India in England Jun-Sept 2014

Well I agree with you, it is pathetic to bring his personal life into this but the way he keeps getting out tells me that he is not willing to learn and adjust. I have seen no technical adjustments from him in these four matches whatsoever. What is he doing in between matches???

hmmm .. I would say that's not really your business ? Maybe he is trying things that are not working out ? Or maybe he is slacking off ? Regardless, its sad that you bring in his personal life. In the end its just a sport and these guys are regular people, but people tend to forget that and make such statements

To start with Kohli is already a better batsman than Tendulkar, the guy was overrated!

Anderson owned Tendulkar like McGrath owned Lara, simple as that.

Anderson and Broad are the best pair of fast bowlers opening at present, yes I rate them higher than Steyn/Morkel or Steyn/Philander.

Anderson and Broad can make it easily in the top 5 fast bowlers at present, to think otherwise is foolish.

An overrated batsman scored more runs than anyone ever, I mean ever ! I can understand a player getting lucky in tests or ODIs and create a few records but you can't be a lucky clown and score more runs than anyone in both ODIs and Tests, especially with an Overseas avg as good if not better than in Subcontinent.

However that you think SRT was overrated and Kohli is better than him, is your opinion and you are entitled to them. But Anderson and Broad are not World Class, not while they average 30. The true WC bowlers, avg much nearer to 20. 22, 23 for the most part.

hmmm .. I would say that's not really your business ? Maybe he is trying things that are not working out ? Or maybe he is slacking off ? Regardless, its sad that you bring in his personal life. In the end its just a sport and these guys are regular people, but people tend to forget that and make such statements

He's representing India while he's on the field. Everything he does matters on a cricket field. Everyone needs to understand that he is representing India and he is picked to represent and play for India. If he has a really busy personal life then I think he should quit because he isn't helping India right now one bit and the team could try out another batsman in his place. His performances have severely affected team India's results in this series.

That is your point, its not about that fact the Kohli is on his first tour at all. To say Kohli is on his first tour and later on it will take care of itself is wrong. Its about the fact that he has a flaw and needs to sort, out or will struggle tour after tour.

Yes I know he needs to adjust technically in this series. Although it was this same technique that got him the wonderful 100 in Johannesburg in tough conditions. I'm trying to say that he keeps getting out repeatedly to the out swinging delivery and he needs to analyze his dismissals to Anderson so far. I don't think he is taking this seriously one bit because he is repeatedly making the same mistake. We always saw Tendulkar make quick technical adjustments whenever it was needed even while facing the next ball.

He's representing India while he's on the field. Everything he does matters on a cricket field. Everyone needs to understand that he is representing India and he is picked to represent and play for India. If he has a really busy personal life then I think he should quit because he isn't helping India right now one bit and the team could try out another batsman in his place. His performances have severely affected team India's results in this series.

Sorry. Please read what you, yourself are writing.

Yes he represents India (on the field). What he does off the field is none of your business. But obviously us subcontinent fans have a major issue with understanding this and I am not surprised :)

*That's mainly why we have idiots throwing stones at cricketer's houses when they fail !

Sorry. Please read what you, yourself are writing.

Yes he represents India (on the field). What he does off the field is none of your business. But obviously us subcontinent fans have a major issue with understanding this and I am not surprised :)

*That's mainly why we have idiots throwing stones at cricketer's houses when they fail !

I'm not siding with the people who would stone the cricketer's houses, but they do that in frustration because they are die hard cricket fans who cannot see their team lose badly just like the Manchester match!

I'm not siding with the people who would stone the cricketer's houses, but they do that in frustration because they are die hard cricket fans who cannot see their team lose badly just like the Manchester match!

Look whether a person fails or wins, personal life is not to be touched. Who he is dating, stoning throwing and all that. If the frustration is so high, just kick him from the team. End of. Anything beyond is a no no.

Also listening to the pundits is not a good idea for it can incite over-reaction. First of all I rarely heard any expert say anything apart from the fking obvious. Important not to lose early wickets when batting, getting a lead important, and the usual obvious things everyone and his dog knows. Even when they go slightly more in-depth they still harp on the obvious. Should India play 5 bowlers for instance. After Lord's they say go with 4 as Binny rarely used, then after 3rd test they said, play with 5. I mean thats obvious to any and everyone anyway.

In the context of stone throwing its especially important to point out this incident I recall on Harsha Bhogle. I don't know why he is a pundit, he has just used his presence on TV to write all kinds of books from how to be inspired to probably how to pick ones nose. The reason why I say Harsha Bhogle is I remember in the SA WC, India lost to Aus in the grp stages, and there was the incident, of ppl stoning Kaif's house or painting it black or something, and Sidhu (in all likelihood) who was working with ESPN at the time was blamed for causing this over-reaction. Well later the performances improved and India reached the finals, and somewhere during the good run, the clown Bhogle had the audacity to thank NS Sidhu on air saying that its good NS Sidhu said what he said, to incite the ppl as at least the performances improved !!

Last edited:

They are not die-hard cricket fans. They are idiots. Its okay to be upset about the team and to be angry/frustrated, because you are so emotionally invested in the sport and the team's performance. But getting personal is too far, and throwing stones is just unacceptable.

However that you think SRT was overrated and Kohli is better than him, is your opinion and you are entitled to them. But Anderson and Broad are not World Class, not while they average 30. The true WC bowlers, avg much nearer to 20. 22, 23 for the most part.

You need to realise the rules are stacked up against the fast bowlers, highly prone to injuries due to the number of games being played and there just isn't enough great fast bowlers present today as there was yesteryear!

So in the context of world cricket at present, which I based my first post on both Anderson and Broad are world class.

Then again you're the guy who thinks records stacked after records is was truly defines a cricketer only because he played 200 odd tests so i doubt you can understand the point I am trying to make wrt Anderson and Broad.

You need to realise the rules are stacked up against the fast bowlers, highly prone to injuries due to the number of games being played and there just isn't enough great fast bowlers present today as there was yesteryear!

So in the context of world cricket at present, which I based my first post on both Anderson and Broad are world class.

Then again you're the guy who thinks records stacked after records is was truly defines a cricketer only because he played 200 odd tests so i doubt you can understand the point I am trying to make wrt Anderson and Broad.

Hold on before I come to the rest of it what does this mean - "records stacked after records is was truly defines a cricketer only because he played 200 odd tests"

Records stacked after records defines a guy, regardless of how many tests he played. If he played one test and broke all kind and manner of records it would still define him.

Or are you saying that Tendulkar scored all those runs cos he played 200 tests? So you are essentially saying that even a monkey if it 200 tests would also score 18000 runs? Thats were averages come in you see and Tendulkar finished with 53.78. So you may he played so many tests, but totally miss the point on why did he play so many tests - because he kept performing. Let alone India there is not one side in the world who would drop a player averaging 53.78, don't kid yourself on that.

Now I also know the obvious response to this, is there are players who average more than 53.78, but that is where fitness comes in you see. Those who average more than him played fewer matches because they were not fit enough to score runs till the age of 40. Second Tendulkar remained super fit, and thats why he could last all those years to play 200 tests.

So if these two qualities of consistency and fitness make him over-rated to you, then well as I said you are welcome to your opinion.

Now coming to the rest of it. You said Rules are stacked against fast bowlers? In test cricket? Which rules exactly? Also how old are these rules, were they introduced recently, 10 years ago, 20 years ago? When? Unless you specify the rules there is nothing to discuss here. As far as I know, there are no rules, that specifically give the Fast Bowlers a handicap ... so the point you are making makes no sense. However if you know of any rules that specifically handicap fast bowlers, do specify them we could then discuss.

The second point you make is injuries, and if a bowler cannot stay fit, that is his problem. A bowler cannot say, I got injured or I would have been great. Also if there is too much cricket its not like anyone is forcing them to play all the matches, take a break in between manage your body. This point about injuries is just absurd to be honest. That is just neither here nor there.

Also if there are not as many great fast bowlers as years gone it doesn't mean that the bar for what defines a World Class bowler should be lowered. A bowling average of 30 doesn't define a world class bowler and it never has.

Also coming back to the rules of test cricket handicap fast bowlers nonsense. I can name some bowlers, who till recently played the game, and finished with averages closer to 20, max 25, while Anderson and Broad are nowhere near it. Now I don't know what rules of cricket handicap fast bowlers you say, but as far as I know the rules of test cricket have not undergone any major changes in the past 20 years. Lots in ODI cricket sure, but none in Test. So its safe to say, fast bowlers who played in the past 20 years, like Pollock, McGrath, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, have all played under the same rules that Anderson and Broad are playing under today. Yet the same rules didn't handicap any of these true great fast bowlers, from all averaging 22 or 23 for the most part. One could add Walsh and Ambrose to this list too.

Steyn who however you sretch it is a contemporary of Anderson and yet in fewer test matches and innings than Anderson, Steyn has taken more wickets, at a much better average of 22 ! Steyn and Broad's numbers are not even comparable, so lets not even bother. Steyn has 100 more wickets than Broad having played just 2 tests more. Now that is a world class bowler in any era of cricket ! So forget Steyn and Morkel, Steyn's numbers alone blow away both Broad and Anderson.

You want the standard of 'World Class' lowered just because right now there overall standard of fast bowling is low and want Anderson and Broad classed as 'World Class' when they average 30 !!

At best you can say that Anderson and Broad are among the top bowlers playing today. Yeah okay fine ... but 'World Class' come on !! Not averaging 30 they are not.

Anderson and Broad may be able to bully this Indian batting line up in favorable conditions, but at an avg of 30 won't go down as among the great fast bowlers.

Last edited:
Now coming to the rest of it. You said Rules are stacked against fast bowlers? In test cricket? Which rules exactly? Also how old are these rules, were they introduced recently, 10 years ago, 20 years ago? When? Unless you specify the rules there is nothing to discuss here. As far as I know, there are no rules, that specifically give the Fast Bowlers a handicap ... so the point you are making makes no sense. However if you know of any rules that specifically handicap fast bowlers, do specify them we could then discuss.

The second point you make is injuries, and if a bowler cannot stay fit, that is his problem. A bowler cannot say, I got injured or I would have been great. Also if there is too much cricket its not like anyone is forcing them to play all the matches, take a break in between manage your body. This point about injuries is just absurd to be honest. That is just neither here nor there.

Also if there are not as many great fast bowlers as years gone it doesn't mean that the bar for what defines a World Class bowler should be lowered. A bowling average of 30 doesn't define a world class bowler and it never has.

Also coming back to the rules of test cricket handicap fast bowlers nonsense. I can name some bowlers, who till recently played the game, and finished with averages closer to 20, max 25, while Anderson and Broad are nowhere near it. Now I don't know what rules of cricket handicap fast bowlers you say, but as far as I know the rules of test cricket have not undergone any major changes in the past 20 years. Lots in ODI cricket sure, but none in Test. So its safe to say, fast bowlers who played in the past 20 years, like Pollock, McGrath, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, have all played under the same rules that Anderson and Broad are playing under today. Yet the same rules didn't handicap any of these true great fast bowlers, from all averaging 22 or 23 for the most part. One could add Walsh and Ambrose to this list too.

Steyn who however you sretch it is a contemporary of Anderson and yet in fewer test matches and innings than Anderson, Steyn has taken more wickets, at a much better average of 22 ! Steyn and Broad's numbers are not even comparable, so lets not even bother. Steyn has 100 more wickets than Broad having played just 2 tests more. Now that is a world class bowler in any era of cricket ! So forget Steyn and Morkel, Steyn's numbers alone blow away both Broad and Anderson.

You want the standard of 'World Class' lowered just because right now there overall standard of fast bowling is low and want Anderson and Broad classed as 'World Class' when they average 30 !!

At best you can say that Anderson and Broad are among the top bowlers playing today. Yeah okay fine ... but 'World Class' come on !! Not averaging 30 they are not.

Anderson and Broad may be able to bully this Indian batting line up in favorable conditions, but at an avg of 30 won't go down as among the great fast bowlers.

The game today favors the batsmen in general, partly due to the advent of T20 cricket such as fielding restrictions and strict calling of wides, with fastbowlers generally they can use one bouncer per over, in the 80's this was not so, certainly limits the intimadatory tactic, one of the main weapons of the fast bowler.

Probably Steyn and to an extent Johnson can be compared with the great fast bowlers (and a fit Harris), I AM NOT DISPUTING THIS!!!!!

Yes an average of 30 is no where near the Garners, Akrams or Lillees, however at present both bowlers are ranked in the top 10 and have been consistent match winners for the English in recent times. Broad and Anderson can walk into the final test 11 for India, West Indies, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe comfortably, maybe even New Zealand (of recent they have been able to put a strong pace battery) that leaves only Australia, South Africa and Pakistan.

Fast bowlers arent just as good as they were in the past 30 yrs or so. This is why I am saying it is foolish to think that Broad and Anderson arent 'world class' in the context of today's test cricket.

I will refrain from engaging on Sachin further he is retired and not playing in this test. If you want I can answer your SRT questions on another suitable thread, no offence. Will mention this though you keep on quoting bowlers averages, Sachin is 20th on all time test batting averages whilst present day Sangakarra is ranked sixth, so going by your logic Sachin is somewaht overated and not even India's best batsman since Kambli has a higher batting average.

The game today favors the batsmen in general, partly due to the advent of T20 cricket such as fielding restrictions and strict calling of wides, with fastbowlers generally they can use one bouncer per over, in the 80's this was not so, certainly limits the intimadatory tactic, one of the main weapons of the fast bowler.

Probably Steyn and to an extent Johnson can be compared with the great fast bowlers (and a fit Harris), I AM NOT DISPUTING THIS!!!!!

Yes an average of 30 is no where near the Garners, Akrams or Lillees, however at present both bowlers are ranked in the top 10 and have been consistent match winners for the English in recent times. Broad and Anderson can walk into the final test 11 for India, West Indies, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe comfortably, maybe even New Zealand (of recent they have been able to put a strong pace battery) that leaves only Australia, South Africa and Pakistan.

Fast bowlers arent just as good as they were in the past 30 yrs or so. This is why I am saying it is foolish to think that Broad and Anderson arent 'world class' in the context of today's test cricket.

I will refrain from engaging on Sachin further he is retired and not playing in this test. If you want I can answer your SRT questions on another suitable thread, no offence. Will mention this though you keep on quoting bowlers averages, Sachin is 20th on all time test batting averages whilst present day Sangakarra is ranked sixth, so going by your logic Sachin is somewaht overated and not even India's best batsman since Kambli has a higher batting average.

Since you cannot let the SRT argument go lets address that first. You say I am harping on the point of Anderson's average and yet ignoring Tendulkar doesn't have the greatest batting avg ever. So this just show how the entire discussion has been futile because you have neither gotten the point on Anderson and nor have u got the point on Tendulkar. I have not said that Anderson is world class only if he has the BEST bowling avg. For anyone to be considered a world class bowler the threshold is an avg nearer to 20 than 30. Anderson thus doesn't cut it.

For a Batsman the commonly accepted threshold is an avg of atleast 50, and SRT at 53.78 easily crosses this threshold. So SRT is a world class batsman. Anyone who crosses an average of 50 is a world class batsman (over a large sample ofcourse). Also with Anderson not only does he have a terrible average, he is also only midway on the number of wickets taken. Had Anderson taken 800 wickets you could have argued that so what if he averages 30, he is still the highest wicket taker of all time. You cannot even make that argument with Anderson. So not only does he have an mediocre average he also as not taken anywhere near the most number of wickets, not even half of the guy who has most wickets !! So on both stats, Anderson lags well behind. See there are two indicators of quality for a bowler, avg, and actual number of wickets taken, Anderson lags behind on both counts. Steyn has more wickets in fewer tests.

The reason why we look at average is it shows the class. Anderson is still playing and is likely to take wickets, hence right now, his wickets tally is lower than what he will finish with. So Avg for him is a better indicator of how he is stacking up against the rest, especially those that have played before him and retired. So presently, the number of wickets taken are less, hence avg.is what indicates his quality. The best before him were taking every wicket @ 22 runs, Anderson is taking every wicket @ 30 runs, and thus he doesnt cut it sorry. Who are the best - those who have taken the most wickets of course, but till Anderson is playing, the avg is what helps find common footing for a comparison and in this comparison Anderson falls flat.

An average means something only when read in conjunction with total wickets. A newcomer in the first test, can take 10 wickets and finish with an average of 10 or 15, and you will then say oh all this while you kept harping on averages, so this new comer by that logic is the best bowler ever. Avg has to be read in conjunction with wickets taken and Anderson fails there. He is way off pace in terms of total wickets taken, but at the same time has a mediocre average. Steyn too well off right now in terms of total wickets, but he has the same average as the best of them, over a very large sample of performances and so one can class him as being in the league as best ever.

Anderson is neither in their league in terms of total wickets nor the average.

SRT on the other hand not only crosses the commonly accepted threshold for a world class batsman (50), but he does have the most number of runs to go with that average, which put him on the top of the pile in a league of his own. This SRT on both counts of Avg and Total Runs is world class. That you compare Kambli and SRT, when the former played a fraction of SRT's matches and scored an even lesser fraction of his runs, is actually forcing me to wonder how old are you. No offence. That you cannot understand that an avg of 50 over 100 innings is better than an avg of 60 over 10 innings, is quite interesting. 50 in 100 innings shows much more consistency over a much longer period, which is harder to attain than 60 over 10 innings.

You cannot over-rate, (in any way shape or form), Murali or Warne getting all those wickets, and you cannot eqaully over-rate SRT getting the most runs (in all forms) and most centuries. I mean you can have your opinion still by all means, its your opinion, but it wont be the most sound opinion. Still as I have always said, you want to think SRT was crap go ahead who is stopping you. The problem is you are not happy with just that, and constantly try and bring up the SRT issue, to try and convince others you are right !! I said the first time if you think Tendulkar was crap or over-rated, despite the fact that Tendulkar has scored more test runs than anyone, more ODI runs than anyone, more test 100s than anyone, more ODI 100s than anyone, more ODI 100s in winning cause than anyone, more runs in World Cups than anyone, in his career has won more man of the match awards than anyone, in his career has won more man of the series awards than anyone, and Kohli is better than him, just go ahead !! Good Luck with that.

Now coming to the Anderson issue, and once again like everything else you are missing to point completely. Being one of the best playing today and being world class are two different things. World Class over the years comprises of some min threshholds that a player has to cross. Which I have explained above is an avg of around 50 for Batsmen over a large sample, and an avg of around 22, 23 for bowlers over a large sample size. Sure the final goal is to finish with most wickets or most runs, and till one gets there, the avg if the sample is large enough provides a level playing field for comparison. Now don't tell me I have straighjacketed this into a science, sure there are some more things that may come into the picture from the time to time, but mainly these are the indicators.

So Anderson is one of the better fast bowlers bowling today, but with an avg of 30, he doesn't cross into the 'World Class' Threshold. That is the point I am making and which you are totally refusing to understand. While for today Anderson is among the best, an avg of 30 indicates, that he is far from the World Class threshold. Also remember both neither Steyn nor Anderson are going to break Murali's most wickets haul, neither is even halfway there, so the more relevant ground for comparison is average. Right Steyn's is as among the best of them, while Anderson's isn't. So when they both finish, even if Anderson take 10, 20 wickets more than Steyn (Steyn is ahead right now, but even if Anderson does), Steyn's average will put him above Anderson. Ofcourse if Anderson breaks into say the top 10 highest wicket takers, then he will have crossed a certain threshold and then his avg becomes secondary and one will then say Anderson was among the best ever or 'World Class'. Till he does, though he is just among the best today, which doesn't mean 'World Class'. I think even you would have understood by now.

I will give you another example, there is a dearth of leg spinners playing today. There is Sunil Narine and Imran Tahir of SA. So technically Tahir is one of the best leg spinners playing today but is he 'WOrld Class' - NO. Same with Anderson, he must cross into one of the world class thresholds, till then he is just one of the best today. Do you get the difference now?

Also lastly don;t give me the nonsense about rules being against fast bowlers. Rules of T20 have nothing to do with test cricket and it is test cricket numbers we are discussing here. Far from being restricted, Bowlers have the most liberty in test cricket. Oh and tough rules regarding wides, in test cricket what on earth are you talking about. You ave to get the ball to go to second slip before an Umpire will even consider giving something a wide. Test is where the bowlers have the most freedom to bowl and least restrictions.

Wasim, Waqar, Pollock, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose all played their cricket in the 90s in the same rules that Anderson and Broad are playing in and not only did they all pick up wickets they picked them up at stunningly low averages. So stop hiding behind arguments that are literally laughable. Tougher rules for fast bowlers and injuring and what not.

Last edited:
IF im to make a good comparison anderson is zaheer khan at his best, its not a coincidence that both have similar records, they are both invaluable to their respective teams thats it, goign on to compare them to steyn, morkel philander attack is comical.

One thing about Tendulkar is that he did play on about 6 or 7 years too long.

Users who are viewing this thread