India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Not too sure about that!!! Jadeja is 'pathetic' with the bat in test matches. Ashwin is a much much better batsman who has even score a couple of centuries in test matches.

Jadeja could have had a bigger impact in this series had Dhoni not made him bowl that negative line down the leg side.

Yeah fairly sure about that. Ashwin was the regular till, SA where the tail collapsed in the 2nd test leading to SA win. Post that the logic has been that if our spinners won't find help from the surface then may as well play Jadeja over Ashwin who could bat better.

I never said that dropping Dhoni was the answer. He may stay as the wicketkeeper but he has to step down as the captain. Even saying things like the game getting over in 3 days is good is deplorable. Not once has the batting order been changed in this series or for that matter ever before. It is`nt rocket science to know that Kohli is not confident and Rahane has had a good time with the bat off late but not even once did we try shuffling the order. Ashwin is a far better batsman than Jadeja. Its totally illogical to suggest that Jadeja is in the side ahead of Ashwin due to his batting. The only area where he makes a case is his fielding and even there his drop of Cook was what turned the series on its head. Gambhir in the squad itself was an illogical decision. He was miserable in the Ranji Trophy along with Sehwag. He was even outshone by Sehwag in the IPL. Vijay Zol, Kedar Jadhav and K.L Raul must be in the test squad ahead of Nohit and Gambhir.

Gambhir, Binny and Pankaj are all selections that baffle me. I can at least think of 3 names who should be ahead of them in the squad. Non-India fans might think we are overreacting and the series is only 2-1 at the moment. The anger and frustration stems from the fact that we have let England get away with shoddy cricket. We showed discipline at Lords on that green mamba on Day 1 and that is why we won. Since then letting Moeen get so many wickets to go with loads of dropped catches is not a shadow of that effort at Lords. Even the performances in SA were actually really good. We bossed the SA side on that helpful Jo`burg track and did well in Durban to stay in the game for 4 out of 5 days. The team actually could`ve come out of the SA series with a win. In NZ, we showed a lot of character in the first test at Auckland where we were so behind and yet in the second innings bowled NZ out for a 100-odd and then almost chased down 400+. We let the game in Wellington slip when we should`ve finished it in 4 days. Yet, the team was progressing all that while up until Lords where we felt they had turned a corner.

Since then has been the most baffling and abject surrender by our side which is inexplicable and not much to do with lack of talent. The application has been poor. Selection has been timid. We were so aggressive to pursue that Anderson Jadeja case off the field. Had we applied ourselves even a fraction of that on it, we would`ve still been in the series. Even if we draw the series at the Oval, this has been a real step backwards.

Yes, things do change dramatically in test cricket. Australia, exactly a year ago had those two shambolic games at Lords and Durham where their batting collapsed inexplicable, just like ours here. They lost the series by a 3-0 margin far worse that the margin in this series at this point. Yet, they turned it around in 3 months time with aggressive selections and the right mindset. For the attitude to change, the change has to come from the top and that is why Dhoni must step down. People might say, where is our Johnson? We don`t need a like for like choice. Yadav, Aaron, Shami, Ishant and Bhuvi can form a lethal battery if they are backed up well by a pro active captain and a good slip cordon. We`ve got no choice but to play 5 bowlers at the Oval and I would go for 4 pacers and Ashwin. Rather lose 3-1 trying to make it 2-2 than play conservatively. Dhawan should be back. At least he seems to have some attacking flair which Gambhir absolutely lack at this moment. Also, he gives us our onl

My lineup for the Oval

Dhawan
Vijay
Rahane
Pujara
Kohli
Dhoni
Ashwin
Bhuvi
Shami
Aaron
Ishant

You want Dhoni to be sacked for not changing the batting order !! I mean of all the reason to sack a captain ... ! Look we have returned to the 90s in terms of overseas cricket lets not return to the 90s in terms of overreaction too. Every defeat later, we wanted Azhar gone. Cricket cannot work like that. Also apart from the fact that its not reasonable to start off with, months before the World Cup, there is not going to be any changes in captaincy and that is the end of that. Dhoni, whether you like it or not, is going to stay, and personally that is how it should be.

Yes India between 2007 - 11 WC had a good run overseas, losing just one away series in Aus (most of which were under Dhoni, including series win in NZ and draw in SA). Apart from this run though, India have always been poor overseas. So sacking Dhoni for not doing what no one has done before him anyway makes no sense. Instead Dhoni, has taken India to some new heights at home in tests and that should be appreciated. #1 in tests, Australia hammered 4-0, six straight wins at home !! India have always been dominant at home but I cannot recall the last time India won 6 straight tests at home, and remember Dhoni doesn't have Kumble to call on who was the foundation of the super record through the 90s and upto his retirement. These are all new territories India has covered under Dhoni. So while sure off late his over seas run has been abysmal, but why should that force you to ignore all the good stuff he has done which no one has done before him.

You are slaying him for not doing what no one could do before him anyway and ignoring the things he has done which those before him could not do in tests. Also you give the example of Australia who too collapsed to lose 3-0 in England, but returned to dominance at home. First of all Dhoni is not going to lose 3-0 in England, and that India will once again be dominant at home under Dhoni is a given. So why all the panic ! Dhoni is his worst enemy here, had he not won at Lord's but Drawn, I feel the public would be kinder to him. That he won, ppl started to believe India will win the series all of a sudden, when we all were expecing a 5-0 before the tour start. After the win at Lord's, brought about purely by Dhoni forcing Ishant to bowl short, suddenly nothing short of a series win became the expectation.

So lets not get carried away. Lets be honest, if before the tour someone had said, heading into the last test India would be 2-1 down, most of would have jumped and grabbed it. Suddenly its not good enough.

With the team for Oval I agree on most points, but on playing Shami. If the pitch offers, turn then 2 spinners have to play which means Jadeja over Shami. If it is a pitch which requires four seamers, then I would play Pandey over Shami. He has been on tour long enough lets play him. Lastly, Ishant may not be fit, in which case Pankaj plays.

Thrust it on Ashwin or Pujara. Its a risk yes, but the team needs some shaking up.

Thinking I may like this. Witnessing either of India's bright spots falling apart due to increased responsibility. Having a captain like Ahwin after the likes of Dravid, Ganguly Dhoni is akin to following my breakfast of ham and eggs with wind pie.

If not Kohli, then Pujara would be the best bet for taking up test captaincy. I still think Kohli can be given captaincy in spite of his "current poor form". Ganguly sporadically performed with the bat when he was captain. But still his leadership style made a positive impact on India.

And I dont understand this theory of "Dhoni has to be captain till the World Cup". Have we ever heard of split captaincy? Dhoni should only be removed from test captaincy. Let him lead India to the World Cup in 2015. But let him hand over the test captaincy to someone else. Also some people have suggested that the Australian tour should have Dhoni as captain and even if we lose, it will all end at the World Cup. Why do we want to give up our hopes on the Australia tour? If we want to do well there, Dhoni has to go. England were generous to us in giving a very unlikely win. Australia won't be as generous.

I know all this will not happen and that the BCCI will stick to him till the World Cup (in all formats). But if that happens, we still have more dark days (like the one yday; like the ones we saw in 2011) to see in the upcoming months leading to the World Cup.[DOUBLEPOST=1407687737][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thinking I may like this. Witnessing either of India's bright spots falling apart due to increased responsibility. Having a captain like Ahwin after the likes of Dravid, Ganguly Dhoni is akin to following my breakfast of ham and eggs with wind pie.

Not everyone in the world starts under performing due to taking up captaincy. Its certain type of players who give the feeling that they might under perform if they take increased pressure. I dont believe Kohli and Pujara are that kind of players who will under perform if they take up captaincy.

Sachin Tendulkar didn't cope with captaincy well nor did Lara. I want Kohli to be right up there with those guys and giving him the test captaincy of a team like India with a historically weak bowling line up and crickef mad fans will destroy him. Even the great Don Bradman had controversy with captaincy. Recently in England we see how Kevin Pietersen handled captaincy. Not everyone can be a Graeme Smith.

Sometimes I feel hardcore die hard Tendulkar fans feel threatened by Dhoni and Kohli. During his tenure MSD wa just as loved and praised as Sachin, ''now we must destroy his legacy drop him as test captain even though he has been the most successful captain of India''. They feel threatened that Kohli can become India's best batsman ever ''he is young, look at centuries he has piled up already, give him the captaincy destroy his morale and he will never surpass master's records''

Call me mad but this is the sense I can make of the illogical assertions to remove Dhoni as captain and hand it over to Kohli while he is having such a poor form. Now dont get me wrong I see Kohli as the future captain of al three formats but certainly not so fast not so early in his career, let MSD groom this team back into an allround one first.

Pujara still has to earn his place before we can even consider him of being captain.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I dont understand this theory of "Dhoni has to be captain till the World Cup". Have we ever heard of split captaincy?

Split captaincy is just nonsense. (pardon me if that sounds rude)
There must be only one leader of a team. Too many leaders can create discomfort and confusion among players.

Split captaincy is just nonsense. (pardon me if that sounds rude)
There must be only one leader of a team. Too many leaders can create discomfort and confusion among players.

I beg to disagree. Captains can and should be assigned based on the requirements of each format. When you have different formats of the game, you should take that into account when selecting your leader for that format. If one of the captains has an ego issue, split captaincy will bring it out and either he changes himself or he himself is changed.

If not Kohli, then Pujara would be the best bet for taking up test captaincy. I still think Kohli can be given captaincy in spite of his "current poor form". Ganguly sporadically performed with the bat when he was captain. But still his leadership style made a positive impact on India.

And I dont understand this theory of "Dhoni has to be captain till the World Cup". Have we ever heard of split captaincy? Dhoni should only be removed from test captaincy. Let him lead India to the World Cup in 2015. But let him hand over the test captaincy to someone else. Also some people have suggested that the Australian tour should have Dhoni as captain and even if we lose, it will all end at the World Cup. Why do we want to give up our hopes on the Australia tour? If we want to do well there, Dhoni has to go. England were generous to us in giving a very unlikely win. Australia won't be as generous.

I know all this will not happen and that the BCCI will stick to him till the World Cup (in all formats). But if that happens, we still have more dark days (like the one yday; like the ones we saw in 2011) to see in the upcoming months leading to the World Cup.[DOUBLEPOST=1407687737][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not everyone in the world starts under performing due to taking up captaincy. Its certain type of players who give the feeling that they might under perform if they take increased pressure. I dont believe Kohli and Pujara are that kind of players who will under perform if they take up captaincy.

What message does changing a Captain months before a WC sends, even if it is another format. Dhoni is the only leader in the team and everyone looks upto him in the team. He needs that authority to lead into the WC, and lets not kid ourselves, sacking him in tests, will hit that authority.

In Aus we will lose, regardless of who is captain. The problem is skill not leadership. Most teams will kill to have a captain like Dhoni. Changing our captain will not make the team suddenly remember how to bat, or make Kohli less of a sitting duck against Anderson. I mean would really understand this rage against Dhoni if India had been whacking Aus left right and centre before Dhoni and it suddenly stopped. It has never happened. The best it EVER got for India in recent years was a drawn series in Aus !! Also admit it, against Mitchell and co. you really think Pujara or Kohli leading will lead to India winning the series !!

Sack Dhoni for not winning away, when no one else ever has really. But the home run doesn't matter. Also its too much to say no other captain would survive a run like Dhoni, and that is untrue. Australia didn't sack Clarke after hte 4-0 drubbing in India, Clarke went and lost the Ashes 3-0. Thats a torrid run, and Clarke got past that. Sometimes you just have to accpet the team is not good enough and be done with it. If the batting cannot bat 60 overs to last the day, on flatish wicket with England one Bowler short, then its useless to change the Captain.

Also please don't say that unless we change how will be find out. Cristiano Ronaldo can probably be a great Goal Keeper, but you don't play him in goal to find out if thats true. The problem is the obsession with overseas performances, Dhoni is not winning away (well who has), so all the good results at home can be ignored. You mention the Dark days, well who was Captain at Lord's. Or who was captain when India #1 ranked test team. For all the gloating about our home form, Dhoni has now India on their second biggest winning streak in home in history - 6 straight and counting (The longest being in '93 on a ten match home win run). So even where we were strong, he is taking us to new heights. He ticks all the boxes, expect overseas wins. That one thing is what you want him sacked for.

Lets be honest going into the series vs England if someone had said we will be 2-1 down with one test to go, we would have snapped his hand off.

^ Pretty much agree with everything in that post. Changing the captain will not change India's fortune. The problem lies with the players. What the problem is, is a mystery, but it's baffling that they are losing so badly inspite of being marginally stronger than England on paper.

What message does changing a Captain months before a WC sends, even if it is another format. Dhoni is the only leader in the team and everyone looks upto him in the team. He needs that authority to lead into the WC, and lets not kid ourselves, sacking him in tests, will hit that authority.

I think its a good idea to handover the captaincy of the ODI team to Kohli before the worldcup, MSD will still be there to guide him along and nurture him for the bigger responsibility of being test captain. I remember Ponting had won a worldcup for Aus while Steve Waugh was still the test captain. Let Kohli lead the ODI team now and when MSD decides to call it a day in the next couple of years let Kohli take up the test captaincy.

^ Pretty much agree with everything in that post. Changing the captain will not change India's fortune. The problem lies with the players. What the problem is, is a mystery, but it's baffling that they are losing so badly inspite of being marginally stronger than England on paper.

Agree with everythign except the part that on paper we are better. I don't think we are. Anderson and Broad on paper are worth more all our bowlers put together. Cook on paper is another level. Kohli should have matched that, but he hasn't, but still the team is too inexperienced, and the numbers in batting are nowhere near their counterparts. In Cook and Bell England have too many runs and too much experience.

I think its a good idea to handover the captaincy of the ODI team to Kohli before the worldcup, MSD will still be there to guide him along and nurture him for the bigger responsibility of being test captain.

Frankly speaking, I'm not a big supporter of Kohli being the captain of India, at least not just yet. He is way too much emotional. A captain being that animated doesn't send the right signals to the dressing room whereas the opposition team wouldn't mind more of that. It plays on the minds psychologically. He needs to tone himself down before even thinking of leading the national side.

I think its a good idea to handover the captaincy of the ODI team to Kohli before the worldcup, MSD will still be there to guide him along and nurture him for the bigger responsibility of being test captain. I remember Ponting had won a worldcup for Aus while Steve Waugh was still the test captain. Let Kohli lead the ODI team now and when MSD decides to call it a day in the next couple of years let Kohli take up the test captaincy.

:noway

Changing Dhoni, that too in ODI before the WC is a poor idea which ever way you look at it. If for nothing else then for the fact that Kohli is battling his own demons right now, no need to dump the rest of the team on him.

Also Steve Waugh was no longer part of the ODI team when Ponting was leading. Dhoni is still a part of the team, but also one of the key pillars of the ODI team. Handing Kohli the captaincy over Dhoni just months before the world Cup is something I feel would be a very poor decision.

What the problem is, is a mystery, but it's baffling that they are losing so badly inspite of being marginally stronger than England on paper.
Its all about what the team does on the field....not how good it looks on paper.

If you look back haven't things improved already from the last tour. India registered an away win finally, a change of guard has happened, and its not a 5-0 which given the run India was on looked a given.

I agree the 2-1 defeat at home hurt more, but that is why I have so much respect for that English side. A mediocre side doesn't accidentally win in India. Thats just the second time in 14 years, and third in nearly 20 that India lost a series at home.
I see what you are saying, at least we have a win in this series, but the last 2 losses, that's a big step back compared to our performances in South Africa and New Zealand, in South Africa we should've won the game at Johannesburg and in New Zealand, at Auckland we were so very close to chasing down 400 odd and at Wellington we had 94-5 in the 2nd innings with a lead of 152 and we let them make 680, and in the process they batted us out of that game, so the performance as a whole, we were in positions where we could've won 3 of the 4 Tests.

This series has just been so weird and yet interesting, the India (and England) we saw up to the Lord's Test was the one I was banking on and it all seems to have changed with 1 dropped catch.

Agree with everythign except the part that on paper we are better.
That's the reason I said marginally better, and I made that comparison based on the form/morale/on and off field drama of the teams in question. Before the start of the series, India were definitely in a better frame of mind than England, especially with England having just lost to SL and the calls for sacking the captain getting louder.

Users who are viewing this thread