nickname as "nought-or-century" man today.

To Tendulkar's credit, he did grind out a useful 37 which could be priceless in the context of the match. Ganguly has ground out innings after innings in ODI cricket and made 50 after 50, hopefully he could do the same today.

As for Jaffer's nickname, although partially true, don't believe too many Indian cricket nicknames. After taking the first hattrick for Kerala, Sreesanth became known as "hattrick prince" :p.

To Tendulkar's credit, he did grind out a useful 37 which could be priceless in the context of the match. Ganguly has ground out innings after innings in ODI cricket and made 50 after 50, hopefully he could do the same today.

As for Jaffer's nickname, although partially true, don't believe too many Indian cricket nicknames. After taking the first hattrick for Kerala, Sreesanth became known as "hattrick prince" :p.
Didn't say it wasn't useful, but nevertheless he just didn't look in the zone. This is probably because the pitch was doing a bit and the bowlers were really quite accurate. I felt he was just trying to force the runs a bit and, unfortunately, as Sunny had pointed out, when Tendulkar is not in touch, he looks to work the balls away on the on-side a lot (instead of hitting them straight down the ground). He fell to that sort of shot today, as well.

As for the nickname, it was coined by Ian Chappell and it's the first time I've actually heard Jaffer being described like that.

If England want to make a success of the day then they have to take another wicket here. India still on top here although we do have the runs on the board.

Man. I am so dissapointed. I really wanted Sachin to get a hundred in his last Lord's Test match. Oh well. Maybe it wasnt meant to be.
Maybe this won't be his last test match at Lord's. He's only 34.

If England want to make a success of the day then they have to take another wicket here. India still on top here although we do have the runs on the bored.
Freudian slip? I think the match is even now and another wicket would put it in England's favor. Unless we are going to be witness to another Very Very Special innings.

Last edited:
Ganguly and Jaffer doing OK here! I wont say anything more.

If England want to make a success of the day then they have to take another wicket here. India still on top here although we do have the runs on the board.

True. So far, has been good for India but only by just. If England get one more wicket, it will be "honours shared" between the teams with England a little bit on top as far as the match is concerned because they had a slightly better day yesterday.

Last edited:
Great work from Tremlett. I'm still not completely sure about him, but bowling like he has done today will do him no harm at all. I still feel we need another wicket to be in the game though.

Its a nightwatchman now, RP Singh. I feel they could have sent in Kumble though. He's better than RP Singh who is being sent just because of his 41 against England Lions.

Even stevens now. Ganguly running badly, it seems. He has to stay in there for long if we need to get a good score.

Edit: RP Singh survives till stumps! Should be a fascinating day tomorrow. I hope to get up early and catch the action from ball one tomorrow

RP Singh= Best Nightwatchman ever :P.

As Mikey Holding said, Singh sees it as a promotion, not as night watchman :D. Tremlett bowled awesomely, as did Sir Jimmy. Anderson is definetly the future of English test bowling, fantastic bowler. Has developed so much since the winter in Australia, where his bowling the the tests was appalling. Too short, not accurate, lack of swing, down on pace, he has got his pace up and is swinging the ball of a good line and length. Looks a very fine bowler.

Users who are viewing this thread