India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Kohli keeps getting out to Anderson, so maybe the comparisons with Tendulkar are correct - Anderson had Sachin in his pocket too.

Tendulkar averages 51.73 in all tests against England, and if you take only tests in England that average goes upto 54.31 !! So I don't know about what you wrote, but based on this figure there is no dispute about the fact that Tendulkar sure had the whole of English bowling in his pocket !!

Also as much as the English fans love to gloat about Anderson and Broad the truth is they are great when the conditions and pitch are tailor made for them but rather ineffective when its not. Both have test bowling avg touching 30, thats proof of that. All the true world class bowlers, average much closer to 20 at the very least 25. Murali 22, Warne 25, Walsh 25, Hadlee 22, Pollock 23, Wasim 23, Ambrose 20, Steyn, 22, Waqar 23, Imran 22, Lille 23, Donald 22 to give some world class examples.

Sure Anderson and Broad may get some wickets in tough conditions from time to time, but, for the most part, an avg of 30 suggests they need tailor made conditions to perform. They are Green Pitch Bully Bowlers for the most part.

Last edited:
The Indian performance was absolutely embarrasing. Looks like it's classic India o NC again, win one match and then lose the next 10-20! My faith in Virat Kohli has decreased simply because he doesn't have the patience and attitude to learn what he's doing wrong. He's getting out in the same way and keeps giving England slip catching practice. Virat is probably ecstatic that the match ended two days earlier so that he can spend more time with Anushka. I don't think he really cares about the team and he's acting careless now that he knows his place in the team is permanent. Dhoni said it's a lean patch every player goes through, but eight innings seems like too many chances. Kohli's footwork is absolutely bad he doesn't even get the front foot out to Anderson and just pokes at foolish balls. If you can't make runs in swinging conditions, I don't know how people can compare you to tendulkar. Why not have Anushka come out with you when you come to bat!

Its lame bringing his GF into this. Its not like he is saying, now that he is sleeping with Anushka, he neednt score runs. The trouble with fans like you is that there is no room for a player to have a poor run, without dragging his personal life into the picture. This is the first time since he has started playing that he is having a poor run. So in tests overseas, he averages, 37 in Aus (not bad), 71 in NZ and 68 in SA. Those are great numbers outside the subcontinent. FIRST bad series in four years and suddenly he cannot play cricket, and his GF is the reason !! Its laughable to be honest.

A lot of them judges players like Laxman and SRT based on their performances in the evening of their game and praise young players seeing one or two good knocks from them.Players like Dravid,SRT,Laxman,Sehwag,Dada made it to the team only after consistent scoring.For players like Kohli,Pujara and Rahane to receive a constant batting position,they should prove themselves well.Now what happens is that,due to the collective sudden retirement of the seniors,we were compelled to give the young players the titles that the veterans holded and now its impossible for us to think of changing Kohli from his 4th or Pujara from his 3rd position.I think we should change the order of lineup when required as the situation demands.I hope that could make a difference next time.

A lot of them judges players like Laxman and SRT based on their performances in the evening of their game and praise young players seeing one or two good knocks from them.Players like Dravid,SRT,Laxman,Sehwag,Dada made it to the team only after consistent scoring.For players like Kohli,Pujara and Rahane to receive a constant batting position,they should prove themselves well.Now what happens is that,due to the collective sudden retirement of the seniors,we were compelled to give the young players the titles that the veterans holded and now its impossible for us to think of changing Kohli from his 4th or Pujara from his 3rd position.I think we should change the order of lineup when required as the situation demands.I hope that could make a difference next time.

Yes its true, that the comparisons are early, but the fact is that, that its after a lot of consideration that Pujara is at 3 and Kohli at 4. Pujara is a calming influence and whether there is an early wicket that has fallen or a good start Pujara can consolidate. He can go in and hold up one end to keep the middle order from being exposed, and in a good start he can against ensure the good start is built up on, and another quick wicket doesn't undo a good start. Kohli is the best batsman India have and while this is a poor run, but so what. Ideally the batsman has to bat at no. 4 in tests, and that is why Kohli bats at where he does. In ODIs its three as the best Batsman should play as many overs as possible and that is why he bats higher at 3.

To be honest neither Pujara nor Kohli have said that are the next Dravid and SRT. Its just the media, why blame those two for that.

Tendulkar averages 51.73 in all tests against England, and if you take only tests in England that average goes upto 54.31 !! So I don't know about what you wrote, but based on this figure there is no dispute about the fact that Tendulkar sure had the whole of English bowling in his pocket !!

Also as much as the English fans love to gloat about Anderson and Broad the truth is they are great when the conditions and pitch are tailor made for them but rather ineffective when its not. Both have test bowling avg touching 30, thats proof of that. All the true world class bowlers, average much closer to 20 at the very least 25. Murali 22, Warne 25, Walsh 25, Hadlee 22, Pollock 23, Wasim 23, Ambrose 20, Steyn, 22, Waqar 23, Imran 22, Lille 23, Donald 22 to give some world class examples.

Sure Anderson and Broad may get some wickets in tough conditions from time to time, but, for the most part, an avg of 30 suggests they need tailor made conditions to perform. They are Green Pitch Bully Bowlers for the most part.
Anderson got Tendulkar out nine times. More than any other bowler. In. His. Pocket.

Anderson got Tendulkar out nine times. More than any other bowler. In. His. Pocket.

This made me laugh. Are u bowler dear sir? I bet once you get a batsman out after he has smashed u all over the place, you say, yeah I had him in my pocket :D I bet if Broad had gotten Yuvi, after he smashed Broad for 6 sixes in one over, you would go Broad, had Yuvi in his pocket :D

According to you someone getting out to a bowler = being in his pocket never mind the number of runs the Batsman had smashed already !!

If u stack up anyone's dismissals, some random clown would obviously have dismissed him more times than others. With SRT that clown just happens to be Anderson.

Let me help put the (most) 9 dismisslas in perfect context for you. Tendulkar in his 200 tests, played a total of 329 innings of which 9 times (most) he got out to Anderson. So Anderson dismissed SRT 9 in 329. That 9 in 329 equals being in someone's pocket, its beyond hilarious.

I am sure at some point another Bowler would have dismissed SRT most times, so was SRT in his pocket too?

Tendulkar smashed the whole of English bowling over 20 years to within an inch of their life, clearly shown by his avg of 51 vs England over all and 54 in England. So open your mind and let the words sink in - Tendulkar had the whole of English bowling over 20 years, including the mediocre 29.86 averaging Anderson, "In. His. Pocket."

Last edited:
This made me laugh. Are u bowler dear sir? I bet once you get a batsman out after he has smashed u all over the place, you say, yeah I had him in my pocket :D I bet if Broad had gotten Yuvi, after he smashed Broad for 6 sixes in one over, you would go Broad, had Yuvi in his pocket :D

According to you someone getting out to a bowler = being in his pocket never mind the number of runs the Batsman had smashed already !!

If u stack up anyone's dismissals, some random clown would obviously have dismissed him more times than others. With SRT that clown just happens to be Anderson.

Let me help put the (most) 9 dismisslas in perfect context for you. Tendulkar in his 200 tests, played a total of 329 innings of which 9 times (most) he got out to Anderson. So Anderson dismissed SRT 9 in 329. That 9 in 329 equals being in someone's pocket, its beyond hilarious.

Tendulkar smashed the whole of English bowling over 20 years to within an inch of their life, clearly shown by his avg of 51 vs England over all and 54 in England. So open your mind and let the words sink in - Tendulkar had the whole of English bowling over 20 years, including the mediocre 29.86 averaging Anderson, "In. His. Pocket."
That would only make any sense if all 329 innings of Tendulkar had been against an England team containing James Anderson. Calling him a 'clown' and 'mediocre' is also laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Tendulkar to be the 2nd best batsman ever to play the game, but he didn't like facing Anderson because he had him in his pocket.

That would only make any sense if all 329 innings of Tendulkar had been against an England team containing James Anderson. Calling him a 'clown' and 'mediocre' is also laughable.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Tendulkar to be the 2nd best batsman ever to play the game, but he didn't like facing Anderson because he had him in his pocket.

Hold on dear sir, again its irrelevant, how highly or low you rate SRT, the logic makes no sense.

Also clown is not in reference to Anderson, more in the context of how some clown would always have dismissed a batsman more times than another. Clown context was carried forward, and I didn't mean Anderson was a clown, just that the clown in SRT's case happens to be Anderson. Also I said Anderson's average of 29.86 is mediocre (mediocre 29.86 averaging Anderson), and if read the post before I have shown why 29.86 is a mediocre avg for Test bowlers. Great bowlers avg closer to 20.

Also the most dismissal part for Tendulkar is accross his entire career, all 329 innings. Hence the proper context is 9 out of 329.

To you the logic is if a bowler gets someone out, the batsman is in the bowler's pocket. The other side of the equation runs, doesn't matter? Hence I said if Braod had gotten Yuvi after he hit him for 6 sixes, your logic implies that Braod would have had Yuvi in his pocket.

At some point someone else would have dismissed TEndulkar most times, so was SRT in his pocket too. Its likely to be that the bowler to have dismissed Tendulkar changed a few times over his career, so would all these bowlers also be said to have Tendulkar in his pocket? Its true of all Batsmen, at some point some one would have dismissed him more than any other, and this may change over the course of his career. SO are all Batsmen in the pocket of those who at the time have dismissed him more than any other. Runs scored doesn't matter to determine who was in whose pocket.

Tendulkar avges 51 vs England and 54 in tests in England, and a batsman who avgs 50 against you att over 20 years is not exactly in your pocket. Hell if he had averaged 30 the in your pocket argument would still not hold. If a team or Bowler has a batsman in their pocket, the he should be averaging around 10 or 12, most definitely no more than 15 against that team. I am not saying Kohli is not a sititng Duck against Anderson this series sure he is. BUt Tendulkar with an avg of 51 overall and 54 in Eng, being in Eng's pocket is just laughable. Thus I don't know about Anderson having Tendulkar in his pocket, Tendulkar sure had the whole of Eng Bowling att, which includes Anderson, In his pocket, because an avg over 50 indicates he was regularly hammering runs against that attack, which includes Anderson.

Also what with him not liking facing Anderson. Given that he was on avg scoring a 50 everytime he faced an Eng att, including those led by Anderson, I am sure he liked facing Anderson and as much as he like facing anyone else, he liked it a lot probably.

Also 9 dismissals over a career is nowhere near the most dismissals of a Batsman by the same Bowler, not even half to be honest. Atherton fell 19 times to McGrath, and 17 times each to Walsh and Ambrose. Gooch 16 times to Marshall, M Waugh 15 times to Ambrose, Lara 15 times to McGrath, Ponting 14 times to Harbhajan. Also all these 19, 17, 16, 15 dismissals are over much fewer innings than SRT's 329, and thus more frequent on an average.

There are a total of 85 Batsman who have been dismissed 10 times or more by the same bowler. Thats right 85 before you even come to 9 dismissals of Tendulkar to Anderson.
You really want to make a mountain of a mere 9 dismissals, and make it seem like that big a deal that it equals the batsman being in the bowler's pocket. 9 is only the 86th most times a batsman has been dismissed to the same bowler, and thus by that stat alone not that frequent to be a big deal. On top of that is that SRT averages over 50 against England.

Last edited:
^ Could you get hold of just Anderson v/s Tendulkar stats in Tests? Maybe that might help tilt the favor over to one side. It would be interesting to see how costly or economical were those 9 wickets for Anderson.

And while we are at the topic, I think it's unreasonable to undermine Anderson because he got Tendulkar out only 9/329 innings. For we all know, he might have had below average stats against Anderson while hitting the other bowlers all over the park.

Last edited:

Again, 9 dismissals over a career is nowhere near the most dismissals of a Batsman by the same Bowler, not even half to be honest. Atherton fell 19 times to McGrath, and 17 times each to Walsh and Ambrose. Gooch 16 times to Marshall, M Waugh 15 times to Ambrose, Lara 15 times to McGrath, Ponting 14 times to Harbhajan. Also all these 19, 17, 16, 15 dismissals are over much fewer innings than SRT's 329, and thus more frequent on an average.

There are a total of 85 Batsman who have been dismissed 10 times or more by the same bowler. Thats right 85 before you even come to 9 dismissals of Tendulkar to Anderson.
You really want to make a mountain of a mere 9 dismissals, and make it seem like that big a deal that it equals the batsman being in the bowler's pocket. 9 is only the 86th most times a batsman has been dismissed to the same bowler, and thus by that stat alone not that frequent to be a big deal. On top of that is that SRT averages over 50 against England.

It's quite amusing how the slightest criticism of Tendulkar is clamped down on. As I've said, he may have been in Anderson's pocket, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great batsman.

^ Could you get hold of just Anderson v/s Tendulkar stats in Tests? Maybe that might help tilt the favor over to one side. It would be interesting to see how costly or economical were those 9 wickets for Anderson.

And while we are at the topic, I think it's unreasonable to undermine Anderson because he got Tendulkar out only 9/329 innings. For we all know, he might have had below average stats against Anderson while hitting the other bowlers all over the park.

I remember Price of Zim had tenulkar in all kinds of trouble on tour. SRT would be averaging not more than 10 against him. Are there stats on Price vs SRT. The point is even if you don't hit a bowler, and he eventually gets you out, you still whacked the rest of them to be averaging 50 against the overall attack. Even if one bowler kept getting him, he clearly didn't do it early enough to keep him from averaging 50.[DOUBLEPOST=1407780124][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's quite amusing how the slightest criticism of Tendulkar is clamped down on. As I've said, he may have been in Anderson's pocket, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great batsman.

This is not about SRT, just the overall logic that merely because a Bowler gets a batsman out, he is in his pocket. As i wrote earlier to a post, I will quote here -
The point is even if you don't hit a bowler, and he eventually gets you out, you still whacked the rest of them to be averaging 50 against the overall attack. Even if one bowler kept getting him, he clearly didn't do it early enough to keep him from averaging 50.

That is the Difference between Kohli and SRT. Kohli is a sitting duck against Anderson, but Anderson is getting Kohli early. If Anderson kept getting Kohli after he had scored a 50, its still a Kohli win. But Kohli is falling early to Anderson (albeit fewer times than SRT), but is still in his pocket, as Anderson is getting Kohli before he could do damage. SRT on the other hand (as the avg of 50 suggests), even if falling to Anderson was falling later in his innings after he had scored some runs (50 per innings). Still an SRT win. He was clever enough to see of Anderson in the early part and score off the lesser bowlers, before Anderson in the later spells may have gotten him. Damage still done by SRT. Thats what I have been saying all along Kohli and SRT situations are not even remotely similar.

Last edited:
ya anderson totally had sachin's number
[DOUBLEPOST=1407781024][/DOUBLEPOST]
That is the Difference between Kohli and SRT. Kohli is a sitting duck against Anderson, but Anderson is getting Kohli early.

ya three to 4 times SRT had crossed fifty when anderson got him out including that 91 where he was fantastic and looked like getting that 100th 100.

A lot of stuff like the form he was in also matters, before saying someone was in someone's pocket, if sachin was in anybody's pocket it would be allan donald or mcgrath even though he smashed mcgrath during 90s to later settle to a conservative role against him.

Kohli keeps getting out to Anderson, so maybe the comparisons with Tendulkar are correct - Anderson had Sachin in his pocket too.

Yeah but Tendulkar could actually play against Anderson too, Anderson didn't really get the better of him every single time. Tendulkar unlike Kohli could play against Anderson. Kohli hasn't shown anything positive against Anderson so far. You could say it is early in his career, but that would be the most obvious thing to say for Kohli fans.

Users who are viewing this thread