March 11 - Bangladesh vs England

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
He has a fantastic batting record as captain, but his captaincy is not great. I said against South Africa that England has a record of being in a strong position and letting the late order win it for the oppostion, I was ONE game too early.

I'll discuss England's "chances" now in the group thread

Varun

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Ashes, World Cup, Ashes, World Cup - Why can't you guys just like good cricket?

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
Exceptional show by tail enders. Never expected from Shafiul after 8 wickets down. Simply bad bowling and bad captaincy from England after 40 overs. Jimmy Anderson was helpless, missed his buddy BROAD a lot.

Now group B competition is wide open, for Bangladesh too. :thumbs

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
I realise its sounds like I'm just saying it because England have been poor but I really don't care for the World Cup. I've only watched one match of it so far and then only because I wanted Ireland to beat England for money.

Ashes > Any Test Series > World Cup > Any 50 over series > Hit and Giggle cricket

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
10% of his match fee I read.

don't think it will be anything more. I didn't think he'd get banned or anything but quite lenient given how he was going on.

Owzat

International Coach
I'm thinking the only way England is going to make any progress is if they go with :

Strauss
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bopara
Prior (wk)
Swann
Bresnan
Tredwell
Shahzad
Tremlett

Give Swann a bash at #7, the crux position that could restore some balance to the side instead of hoping Collingwood, Bopara and other part-timers will "do a job" when in fact all they do is concede a few runs with not a lot of threat and when we need the wickets that can be costly (missing a proper fifth bowler)

Swann

WC 2011 : 4 inns, 52 runs @ 26.00

15no off 9 balls vs IND
9no off 5 balls vs IRE
16 off 20 balls vs SAF
12 off 8 balls vs BAN

In terms of batting position over his career :

7 : 1 inns, 12 runs @ 12.00
8 : 10 inns, 159 runs @ 17.67
9 : 19 inns, 174 runs @ 11.60
10 : 2 inns, 6 runs @ 6.00

Worth a try, if he comes in late then it is no different to batting down the order at 8-10, if he comes in early (before the late slog) then it gives him a chance to play a more constructed innings.

He averages 24.70 in Tests with an SR of 82.42, not quite the same pressure to score runs quickly but he has done so regardless including 85 off 81 balls against South Africa, and 47no off 40 balls, 36no off 26 balls, and 63 off 55 balls against Australia. He's also scored a couple of other 50s, slightly slower, but shows he can play steadier/longer innings when needed.

WC 2011 : 9 wkts @ 23.56 (SR 32.67, ER 4.33)

2/35 vs HOL
1/59 vs IND
3/47 vs IRE
1/29 vs SAF
2/42 vs BAN

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread