Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

WOAH! Now Colly's apparently stepped down as ODI skipper and KP is gonna lead on both fronts. Just said it on SSN.

One of the worst move,I have seen in English Cricket.It has to do nothing with ODI cricket and Why the hell Colly is stepping down?
Imagine Pieterson leading England in both form!!If,I was Pieterson then I never would have taken this.
It will destroy a great Batsman.

Look what Ponting's acchieved since his become captain. He was just a mere ordinary batsman averaging in the mid 40's but soon went onto become one of the greatest batsman of all time.

Giving the captaincy to a middle-order batsman is a much more logical and smarter choice then giving it to an opening batsman, bowler, allrounder or wicketkeeper.

Horrible decission according to me, This captaincy burden will put much pressure on KP form right now in both form of games. It was really strange to find out Colly step from captaincy too. England need a player like Ponting or Smith who can lead in two verison of games. Really KP is neighter of these two. I hope KP don't loose his form after making this suicidal jump.

Look what Ponting's acchieved since his become captain. He was just a mere ordinary batsman averaging in the mid 40's but soon went onto become one of the greatest batsman of all time.

Giving the captaincy to a middle-order batsman is a much more logical and smarter choice then giving it to an opening batsman, bowler, allrounder or wicketkeeper.

And If I find you someone like Smith,then?
Anyway Ben it is not necessary to compare all the cricket with Australian Cricket.
When Ponting got his captaincy,Definitely Australia was not struggling like England.
There is a transient zone in English cricket where We are searching right combination in Bowling,Proper wicket keeper and mainly a top order batsman who can scored on regular basis for England.
I don't have problem that KP will lead England.I knew that one day this going to be happen but this has came so early.Team is not in right shape.
And now KP will handle all these pressure and ruin his batting career.
There must be a right time for everything to happen and this just is not a right time for KP to be a captain.

And If I find you someone like Smith,then?
Smith went through a 2 year period where he didn't score a test century.

I think all of you are overeacting. The kinda player Kevin Pietersen is, this will give him more of an incentive to play better because as his record shows, he makes all of his runs against the best bowling in the world.

Colly's gone aswell looks like Pietersen for both cause they have hinted they want one captain and the only other player who could take the captaincy of the Test matches would be Strauss but he doesn't play ODI matches for England

A touching speech from Vaughan, i wish him all the best and hope that one day he will find his form and earn his place back in the team.

In the meantime now is a chance to give the Key's, Denly's, Shah's and Bopara's of this world a chance in the test side.

In my opinion it has to be either Shah or Bopara, Denly's time will come but not quite yet and I don't see the selectors going for Key as I think they'll want to look for younger players.

Same captain in both formats is a good idea. I'm glad Collingwood stepped down from it. He should have done it straight after the incident however.

I feel bad for Vaughan. He's a good guy and i'd suggest he was getting dropped anyway so they let him do it himself.

Last edited:
Same captain in both formats is a good idea. I'm glad Collingwood stepped down from it. He should have done it straight after the incident however.
The 'incident' was in the rule book. Noting untoward.

skater added 0 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Why do English players always have poor first-class records? They supposedly play in a weaker competition?
The County Championship is now as close to the quality of the Sheffield Sheild as it has ever been.

It is undoubtedly the right decision for Vaughan to go - his time is up, and now a fresh face can take it up for the Ashes next year. Who that face will be, I don't know. If Pietersen can pull it off then it will be great - it could, however, be a disaster! I am worried about the amount of time left until the next Ashes series - only a couple of winter series. It's really hard to win on the subcontinent, leaving just the West Indies to really prepared for the Ashes, not a long time for a new captain to make his mark.

I do feel sorry for Collingwood. He hardly put a foot wrong, and he was obviously asked to go - once again split captaincy was just a stop-gap.

I've just realised that this is in the middle of back-to-back tests - really leaving the new leader in the lurch, something that Vaughan didn't like and condemned in his book when Hussain did it to him. Let's wait and see what happens, though it will be very interesting!

It is undoubtedly the right decision for Vaughan to go - his time is up, and now a fresh face can take it up for the Ashes next year. Who that face will be, I don't know. If Pietersen can pull it off then it will be great - it could, however, be a disaster! I am worried about the amount of time left until the next Ashes series - only a couple of winter series. It's really hard to win on the subcontinent, leaving just the West Indies to really prepared for the Ashes, not a long time for a new captain to make his mark.
We do have a 2 Test series against Sri Lanka at home before the Ashes.

Why do English players always have poor first-class records? They supposedly play in a weaker competition?

Central contracts I guess, Fletcher brought them into the team with the idea that they could become great, they struggled at first but he made the players improve tenfold and improved the team as a whole.

Btw Bradman averaged 4 less in first class :p

Users who are viewing this thread