India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Also where are u on KP? Personally I think England are making a mess of the thing. Why does it have to be Cook or KP. Have Root open, he has been an opener all his life, Bell drops to 5, KP at 4. Great batting line up. Great players often have ego clashes, doesn't mean you have to pick one. That is where good management comes in.

There have been so many players who played in the same side, who could not get together. Waqar and Wasim were a lethal partnership, but they had a running spat throughout, especially after Wasim became captain and Waqar was dropped for form. In India Kapil and Gavaskar were never friends. Dhoni and Sehwag was another saga, remained in the dressing room. Dravid and Ganguly was always a secret fued, that got ugly under the clown Greg Chappel. Ganguly went so far as to say that Dravid had no guts or something to that effect. Clarke and Katich is another well known one where at one point Katich grabbed Clarke by the neck at one point in SA I think. Warne and Gilchrist is another similar story. Basically the entire Pakistan team at one point or the other have been out to get each other.

England to get their act on KP right. There is no case for Robson playing over KP.

Amen man, 11 players in a dressing room never always get along. I'd add Michael Bevan & the Hooper/Lara bad relationship too.

ECB have handled the KP situation disgracefully. There is feeling that they can't handle difficult personalities because how Compton & Carberry were axed, especially Compton didn't make cricket sense. While they stuck by someone like Bresnan & Prior way too long, shows a sort of clique scenario to players who are close to the ECB hierarchy.

This issue can't ever be swept under the carper, even if ENG will this series. When both the ECB/KP cant fully reveal what happened by law in October will be the real tipping point.

I don't really blame BCCI, but there seems to be a lack of movement in terms of them suggesting ways to get DRS to a level that they can accept it.

I agree that if there is a third umpire, which there always is, then if there is a glaring error, it should be overturned. There are enough replays for goodness sake!

I've not seen much of India on tour the last year, so can only comment on what I've seen this series with regards to Dahwan etc. I've seen a lot of Kohli and he's class, but Anderson is in his head. He's faced 30 balls off of Jimmy, made 7 runs and been dismissed by him 4 times. That's shocking!

I like Pujara and I like Rahane. Ashwin was great with the bat. Dohni, from what I've read today from Indian fans, may be in the last chance Saloon.

I think that whilst you won't face Jimmy and Broad in English conditions every tour, its a mark of who stands up to these challenges. Kohli has let himself down badly.

I loved KP. Great entertainer. ON his day, superb. But the whole world new he didn't get on with Cook, and Cook is the ECB's man through and through. It was always a question of when, not if, he was forced out. I hate to Eton crowd of cricket, but they will rule the ECB for many years to come. As Cook will stay for the foreseeable future, the only changes I would make at present would be Carberry in for Robson (I'd prefer Hales, but that won't happen). Carberry did well in an awful team performance in Aussie land and Finn for Jordan. I think Woakes has got something.

Saying Dhoni is in his last chance saloon is pushing. He is nowhere near last chance saloon. Of course there is a world cup next year and post that the next roadmap has to be worked on, thats how Indian cricket plans, from World Cup to World Cup. Personally Dhoni won't be around when the WC returns to Eng, and so that may be a factor which will force a decision on the issue. Its what made the BCCI get Tendulkar to retire, simply that you won;t be around come the WC in Aus in which case u need to make way for someone who will be. I know we are taking two formats, and WC is ODIs and Tendulkar last retired from Tests, but a good test run only adds something to a player overall, and will help him in all formats.
For Dhoni this is the only thing though that will have any bearing on his future. Even in this series Dhoni personally has three fifties, and that 71 in the first innings in the time it came, is worth a 100. So Apart from the fact that a long plan call on Dhoni needs to be taken, Dhoni is safe.

Ashwin with what he did with the Bat will end the Jadeja run for sure. Also while its true Kohli did poorly against Anderson, but then he has done well against Steyn and Morkel. I think Eng are doing themselves injustice not having KP. India cricketers I feel have the biggest egos, and if Ganguly and Dravid could play together for so long, if Gavaskar and Kapil Dev could play together, if Gilly and Warne could play together despite their issues, I think KP and Cook could too. I like Root as a Batsman and one who will go far. Ballance will be a fine understudy to Root. KP in that side just gives it that edge. Eng need KP for the WC. Its in Aus, Anderson and Broad will like it there, Eng need to give themselves the best batting they could.

Also yeah there is bit of likeability about Woakes. I don't know what it is, but he seems to have that edge.

Amen man, 11 players in a dressing room never always get along. I'd add Michael Bevan & the Hooper/Lara bad relationship too.

ECB have handled the KP situation disgracefully. There is feeling that they can't handle difficult personalities because how Compton & Carberry were axed, especially Compton didn't make cricket sense. While they stuck by someone like Bresnan & Prior way too long, shows a sort of clique scenario to players who are close to the ECB hierarchy.

This issue can't ever be swept under the carper, even if ENG will this series. When both the ECB/KP cant fully reveal what happened by law in October will be the real tipping point.

Yeah I remember in the 90s Indian cricket was run like a club, only friends allowed. England seem to have a core group too. Cook and Prior especially it has been said were close that led to Prior getting a long rope. There will always be difficult personalities, but what is important is not who your friend is, but who will win you the match. I am not aware of what happened with Compton or Carberry, but yeah KP situation is poorly handled. It would be madness if suddenly, India axed, Dravid cos he had a clash with Tendulkar. He didn't, but just an example, even if he did, it would be madness. With KP its even more baffling as KP was the highest run scorer in the Ashes in Aus. So its even more baffling what ECB is on about.

Last edited:
Saying Dhoni is in his last chance saloon is pushing. He is nowhere near last chance saloon. Of course there is a world cup next year and post that the next roadmap has to be worked on, thats how Indian cricket plans, from World Cup to World Cup. Personally Dhoni won't be around when the WC returns to Eng, and so that may be a factor which will force a decision on the issue. Its what made the BCCI get Tendulkar to retire, simply that you won;t be around come the WC in Aus in which case u need to make way for someone who will be. I know we are taking two formats, and WC is ODIs and Tendulkar last retired from Tests, but a good test run only adds something to a player overall, and will help him in all formats.
For Dhoni this is the only thing though that will have any bearing on his future. Even in this series Dhoni personally has three fifties, and that 71 in the first innings in the time it came, is worth a 100. So Apart from the fact that a long plan call on Dhoni needs to be taken, Dhoni is safe.

Ashwin with what he did with the Bat will end the Jadeja run for sure. Also while its true Kohli did poorly against Anderson, but then he has done well against Steyn and Morkel. I think Eng are doing themselves injustice not having KP. India cricketers I feel have the biggest egos, and if Ganguly and Dravid could play together for so long, if Gavaskar and Kapil Dev could play together, if Gilly and Warne could play together despite their issues, I think KP and Cook could too. I like Root as a Batsman and one who will go far. Ballance will be a fine understudy to Root. KP in that side just gives it that edge. Eng need KP for the WC. Its in Aus, Anderson and Broad will like it there, Eng need to give themselves the best batting they could.

Also yeah there is bit of likeability about Woakes. I don't know what it is, but he seems to have that edge.

I'm only basing my Dohni comment on the majority of comments that have been knocking about on here. I like Dohni as a player and with a WC coming up he won't go.

I personally think that two players who don;t get along should get on with it. If you're at work, and you don't like someone, you can't just get them sacked! I'd love KP in the team, but it won't happen whilst Cook is captain and Downton is anywhere near the ECB. Now they've decided to make him un-selectable, they won't go back on that decision. I think Ballance will be more than an under study for Root. I've been watching Root for many many years and he will be a top England player. He seems to have settled well at 5. Butler is exciting and Moeen Ali has bowled pretty well, sometimes bowls to full or WAY too short, but scores runs.

I was expecting India to put up a more conservative and defensive batting performance in their second innings to take them to tomorrow and possibly a rain draw. I think they did well until Vijay fell and then they just fell into their old pattern. Dohni should have installed the conservative style in them and they should all have been a lot better. Ashwin was the only one in the second innings who performed well.

Looking at the next test if Broad isn't able to play then I'd look at bringing in another fast bowler to replace him. Plunkett is a possibility as he hasn't done terribly. Failing that, maybe see Finn back into the squad. Also, I'd like to see Joe Root bowl some more. He is capable of bowling spin in short bursts to give fast bowlers a break. Pair him with Ali to give another option.

I was expecting India to put up a more conservative and defensive batting performance in their second innings to take them to tomorrow and possibly a rain draw. I think they did well until Vijay fell and then they just fell into their old pattern. Dohni should have installed the conservative style in them and they should all have been a lot better. Ashwin was the only one in the second innings who performed well.

Looking at the next test if Broad isn't able to play then I'd look at bringing in another fast bowler to replace him. Plunkett is a possibility as he hasn't done terribly. Failing that, maybe see Finn back into the squad. Also, I'd like to see Joe Root bowl some more. He is capable of bowling spin in short bursts to give fast bowlers a break. Pair him with Ali to give another option.

I agree that Root could be used more. If Plunkett is fit, I'd pick him

I'm only basing my Dohni comment on the majority of comments that have been knocking about on here. I like DOhni as a player and with a WC coming up he won't go.

I personally think that two players who don;t get along should get on with it. If you're at work, and you don't like someone, you can't just get them sacked! I'd love KP in the team, but it won't happen whilst Cook is captain and Downton is anywhere near the ECB. Now they've decided to make him un-selectable, they won't go back on that decision. I think Ballance will be more than an under study for Root. I've been watching Root fr many many years and he will be a top England player for many years. He seems to have settled well at 5 as well. Butler is exciting and Moeen li has bowled pretty well, sometimes bowls to full or WAY too short, but scored runs as well.

Yeah with the World Cup months away, Dhoni is going nowhere, and that is the end of that. Although another thrashing on the tour to Aus won't help his cause, but before the WC nothing is happening. If India perform poorly in the World Cup, then perhaps the question may be asked much more sternly. As a captain though there is nothing worth winning, that Dhoni has played in as Captain and not won. He has been the captain of India when India were #1, which was a good three years after Dhoni took over, so its not as if Dhoni just inherited a #1 team, without having to win anything himself. Dhoni has won the World Cup, CT, World T20, IPL and Champions League. That is about as complete a career as one can have as a captain. With the World Cup just months away Dhoni is not going anywhere.

By understudy I maen Ballance will be a good foundation for everything. A bit like Dravid. Every major knock by a cricketer needs someone to stay with him at other end, only then are great knocks achieved. No one scores a double hundred with wickets falling regulary. Dravid was that partner for India for almost every major innings an Indian played. VVS Laxman score 281, Dravid at the other end. Sehwag Score 254 Dravid at the other end. It was just mental how many great knocks Dravid helped anchor being the understudy n.o at the other end. 4 of the top 5 scores by an Indian came with Dravid at the other end. During his career, 35.6 % of the total runs India scored, were scored with Dravid as one of two batting in the middle.

Ballance could play that role for England.

Very excited to be going to see the 5th test match at The Oval.

I have tickets to the first two days (Friday and Saturday) but I'm actually not sure if I will be able to use both. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but if anyone is looking to purchase one (only one, I'd use the other myself) please message me. I'd be selling purely at retail price, i.e. what I paid for, and would deliver the tickets in person at the ground (my hotel is a 15 minute walk from the ground).

Very excited to be going to see the 5th test match at The Oval.

I have tickets to the first two days (Friday and Saturday) but I'm actually not sure if I will be able to use both. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but if anyone is looking to purchase one (only one, I'd use the other myself) please message me. I'd be selling purely at retail price, i.e. what I paid for, and would deliver the tickets in person at the ground (my hotel is a 15 minute walk from the ground).

Nice try there Mr. Stalker.

Jokes apart enjoy the game at The Oval. 3-1!

To be fair, Tiwary and Raydu (Tiwary more than Raydu) have been given a fair number of chances, they are not quite cut out for Int'l Cricket. Also they were not facing Anderson as u said

Say what? Manoj Tiwary and Ambati Rayudu have never played a single test match yet. And Manoj Tiwary has always been the perennial "in and out" man of India's ODI team. Never ever allowed to settle down consistently for a few games in a row. He has a ODI century vs West Indies, and an average of 31.62 in 9 matches (will say it again, 9 matches). Rayudu also has been similarly used very sporadically (used whenever the seniors want rest from series like the ones vs Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, etc). And in his given chances, he averages 32.62 in 13 matches.

Both are technically better players than Rohit Sharma and deserve a steady run in either ODI or test for India. I would atleast draft in Tiwary for Rohit and tell him that he is going to be with the test side for atleast 5 test matches (typically a series or more). Tiwary is cut out for test cricket.

So "losing a game in 5 days and losing one in less than 3 days" is the same to him?
Press Conference : England v India, 4th Investec Test, Old Trafford, 3rd day | This defeat will hurt us - Dhoni | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

This is so frustrating to see him show absolutely no traces of pain (even the way he says "This will hurt us" is so massively unconvincing; almost as if he was forced to say it). He seems to think the Indian fan goes even down when players show emotion during defeat. But for defeats like this, we want the captain to show some emotion and pain and tell us that he feels it. We know that anyone would not want to live with pain and will do something to make it go away. But I want to see it in him. Right now with the kind of attitude, there is absolutely no hope that the Indian fan can keep with their team. We essentially are left to wait in the dark for that rare wins (e.g. Lord's) with no assurance from the captain that they are really serious enough to ensure that these dark days do not happen often again.

Just for his attitude, I want him gone. Dravid was much different from his. Dravid the captain was also mostly diplomatic, but most often we used to see him express well during tough times (took Dravid's example here because Dravid is a similar personality to the current Dhoni; quiet, cool, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread