India in England/Ireland/Scotland

heres what i think...both batted the same but england slightly edge ahead of India because of one man...KP the legend! Well, if India wants to match English batting, Dravid and Sachin needs to click in big time. KD should give india a decent start with good 50's and then Dravid and Sachin should score huge 100's and then big hitting by gangu and dhoni in the end to wrap up. Laxman can also chip in with decent scores. India need to kick out Jaffer and replace Gambhir.

Well Indian bowling wasn't that bad...look at WI vs Eng matches...Eng killed Windies bowling in every match and scored around 450+ every time, but look India bowled out england twice and troubled every batsmen but the magic man KP saved Eng in the 2nd innings...

my lineup for 2nd match

Gambhir
KD
Laxman
Dravid
Sachin
Ganguly
Dhoni
Kumble
Khan
RP
Sree

Since when are any of them in the top 3?
Dravid.

Am I the only Indian who is annoyed by these Indian fans who always cry out for rain when our team has been thoroughly outplayed? What a disgraceful way to save a match. I do understand that the weather plays a role in these things, but India really deserve to lose, purely because the famed Indian (and ageing) batsmen cannot cope up with swing and seam after *years* of international cricket experience and previous tours to England. Especially Tendulkar, Ganguly, Dravid and Laxman. These golden oldies ought to retire and leave the game to the next generation... and the audacity with which the commentators demand that Zaheer Khan and RP Singh play more sensibly when the game has been lost by the top 5 batsmen (Jaffer, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman)!! Things will never change, it seems. :rolleyes:

Sorry about that. I was about to delete it myself. Poor internet connectivity.
We haven't been thoroughly outplayed. The two teams were separated by one special man--Kevin Pietersen. Pietersen's knock is what set this up for England and you could see in all four innings that every batsman had trouble coping with the swing. How else do you surmise that RP Singh picked up 5 wickets in an innings?

Really? I thought it was clattering into middle and off.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what you think, just what Buckno' does. :p Even in the innings this gets canceled out because Dravid got an iffy decision and his was a very important wicket.

They did get good starts, but failed to convert. But in a way I agree, India's batsmen should have done better against England's reserve bowlers, who are let's get real, good County bowlers....the Zaheer Khan types.
Good county bowlers... who no doubt know the conditions better than our bowlers because they have been playing in it their entire lives.

The match has been abandoned as a draw, how frustrating and disappointing to know that England were only 1 wicket away from victory! I think it is kind of pathetic with the match so close to an end, the light was massively similar to that of the Norfolk game and they were still playing when I left.
It evens out, mate. When Sidebottom was sent in as nightwatchman during the English first innings and commentators stated that the light was actually really good, not just pretty good, the batsmen were offered light. India had the momentum then, having picked up 2 quick wickets and having the nightwatchman in so we could have picked up more wickets.

If there was only one thing I could change about cricket it would be the bad light rule. I would soon destroy those light meters!
You would also probably destroy the fingers of a few batsmen who would have to cope with fast bowlers in bad light.

What was Dravid doing with the leg slip to Vaughan (I'm pretty sure it was Vaughan) when his bowler was bowling outside the off stump?
I'm not sure if you noticed but our bowlers did spray the ball all over the place and definitely did not bowl on one side of the pitch.

I feel the teams go into the next match pretty much even, though England are probably feeling better about the situation. I stand by my words that KP was the differentiating factor and that this match would have been much closer if it wasn't for his greatness. We didn't bowl badly and we didn't bat badly if you look at the context. England's middle-order should give them worries--Bell and Collingwood have both failed twice, now, and they would want some runs badly. Our top order is looking troublesome... Dravid is now due for a big innings, though.

Last edited:
We haven't been thoroughly outplayed. The two teams were separated by one special man--Kevin Pietersen. Pietersen's knock is what set this up for England and you could see in all four innings that every batsman had trouble coping with the swing. How else do you surmise that RP Singh picked up 5 wickets in an innings?

I didn't watch the first innings at all, but around 200 all out doesn't seem to be a very good score on that pitch. And England were still ahead of the game by 96 runs (so the game wasn't exactly evenly balanced even at that point). At almost every stage England was ahead of the game and India were playing catch-up. I think we should stop listening to Harsha Bhogle and company - they are overoptimistic at best about India's batting.

Anyway, I think this is exactly the reason why Indian cricket remains at a mediocre level: because we fans are too forgiving of our past performances.

Against this English attack, we should have got over 400 in the first innings. If Dinesh Kartik and Dhoni could score on that pitch by applying themselves, surely one of the famed Indian batting line up (Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman) could have scored a century.

Last edited:
I didn't watch the first innings at all, but around 200 all out doesn't seem to be a very good score on that pitch. And England were still ahead of the game by 96 runs (so the game wasn't exactly evenly balanced even at that point). At almost every stage England was ahead of the game and India were playing catch-up. Stop listening to Harsha Bhogle and company - they are overoptimistic at best about India's batting.

Anyway, I think this is exactly the reason why Indian cricket remains at a mediocre level: because we fans are too forgiving of our past performances.

Against this English attack, we should have got over 400 in the first innings. If Dinesh Kartik and Dhoni could score on that pitch by applying themselves, surely one of the famed Indian batting line up (Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman) could have scored a century.

You have to admit that England bowled well with that inexperienced attack and the bowlers nearly won England the game.

You have to admit that England bowled well with that inexperienced attack and the bowlers nearly won England the game.

I don't deny that the two seamers bowled very well indeed, but they were not England's best attack by any stretch of the imagination (no Flintoff, no Harmison, no Simon Jones). Sidebottom and Anderson were good swing bowlers, but at their pace, they shouldn't have troubled the "experienced" Indian batsmen too much.

For a team which prides itself on its batting strength I though they should have matched England's effort in the first innings and even gone ahead a bit. By setting a 400+ target, they should have reached at least 320-330.

I think Hoggard will struggle to make it back into the side now. Well he should. Unless the England selectors are still moronic. He's a good bowler and all, but Sidebottom gets more swing and has been much better then him so far.

Harmison has pace, however i'd say Anderson is breathing down his neck now. Tremlet will make a good back up bowler if people get injured, but I wouldn't put him in the A team.

I don't deny that the two seamers bowled very well indeed, but they were not England's best attack by any stretch of the imagination (no Flintoff, no Harmison, no Simon Jones). Sidebottom and Anderson were good swing bowlers, but at their pace, they shouldn't have troubled the "experienced" Indian batsmen too much.

For a team which prides itself on its batting strength I though they should have matched England's effort in the first innings and even gone ahead a bit. By setting a 400+ target, they should have reached at least 320-330.

Well it just shows you what can happen.
Tremlett did well despite the fact I would of gone for Broad and Anderson and Sidebottom's swing caused the Indian batsmen problems and it doesn't matter how experiened the batsmen are sometimes the bowlers just bowl to well

I think Hoggard will struggle to make it back into the side now. Well he should. Unless the England selectors are still moronic. He's a good bowler and all, but Sidebottom gets more swing and has been much better then him so far.

Harmison has pace, however i'd say Anderson is breathing down his neck now. Tremlet will make a good back up bowler if people get injured, but I wouldn't put him in the A team.

Hoggard has been Englands steady opening bowler for years since he swings the new ball and keeps it tight so he still deserves his place.

Tremlett would be good back up now for Harmison and Anderson would back up for Sidebottom and Hoggard.

England oughta' feel robbed. Outplayed India in all departments & clearly deserved victory.

Dhoni played really well though, albeit he struggled allot early on. Pretty good for someone whose only made 4 First-Class hundreds. :D

Dhoni would of been relieved because Karthick was pushing for the keeper place with Yuvraj coming into the side.

So close yet so far since Englands last test victory at Lords was against Bangladesh in 2005!

Right, take back what I said about Dhoni before.
yeah, I was getting frustrated with his repeated ducks and failures. it was getting annoying and i guess I showed it a bit too much here at PC.
He played a good knock, although far too lucky for me. He got dropped a couple times, and Played that "slip catching practice" shot thing again, and was lucky to get four.
The tail was immature, especially RP (trying to play a shot on the last ball of the over, Idiot). He bowled like the God of Swing, though!
Yeah, the Brits deserved this one, but I guess the elements were on our side :D
Crickets a funny game, innit?

the indian bowlers did well in lords especially RP and Sreesanth
but KP almost took the game away from India.......

i want to know about the pitch of next stadium and whether it's a batting or a bowling pitch...

my line up:
KKD
Ghambir
Dravid/Laxman
Tendulkar
Dada
Laxman/Dravid
Dhoni (if he hadn't gotten 40+ it would have been Yuvi for sure)
Anil
RP
Zak
Sree

Think the bowling needs some extra oomph though...
And i think we need Yuvi in there somewhere. And if we are going for a night watchmen it should be Kumble no matter what. RP-Wtf?

the indian bowlers did well in lords especially RP and Sreesanth
but KP almost took the game away from India.......

i want to know about the pitch of next stadium and whether it's a batting or a bowling pitch...

Well, Trent Bridge is known as a swinging ground since they build the new stand, so Matthew Hoggard would have loved it if he was playing. Ryan Sidebottom plays for Nottinghamshire and is a genuine swing bowler so he should do well.

Sree Sreesanth, Zaheer Khan and RP Singh will all cause problems, that is, if there is any play at all!

I am a bit confused. Can somebody explain why he is nicknamed 'Sree' Sreesanth?

Users who are viewing this thread