India in England/Ireland/Scotland

I'll never be optimistic about England; That's just how much a of a pessimistic cricket fan I am. I have a really bad feeling that India will go on to chase it and i'm quite surprised that India are still being written off. Rain will probably have the final say though.

I think its safe to call Dhoni as a flat pitch bully and who can only perform when the conditions are not in favour of the bowlers. He got out playing a nothing shot in the first innings and I agree with most here when they say he has done nothing overseas.

Problem is as soon as India return to the subcontinent, Dhoni I am sure will score a big knock and will be retained for the Australia tour. Its time the selectors realise and differentiate between actual good players and players who just swing the bat.

Adding to that, I believe India should keep Dhoni in ODI team and Karthik in Test team only. I always had that viewpoint even when Dhoni shot to fame and Karthik was still finding his place in the team. And as I stated earlier, only rain can save India, this is for England to take. All they have to do is avoid no-balls and Indian batters will themselves dig a hole, jump in it and shut themselves tight.

I'll never be optimistic about England; That's just how much a of a pessimistic cricket fan I am. I have a really bad feeling that India will go on to chase it and i'm quite surprised that India are still being written off. Rain will probably have the final say though.
That's how I feel about Indian team considering their performances over last 5 years but two teams with similar traits against each other and one of them has home advantage.

Last edited:
Adding to that, I believe India should keep Dhoni in ODI team and Karthik in Test team only. I always had that viewpoint even when Dhoni shot to fame and Karthik was still finding his place in the team. And as I stated earlier, only rain can save India, this is for England to take. All they have to do is avoid no-balls and Indian batters will themselves dig a hole, jump in it and shut themselves tight.

Well then Karthik would have open the batting and keep which would be difficult but Sangakarra has batted at 3 so it isn't impossible.

Well then Karthik would have open the batting and keep which would be difficult but Sangakarra has batted at 3 so it isn't impossible.
Indian batting order obviously needs a re-shuffle. Sehwag has to get back into the team with some decent form and Karthik can be a good no. 3 given his technique. And for the sake of Indian team, bring Laxman up the order and shove Ganguly at no. 7. Laxman is a 10 times better bat than the left-hander and India must utilise that.

The weather tomorrow might favour England , heavy rain is expected with a big bank of cloud coming from the channel. But if that means we are on and off all day..plus it should help the swing bowlers. I didn't think we bowled aswell but there wasn't as much swing. Sidebottom was disappointing, the others were good. Anderson's accuracy seems to have improved and Monty got a big wicket with a hilarious celebration.

I'm going for a draw due to the weather interrupting. Good day for England though, KP did exceptionally well and Prior is in another big partnership to set up a match (with Bell against the WI is the one I'm thinking of).

I was really annoyed the way Tendulkar got out. Identical to the one at Nagpur. He's an experienced batsman, he should know to play with the bat, and Monty's major threat to the right handed batsman is the LBW. He's got so many out with a straight ball !

Panesar is a legend. You just have to love that celebration. It almost makes that Sky promo ad seem bearable now.

RP Singh seems to be a good prospect: steady accuracy, good bouncer and yorker, swing both ways and by no means slow. Five wickets today was a good reward for some probing accuracy and just justified that he was the right selection for the disputed fourth bowler slot. Kevin Pietersen batted well and ended his short poor run of form, he really is talented and showed today that he can score at a good rate, even in testing conditions, by coming at the bowler. Take away Kevin Pietersen's knock and India would be (in theory of course) chasing 246, and would be in the driver's seat. An impressive and crucial knock by the match's best number four batsman.:p

India batted well given the conditions and good bowling by England. Jaffer fell tamely and it was a shame since he earned a knock in the first innings and deserved one in the second, but that's cricket for you. Dravid was given an 'interesting' decision at best and it just shows that you don't dismiss Dravid twice for a total of 11 without either bowling peaches or having contreversial decisions. Tendulkar, Tendulkar...Tendulkar, he looked in good nick but fell to yet another Panesar LBW. Monty's fluxuation in amount of spin leads to all sorts of troubles for batsman and can be even more deadly than a consistant big spinner like Murali. He can beat the bat one ball, exposing lack of footwork and then strike the batsman on the pad when they do come forward, it is quite admirable how this leaves batsman no option but to get out one way or another to Monty. Dinesh Karthik batted well and I do believe he is a good opener of the innings, he showed that he is not a 'flat track bully' with some composed, compact footwork. Speaking of which, Saurav Ganguly looked ok for his 36* but not much else can be said. This partnership will decide the game, sadly for India, they will need to add a good 100-150 runs more to be in with a chance and take the game away from England too.

The light rain forcast will not be enough to have play called off for the day nor will it likely take many overs from the day either. England should really go for the win with attacking fields and the like, I really think a result would be fantastic for this match. The game looked like heading to a draw twice: end of day one; beginning of day two, but thankfully, good bowling and not so good batting has lead India needing 250 more off the last day.

Panesar is a legend. You just have to love that celebration. It almost makes that Sky promo ad seem bearable now.

Almost.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread