National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4

Quite apt and to the point.

Its sad that Pujara is never considered for an ODI spot, because I think he would be a major force in the shorter format too. Dravid had to go through this phase too where he wasn't considered attacking enough for ODI, and then ended up being an invaluable player for our ODI setup. I think he had one of the lowest dot-ball percentage, rotating the strike at will. I think Pujara is capable of that way more than Hit

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Wow, decided to compare Pujara v Rohit's List A stats.

Rohit: 205 Matches, 10 100's 39.06 Average
Pujara: 77 Matches, 10 100's, 54.01 Average

LOL !!!

And here is First Class just for kicks.

Rohit: 71 Mat, 18 100's, 55.96 Avg
Pujara: 114 Mat , 29 100's, 56.21 Avg

Look at the century count. in both cases. Even the most basic cricket fan can figure out who has the temperament to play long innings in both formats of the game.

PokerAce

Banned
Quite apt and to the point.

Its sad that Pujara is never considered for an ODI spot, because I think he would be a major force in the shorter format too. Dravid had to go through this phase too where he wasn't considered attacking enough for ODI, and then ended up being an invaluable player for our ODI setup. I think he had one of the lowest dot-ball percentage, rotating the strike at will. I think Pujara is capable of that way more than Hit

I think more than batting or slow batting, Pujara big stumbling block is his fielding. Pujara is not the quickest in the field, and the knee injury and surgery he had is seen as severing limiting his fielding. That is the key reason he doesn't get into the limited over side.

Also looking ahead to SA, assuming the availability of all players the team that will feature is Vijay, Dhawan, Pujara, Kohli and Rahane. I don't see Pujara getting dropped after this knock. Indian fans will batter Rohit if that happens.

Having seen both Saha and Ojha, I personally find Ojha as the one who gives me more confidence when he is batting. He is a more 'free' Batsman. There is something about the way he moves when he bats, that suggests batting comes more naturally than it does to Saha. Ashwin and Mishra sort of pick themselves, Ishant does too. I have a feeling the team will continue with Ishant, and I will admit that while I am not the biggest fan of Binny, he has done enough to find a place against SA.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Of the two Sharma's, Ishant is the one who actually deserves his place to some extent: This is his 4th 5-wkt haul in the last 10 completed matches.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
Right now it seems that any Sharma is getting crapped on... Oh I feel for pore Karn, Mohit, Rahul and all the other Sharmas... stay strong...

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
It is funny how people are glorifying Pujara after one hundred.

As far as I'm concerned, Pujara is by far the choice for tests and Rohit is by far the choice for limited overs. I think it's a joke to compare Pujara to Dravid and it's nothing but daft to suggest Pujara's name over R Sharma's for ODI's/T20's. There's a reason why Pujara doesn't have an IPL contract. Also, who are you going to drop to get Pujara?

It's like saying Raina should play ahead of Rahane in tests.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Of the two Sharma's, Ishant is the one who actually deserves his place to some extent: This is his 4th 5-wkt haul in the last 10 completed matches.

I tell you what, I have no idea who you are but I promise you that if you played 60 tests like Ishant, by now you would be a better bowler than him. He's bowling on a track where it's decking around against a very mediocre batting line up. Perhaps, SL's weakest since the early 90's/late 80's. When he's required, he either gets injured or gets belted around. On other days, he will pick 6 wickets for 150-180 runs after the opposition has made 550. In between those 60 tests, are his performances like today, lord's and that famous Australian tour where he was touted as the next Curtly Ambrose. Not to mention, his attitude leaves plenty to be desired on the field. (Read Sanjay Manjerekar.. It doesn't matter how you conduct yourself off the field. Kids don't watch that live)

More than anything, the Sharma's provide an air of confidence to the opposition. If I see a green top with Steyn charging in, you can actually see me cringe when R Sharma is batting. I know the result. Similarly, I know the result when I see an AB de Villiers type facing I Sharma. I know he's going to get pasted and that makes me smile, for obvious reasons. In short, Rohit should not have been playing test matches ahead of Pujara while Ishant should have not been playing cricket since 20-30 test matches ago. Our selectors clearly seem to have some kind of favoritism towards certain chaps.

grkrama

National Board President
It is funny how people are glorifying Pujara after one hundred.

Im pretty sure he was glorified before too, especially he is always ahead of rohit.

That was probably the best century of this year in test cricket so far along with younis's one in the chase though it was relatively better batting circumstances.

Rohit is by far the choice for limited overs.

Not really, he is probably has a better number there, but i see him as a crutch there too, except for the very few matches, against mediocre attacks he hits , he is a liability and eats ball like anything and putting pressure on dhawan.

The one ODI innings i value of him is the ban WC QF century everything else was just soso, the problem with him is he puts the team at a great disadvantage in odi's in the matches he doesnt perform.

I would actually try jinx, vijay or pujara as opener in odi's who have better rotation capability with ability to hit when required especially, jinx and vijay, pujara can do a amla to go with the fire power of dhawan. Having a proper opener will actually get us more out of dhawan in odis.

Pujara has the best List A record of all the above, would be surprised if he cant convert it here.

I mean he need to get atleast 30% of the chance rohit got before he scored a 80 odd runs in one match and the openers slot was etched with his name.

only format i believe rohit can actually claim a place would be t20s.

Im not denying rohit has potential, great looking shots and timing, but he hasn't in 8 years which means he has some problem which is not being identified and rectified, the key to clearing a problem is first accepting you have one, kohli accepted he had one after ENG and is working on it to an extent, pujara did went to county and has got some form together.

With rohit he is in plain denial, just read his recent interview. The worse thing is the ones who are keeping him in the team are the ones doing him the most damage.

Not to mention, his attitude leaves plenty to be desired on the field. (Read Sanjay Manjerekar.. It doesn't matter how you conduct yourself off the field. Kids don't watch that live)

lol i was more embarrassed than anything seeing his head banging, i don't mind bowlers showing aggression after getting a wicket, but couldn't he have made something cool like lee fist bump or something. But then being Ishy shouldn't have had high expectations for him to do something cool.

Last edited:

PokerAce

Banned
11904636_10153121930255963_7958910425120244994_n.jpg

PokerAce

Banned
When the hell did Ishant suddenly turn into Srinath. I think Zaheer after Kapil Dev is the best seamer India has produced, but third would definitely be Srinath. Srinath was lethal in the sub-continent as his avg of 26 suggests. Ishant is suddenly a different bowler here. Beating the bat, producing wickets. Is this the series where Ishant finally comes of age.

PokerAce

Banned
That one clearly off the arm guard. On a related note, correct me if I am wrong on this, but if the arm guard is touching the gloves, then is it not considered an extension of the gloves? Or have I gone mad :P

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
That one clearly off the arm guard. On a related note, correct me if I am wrong on this, but if the arm guard is touching the gloves, then is it not considered an extension of the gloves? Or have I gone mad :P

If the arm guard touches the gloves, it is considered as an extension.

PokerAce

Banned
I think India overdoing the seamer thing, surely Ashwin and Mishra should have gotten a spell by now. Its a 5th day pitch afterall.

Users who are viewing this thread