Kevin Pietersen - New England Captain (Vaughan and Collingwood resign)

We do have a 2 Test series against Sri Lanka at home before the Ashes.

The problem is it will be a very weakened team that England face as they are allowing there players to play in the IPL rather than that series.

Vaughan quitting is the wrong decision in my opinion. If he'd have said, look i'm gunna take a break, have a good opening season for Yorkshire and re-assess for the Ashes, in my opinion it would have been better. Vaughan is English 110% and to be emotional like that isn't play acting! He's a great man, unfortunate to be in a rut of form. We've said things about his batting but never about his captaincy, or about his personal attributes. He's a great man!

Collingwood quitting really isn't big, as he's done nothing to warrent abuse, or congratulations.

Hopefully KP get a run, but i can see it being Strauss.

Think about it,there isnt anyone who is real captain material in the English squad as of now.The frontrunner for the job is obviously KP,but they could even give it to Cook,if they want a younger guy.

My squad would now look like,

Strauss,
Cook,
Shah,
KP (C)
Bopara,
Bell,
Flintoff,
Read,
Sidebottom,
Anderson/Broad,
Panesar.

In this next test it'd have to be Anderson, but i'd like to see Broad back in, if we want 4 frontliners bowling, the remove Ravi, and get in Broady.

Funny how evo has been spamming these forums for months about how Vaughan won't quit...

Anyway, he had to go. You just can't play an inconsistent batsman at #3.

I think Flintoff said he wouldn't want to captain England in any form of the game again.

Flintoff did indeed say he'd not like to captain again. He also did say that maybe if he gets back into the side as he was in hte '05 Ashes then he'd maybe re-think it but currently he's working on his batting and bowling. But, i think he should just have a week of batting in the nets, his bowling is fantastic.

Ok, Im going to go straight to the point, and this isnt a very positive one, but Im glad Vaughan has gone as captain.

Some mighty call me a idiot for this comment, but, here are my reason's why.

Even though he won us the ashes, that has really been the only positive point, losses against Sri Lanka and South Africa, put my mind to doubt, I just don't think he good enough to be captain any more.

All the blame isnt going to Vaughan though, I admit, he does have talent, however, he has failed too many times. I think maybe a few more big performances and my mind would have been swung. I am also sending some of the comments to the England selectors, they didn't give Vaughan the best players to fufill his captaincy potential. And, I don't think that is fair on Vaughan.

But, I just think that Vaughan has done well to step down now, to save himself from embarrasment in the Ashes next year, as a lose looks certain at this point in time.

My squad would be as follows for test matches

Cook
Key (captain)
Denly
Pietersen
Strauss
Bell
Flintoff
Prior
Harmison
Jones
Panesar

Decent bowling options, and a strong batting line up. :cool:

Some mighty call me a idiot for this comment, but, here are my reason's why.

You're an Idiot ;)

If you look at how england have performed under Michael Vaughan I would say they have done very well. I feel that some people just think England should be doing better than we are on the back of a few successes the last of which was the 2005 Ashes. I feel its just the same as when we won the Rugby World Cup after people have been slating the team for not living up to their successes but it is a nearly completely different team.

My squad would be as follows for test matches

Cook
Key (captain)
Denly
Pietersen
Strauss
Bell
Flintoff
Prior
Harmison
Jones
Panesar

Decent bowling options, and a strong batting line up. :cool:

Now that is a good squad, but I would move Key to 3rd and have Paul Horton opening with Cook. No one would get his wicket without a hard fight.

Mine would be
Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Anderson
Harmison or Jones, If a bouncier wicket then Harmison, if not Jones
Sidebottom
Panesar

I don't remember who it was who said Collingwood had nothing to deserve any adulation during his time as ODI captain but whoever it was that was extremely harsh. He led to us to series victories over India at home and a fantastic victory over Sri Lanka in their own backyard. Those kind of victories were almost unheard of before he took over so I think we also have to congratulate Paul Collingwood for his brief time as captain.

evertonfan added 2 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Paul Horton won't be playing at the Oval.

And if any bowler needs to be dropped then it's Sidebottom. He's clearly still struggling with his back. I think i've already mentioned my squad but just in case, here it is;

Key
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Flintoff
Ambrose
Anderson
Harmison
Jones

Users who are viewing this thread