India in England Jun-Sept 2014

ya him having a glorious 24 year career is in itself a great achievement but certainly thats not the only thing about him, atleast to people who are not determined to belittle him for whatever reason god only knows.
I can understand people not wanting to rate him The best as all of us have favorites ranging from lara, ponting kallis etc but he is certainly one of the best batsman of the generation whatever said and done, the memories, the records those shots against all attacks and conditions speak for themselves, Its not so hard.

One thing about Tendulkar is that he did play on about 6 or 7 years too long.

I think one could make the case for SRT having 2 years too long, and that he should have retired after 2011 WC. But not 7 years too long surely. In between 2007 and 2013 Tendulkar kind of maintained his avg, 52 as against an overall avg of 53.7, and score nearly 10000 runs while in ODIs in the same period Tendulkar;s avg jumped to 48 as against a career avg of 45.

Since you cannot let the SRT argument go lets address that first. You say I am harping on the point of Anderson's average and yet ignoring Tendulkar doesn't have the greatest batting avg ever. So this just show how the entire discussion has been futile because you have neither gotten the point on Anderson and nor have u got the point on Tendulkar. I have not said that Anderson is world class only if he has the BEST bowling avg. For anyone to be considered a world class bowler the threshold is an avg nearer to 20 than 30. Anderson thus doesn't cut it.

For a Batsman the commonly accepted threshold is an avg of atleast 50, and SRT at 53.78 easily crosses this threshold. So SRT is a world class batsman. Anyone who crosses an average of 50 is a world class batsman (over a large sample ofcourse). Also with Anderson not only does he have a terrible average, he is also only midway on the number of wickets taken. Had Anderson taken 800 wickets you could have argued that so what if he averages 30, he is still the highest wicket taker of all time. You cannot even make that argument with Anderson. So not only does he have an mediocre average he also as not taken anywhere near the most number of wickets, not even half of the guy who has most wickets !! So on both stats, Anderson lags well behind. See there are two indicators of quality for a bowler, avg, and actual number of wickets taken, Anderson lags behind on both counts. Steyn has more wickets in fewer tests.

The reason why we look at average is it shows the class. Anderson is still playing and is likely to take wickets, hence right now, his wickets tally is lower than what he will finish with. So Avg for him is a better indicator of how he is stacking up against the rest, especially those that have played before him and retired. So presently, the number of wickets taken are less, hence avg.is what indicates his quality. The best before him were taking every wicket @ 22 runs, Anderson is taking every wicket @ 30 runs, and thus he doesnt cut it sorry. Who are the best - those who have taken the most wickets of course, but till Anderson is playing, the avg is what helps find common footing for a comparison and in this comparison Anderson falls flat.

An average means something only when read in conjunction with total wickets. A newcomer in the first test, can take 10 wickets and finish with an average of 10 or 15, and you will then say oh all this while you kept harping on averages, so this new comer by that logic is the best bowler ever. Avg has to be read in conjunction with wickets taken and Anderson fails there. He is way off pace in terms of total wickets taken, but at the same time has a mediocre average. Steyn too well off right now in terms of total wickets, but he has the same average as the best of them, over a very large sample of performances and so one can class him as being in the league as best ever.

Anderson is neither in their league in terms of total wickets nor the average.

SRT on the other hand not only crosses the commonly accepted threshold for a world class batsman (50), but he does have the most number of runs to go with that average, which put him on the top of the pile in a league of his own. This SRT on both counts of Avg and Total Runs is world class. That you compare Kambli and SRT, when the former played a fraction of SRT's matches and scored an even lesser fraction of his runs, is actually forcing me to wonder how old are you. No offence. That you cannot understand that an avg of 50 over 100 innings is better than an avg of 60 over 10 innings, is quite interesting. 50 in 100 innings shows much more consistency over a much longer period, which is harder to attain than 60 over 10 innings.

You cannot over-rate, (in any way shape or form), Murali or Warne getting all those wickets, and you cannot eqaully over-rate SRT getting the most runs (in all forms) and most centuries. I mean you can have your opinion still by all means, its your opinion, but it wont be the most sound opinion. Still as I have always said, you want to think SRT was crap go ahead who is stopping you. The problem is you are not happy with just that, and constantly try and bring up the SRT issue, to try and convince others you are right !! I said the first time if you think Tendulkar was crap or over-rated, despite the fact that Tendulkar has scored more test runs than anyone, more ODI runs than anyone, more test 100s than anyone, more ODI 100s than anyone, more ODI 100s in winning cause than anyone, more runs in World Cups than anyone, in his career has won more man of the match awards than anyone, in his career has won more man of the series awards than anyone, and Kohli is better than him, just go ahead !! Good Luck with that.

Now coming to the Anderson issue, and once again like everything else you are missing to point completely. Being one of the best playing today and being world class are two different things. World Class over the years comprises of some min threshholds that a player has to cross. Which I have explained above is an avg of around 50 for Batsmen over a large sample, and an avg of around 22, 23 for bowlers over a large sample size. Sure the final goal is to finish with most wickets or most runs, and till one gets there, the avg if the sample is large enough provides a level playing field for comparison. Now don't tell me I have straighjacketed this into a science, sure there are some more things that may come into the picture from the time to time, but mainly these are the indicators.

So Anderson is one of the better fast bowlers bowling today, but with an avg of 30, he doesn't cross into the 'World Class' Threshold. That is the point I am making and which you are totally refusing to understand. While for today Anderson is among the best, an avg of 30 indicates, that he is far from the World Class threshold. Also remember both neither Steyn nor Anderson are going to break Murali's most wickets haul, neither is even halfway there, so the more relevant ground for comparison is average. Right Steyn's is as among the best of them, while Anderson's isn't. So when they both finish, even if Anderson take 10, 20 wickets more than Steyn (Steyn is ahead right now, but even if Anderson does), Steyn's average will put him above Anderson. Ofcourse if Anderson breaks into say the top 10 highest wicket takers, then he will have crossed a certain threshold and then his avg becomes secondary and one will then say Anderson was among the best ever or 'World Class'. Till he does, though he is just among the best today, which doesn't mean 'World Class'. I think even you would have understood by now.

I will give you another example, there is a dearth of leg spinners playing today. There is Sunil Narine and Imran Tahir of SA. So technically Tahir is one of the best leg spinners playing today but is he 'WOrld Class' - NO. Same with Anderson, he must cross into one of the world class thresholds, till then he is just one of the best today. Do you get the difference now?

Also lastly don;t give me the nonsense about rules being against fast bowlers. Rules of T20 have nothing to do with test cricket and it is test cricket numbers we are discussing here. Far from being restricted, Bowlers have the most liberty in test cricket. Oh and tough rules regarding wides, in test cricket what on earth are you talking about. You ave to get the ball to go to second slip before an Umpire will even consider giving something a wide. Test is where the bowlers have the most freedom to bowl and least restrictions.

Wasim, Waqar, Pollock, Donald, Walsh, Ambrose all played their cricket in the 90s in the same rules that Anderson and Broad are playing in and not only did they all pick up wickets they picked them up at stunningly low averages. So stop hiding behind arguments that are literally laughable. Tougher rules for fast bowlers and injuring and what not.

In my previous post I mentioned that this is not the thread to debate SRT, he is retied, not playing anymore, he is gone he is dusted, GET OVER IT.

Firstly I understand and agree that Anderson and Broad are no greats.

All I am simply stating is that in today's game both guys are great fast bowlers. As I stated before these guys can walk into the final eleven for WI, ZIM, BANG, SL, or NZ sides comfortably. Most of all they're better than any fast bowler India has an offer today, not counting Zaheer since you guys have decided to discard the only 'world class' performer you have.

Finally take a look at all the young Australian fast bowlers have bowed out due to injury recently, possibly due to the amount of cricket being played. Pakistan had some fast bowlers coming through recently but bad decisions by the board and match fixing and no playing of home tests have derailed them. West Indies seem to be in a fast bowler recession for a while now, since Ambrose/Walsh/Bishop they haent had anyone of noteworthy mention even Roach is bowling slower these days. South Africa is the only team that has produced the Steyns and Phillanders.

Have a read of this article

'You can bowl fast within the laws' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

My last question to you why has India now or never been able to produce a 'world class' fast bowler to date.

Then again you're the guy who thinks records stacked after records is was truly defines a cricketer only because he played 200 odd tests so i doubt you can understand the point I am trying to make wrt Anderson and Broad.
Having an average of 50+ after playing 200 tests,isn't it an obvious reason why SRT is better?

My last question to you why has India now or never been able to produce a 'world class' fast bowler to date.
We had a Zaheer,an Ishant who bowled well occassionally(although getting smashed periodically),an Irfan Pathan(World Class bowling when at best) and even a Bhuvaneshwar who bowled great on debut and in the Champions trophy.They all had the potential but could just not carry the form to the future.

In my previous post I mentioned that this is not the thread to debate SRT, he is retied, not playing anymore, he is gone he is dusted, GET OVER IT.

Firstly I understand and agree that Anderson and Broad are no greats.

All I am simply stating is that in today's game both guys are great fast bowlers. As I stated before these guys can walk into the final eleven for WI, ZIM, BANG, SL, or NZ sides comfortably. Most of all they're better than any fast bowler India has an offer today, not counting Zaheer since you guys have decided to discard the only 'world class' performer you have.

Finally take a look at all the young Australian fast bowlers have bowed out due to injury recently, possibly due to the amount of cricket being played. Pakistan had some fast bowlers coming through recently but bad decisions by the board and match fixing and no playing of home tests have derailed them. West Indies seem to be in a fast bowler recession for a while now, since Ambrose/Walsh/Bishop they haent had anyone of noteworthy mention even Roach is bowling slower these days. South Africa is the only team that has produced the Steyns and Phillanders.

Have a read of this article

'You can bowl fast within the laws' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

This is getting ridiculous now. For the last time, these are all the relevant points in regard to all the points being discussed here -

First of all, "GET OVER IT" - wooooh caps lock !! what exactly is that supposed to do, scare me !! :D

Secondly, the very first I said to you when the SRT discussion started, was its your opinion and you are entitled to it. You are the one who then couldn't let it go and kept ranting about it. So you are the one that needs to get over it and move on (See it can be said without caps lock). So if you reply to this post, then omitting SRT reference in the reply would be a great way to do what you are trying to preach, and show that you are over it.

Third, most relevant and important of all -

Firstly I understand and agree that, Anderson and Broad are no greats.

Great you got the point! End of Discussion !

Fourth, as for all the rest of it, I don't even know what you are trying to say. Aussuie bowlers getting injured !! So? What does that have anything to do Anderson and Braod averaging 30 and Steyn having an avg of 22. If you are saying fast bowlers get injured a lot and fast bowling in general is hard work, again how does that justify Anderson's avg of 30? Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, Steyn, Pollock, Donald, Ambrose, etc. are all fast bowlers too and faced the same perils that Anderson faces, and still came up with much better career figures than Anderson !!

If there is too much cricket then don't play all the matches, take a break when exhausted and manage your body better. If a player cannot do that, its his fault and his fault alone. Also the fitness regimes are the best in today's times than they have ever been. So if a player cannot stay fit in today's times, its even more on him than in earlier times.

Fiftth, Zaheer was not a world class bowler, just the best India produced in a long while. You can say India have dropped their best bowler, but its wrong to say that Zaheer was the one world class fast bowler India had - he was never fast, nor was he world class. He was rather good still till he could perform. He can't any longer, and has thus been dropped. He was terrible on the tours to SA and NZ, and went a few innings without taking any wickets at all. So its clear to those who have seen Zaheer recently (and not talking based on past performances), that he is not good enough anymore. Still even with all his limitations. he was a great servant of Indian cricket and we are all grateful.

Why has India never produced fast bowlers - because the pitches don't encourage fast bowling in Indian domestic cricket. Youngsters know they have a far greater, chance of success in India either as spinners or as Batsmen. So fast bowlers have never come through in India. Because the overall cricket culture since ages has been tilted towards Batsmen and Spinners. The one potential World Class, seamer India did produce was Irfan Pathan, who never got anywhere near the expectation, because a clown called Greg Chappell as a coach of India, totally killed his bowling, changed his action, and what not, and Irfan Pathan was done. So that answers your question, which btw was totally unrelated to anything we had been discussing so far.

So that adresses all the points you raised, and since you agreed on the point about Adnerson, it is the end of this discussion, as far as I go. (I mean if we both agree Anderson is not 'World Class' or 'great', what else is there to discuss on the point). Thank You.

Last edited:
Having an average of 50+ after playing 200 tests,isn't it an obvious reason why SRT is better?

Nope its not to him. How can someone not understand 50 + over 200 fking tests, shows the greatest of consistancy is beyond me ... Maths being an Issue with him I think, not his fav subject perhaps.

Last edited:
This is getting ridiculous now. For the last time, these are all the relevant points in regard to all the points being discussed here -

First of all, "GET OVER IT" - wooooh caps lock !! what exactly is that supposed to do, scare me !! :D

Secondly, the very first I said to you when the SRT discussion started, was its your opinion and you are entitled to it. You are the one who then couldn't let it go and kept ranting about it. So you are the one that needs to get over it and move on (See it can be said without caps lock). So if you reply to this post, then omitting SRT reference in the reply would be a great way to do what you are trying to preach, and show that you are over it.

Third, most relevant and important of all -

I am by no means over the SRT discussion just not on this thread. This is prmarily since in the past I have recieved infractions for my anti- tenddulkar posts, so on a suitable thread I will debate why Tendulkar is nothing.

Fourth, as for all the rest of it, I don't even know what you are trying to say. Aussuie bowlers getting injured !! So? What does that have anything to do Anderson and Braod averaging 30 and Steyn having an avg of 22. If you are saying fast bowlers get injured a lot and fast bowling in general is hard work, again how does that justify Anderson's avg of 30? Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, Steyn, Pollock, Donald, Ambrose, etc. are all fast bowlers too and faced the same perils that Anderson faces, and still came up with much better career figures than Anderson !!

If there is too much cricket then don't play all the matches, take a break when exhausted and manage your body better. If a player cannot do that, its his fault and his fault alone. Also the fitness regimes are the best in today's times than they have ever been. So if a player cannot stay fit in today's times, its even more on him than in earlier times.

Fast bowling is difficult. It is widely known the amount of cricket played today is way more than the past years, even the IPL/CPL/BB are all demanding on a fast bowlers body. If you cant understand thus then you're just being stubborn.

Fiftth, Zaheer was not a world class bowler, just the best India produced in a long while. You can say India have dropped their best bowler, but its wrong to say that Zaheer was the one world class fast bowler India had - he was never fast, nor was he world class. He was rather good still till he could perform. He can't any longer, and has thus been dropped. He was terrible on the tours to SA and NZ, and went a few innings without taking any wickets at all. So its clear to those who have seen Zaheer recently (and not talking based on past performances), that he is not good enough anymore. Still even with all his limitations. he was a great servant of Indian cricket and we are all grateful.

Why has India never produced fast bowlers - because the pitches don't encourage fast bowling in Indian domestic cricket. Youngsters know they have a far greater, chance of success in India either as spinners or as Batsmen. So fast bowlers have never come through in India. Because the overall cricket culture since ages has been tilted towards Batsmen and Spinners. The one potential World Class, seamer India did produce was Irfan Pathan, who never got anywhere near the expectation, because a clown called Greg Chappell as a coach of India, totally killed his bowling, changed his action, and what not, and Irfan Pathan was done. So that answers your question, which btw was totally unrelated to anything we had been discussing so far.

The pitches in the Caribbean has been slowing down, so similar to the Indian pitches that's why the the WI arent producing world class fast bowlers recently. Irfan Pathan was mismanaged yes but in my view I dont think he had the goods.

T20 cricket has shown to produce batsmen (slogs) so similar to the Indians not producing fast bowlers the mentality of the younger generation of players around the world have become similar.

Hence I asked the initial question wrt India not producing a world class fast bowler.

So that adresses all the points you raised, and since you agreed on the point about Adnerson, it is the end of this discussion, as far as I go. (I mean if we both agree Anderson is not 'World Class' or 'great', what else is there to discuss on the point). Thank You.

Exactly we both agree that Jimmy nor Broad will be considered a true great in the company of Ambrose/McGrath/Thompson but other than Steyn who else playing today can be mentioned amongst the elate? More or less no other bowler can, probably if we had a Ryan Harris less prone to injury. So this is why all I am saying is that Jimmy and Broad are great bowlers in the context of today's game. I am sure you will take them to play for Inia anyday.

One thing about Tendulkar is that he did play on about 6 or 7 years too long.

Nah that's not accurate. After his tennis elbow issues between 2003-2007 which sort of slowed down test match production compared to his prolific 90s effort - he had a brilliant late career revival between 2008-2011 that brought back memories of his 90s glories.

He then struggled during the 2011 tours to ENG/AUS. So at best he probably should have retired after the home series vs ENG 2012, which means he only played about 11 months too long.

I am by no means over the SRT discussion just not on this thread. This is prmarily since in the past I have recieved infractions for my anti- tenddulkar posts, so on a suitable thread I will debate why Tendulkar is nothing.

See now you are getting retarded, your fixation on Tedulkar is fasciting, after all the preaching you can still not let it go. ... 'Tendulkar is nothing u said' ... Haha good one ! I thought earlier you wanted an objective discussion, but that point just shows how butt hurt you are about Tendulkar for some reason or the other. What happened, did one of his sixes smash your window? :D

Also after all the discussion if you think, you and I are in agreement about SRT, even 1%, then you need to see an English teacher though, who can teach you to read and understand English sentences. :D Oh and you will 'prove' SRT was nothing ... hahaha ... what will you do, delete his runs from the record books :D

Also its rather pathetic that just cos you had 'infractions' for 'anti-tendulkar posts', you have made it a crusade against SRT. If ppl agree with fine, if they don't move on. The fixation is pathetic.

Fast bowling is difficult. It is widely known the amount of cricket played today is way more than the past years, even the IPL/CPL/BB are all demanding on a fast bowlers body. If you cant understand thus then you're just being stubborn.

You are thick if you do not understand the no one is forcing Anderson to play IPL/CPL/BB. Just play test cricket and manage your body (not that ANderson has ever played IPL.CPL. Fast bowling is hard work only for Anderson it seems :D, Walsh, Ambrose, Pollock, Donald, and so many more coped just with it. So if Anderson cannot cope with the demands of cricket, that is just one more reason why he is not in their league. Fast bowling is hard work for Anderson, boo-fking-hoo !! Also what the fk are you going on and on aboout IPL/CPL/BB for. Anderson doesn't even play in any of the competitions !

The pitches in the Caribbean has been slowing down, so similar to the Indian pitches that's why the the WI arent producing world class fast bowlers recently. Irfan Pathan was mismanaged yes but in my view I dont think he had the goods.
T20 cricket has shown to produce batsmen (slogs) so similar to the Indians not producing fast bowlers the mentality of the younger generation of players around the world have become similar. Hence I asked the initial question wrt India not producing a world class fast bowler.

WTF does this have anything to do with anything. When did I say, WI should be producing fast bowlers, or Ind should be producing fast bowlers ! What does any of this have to do with Anderson not being world class. If India are not producing fast bowlers how does that justify Anderson having a mediocre average. Also if you think Irfan didn't have it in him, again thats your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Its another thing that in light of your views on SRT your opinion carries no weight whatsoever for me. BUt still you are entitled to your opinion, gl.

Exactly we both agree that Jimmy nor Broad will be considered a true great in the company of Ambrose/McGrath/Thompson
Thats what I have been saying all along, so what the fk are you going on and on about.

other than Steyn who else playing today can be mentioned amongst the elate? More or less no other bowler can, probably if we had a Ryan Harris less prone to injury. So this is why all I am saying is that Jimmy and Broad are great bowlers in the context of today's game. I am sure you will take them to play for Inia anyday.

Why can u nt get the simple point. Who said Anderson and Broad, are good bowlers playing right now, but that doesn't make them great. Imran Tahir is one of the better leg spinners bowling today but is a he great bowler because of that !!

So once again, here is the improtant bit -

1) You and I do not agree on SRT
2) You and I agree Anderson at an avg of 30 is unlikely to go down among the greats.
3) You and I agree that Anderon is one of the better fast bowlers today, but just like Imran Tahir being one of the top leg spinners playing today, doesn't mean he is a world class leg spinner, niether does Anderson qualify as a great bowler, merely because right now he is the better ones.

Last edited:
An overrated batsman scored more runs than anyone ever, I mean ever ! I can understand a player getting lucky in tests or ODIs and create a few records but you can't be a lucky clown and score more runs than anyone in both ODIs and Tests, especially with an Overseas avg as good if not better than in Subcontinent.

However that you think SRT was overrated and Kohli is better than him, is your opinion and you are entitled to them. But Anderson and Broad are not World Class, not while they average 30. The true WC bowlers, avg much nearer to 20. 22, 23 for the most part.

Dont worry. That guy (Untouchables666) has a infamous history of his crush for Tendulkar! Anything he says about Sachin, don't give too much importance to it.:D

So once again, here is the improtant bit -

1) You and I do not agree on SRT
2) You and I agree Anderson at an avg of 30 is unlikely to go down among the greats.
3) You and I agree that Anderon is one of the better fast bowlers today, but just like Imran Tahir being one of the top leg spinners playing today, doesn't mean he is a world class leg spinner, niether does Anderson qualify as a great bowler, merely because right now he is the better ones.

Exactly thats why my first post on the matter at hand alluded to this. Maybe you interpreted it wrong or emotions got the better of you, we all make mistakes its only human:

Anderson owned Tendulkar like McGrath owned Lara, simple as that.

Anderson and Broad are the best pair of fast bowlers opening at present, yes I rate them higher than Steyn/Morkel or Steyn/Philander.

Anderson and Broad can make it easily in the top 5 fast bowlers at present, to think otherwise is foolish.
I realise youre a bit agitated with the harsh words you are using and censored expletives. Relax we're not arguing rather debating. Chill take a five. Any SRT specific I will entertain on another thread or we can start a private discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread