India in England Jun-Sept 2014

@Epic, I will tell you why we won`t come even close to winning this one. Firstly, Dhoni has been through Jo`burg and Wellington recently. At Jo`burg he had 450 runs in the bag to defend in a little over 4 sessions and yet we came so close to losing it after being a wicket away from winning it. It happened again in NZ where we let them get away from 95/5, trailing by 250+!

Dhoni, who is even otherwise a defensive captain will now be even more cautious in setting targets. Presuming that England bat out the whole day today and we get a lead of 100ish, Dhoni would`nt be willing to set a target of anything less than 500 in 3 sessions which would take us into Day 4. The rate at which anything happens in this test match is too slow to get us a result, especially in India`s favor. If any team can win this game, it has to still be England, purely because of the fact that they can still afford to grind out a 500 target and try to trigger an Indian batting collapse which is very likely.

Draw - 60%, England win- 30%, India win - 10%.

I see your point about the game at Durban and Wellington playing on Dhoni's mind when it comes to setting a target, but I hope he listens to his own advice and takes each game at a time and on it's own merit.

I just don't see where England's wickets are going to come from with the pitch getting slower and slower, and batting getting worse and worse, and by worse I mean run scoring becoming tougher, but getting the batsmen out is going to be just as tough on the pace bowlers, this is the sort of pitch where a Test match can be easily (quite an overstatement) saved and England could very well do that, but this is where we have a spinner and they don't, if Jadeja can get any sort of turn, we'd be favorites to beat out that 60% you got on a draw.

As things stand, I'd say it's draw - 60%, India win - 30%, England win - 10%.

----------

And to your point about how slow things seem to happen in this Test match, England would be well into day 5 if they grind out a 500 run target. :rolleyes

KP had a good article a couple of days ago blaming the new drainage systems for these dry slow pitches.

That combined with my current disillusionment with the captain and management is ensuring that I'm mostly following the Tour de France instead this month...

Was`nt it this way last year during the Ashes as well? Even the pitches during the SL series was not too different to this one. Is it a case of the wickets slowing down in general?

I think KP does have a point about the drainage system. They are top drawer now, play can start after a rain delay much quicker than it used to, but at the expense of all the moisture being taken out of the pitch. At Trent Bridge they also said the new stand has changed the 'atmospheric conditions' against swing.

It's useless for the fast bowlers to bowl on these type of pitches. It only adds frustration. Why don't they use bowling machines ?

I hope Binny gets clobbered here and never gets near the test squad again.

This will take some beating for most misleading headline of the year.

BsQuhTZIAAAd6wI.jpg:large

Kohli be dropping catches in the slip all day e'ryday...

I have said this time and time again that he drops way too many catch for a good fielder like him. It was a hard chance because he was in leg slip but with the bowling attack like ours, we need to take all the chances that come our way.

Tell me I wasn't the only one that saw Real-time Snicko and the slow motion cameras contradict Hot Spot... yay, Ian Botham sees it too.

Users who are viewing this thread