New Zealand in South Africa

It will be interisting to see how well Shane Bond, D. Vettori, and Paul Harris will do.

The warm up is already over. A poor pitch, 20 wickets fallen already. It's a good sign in a way for us, because we'll be more used to it then SA, plus I believe we have a better pace attack overall.

I would like to see the same side for the next warm up with Mason swapping for O'Brien or Gillespie. Mason didn't seem to have great results. Papps and Taylor had really bad performances. They have the skills, it'll just be getting the head to use them now.

Wow that match was over quickly!
Our batting was pretty shocking apart from Vettori and Cumming but thankfully our bowlers spared us some embrrasment.

Second tour match is in SA-A's control so far. 350-4 after the first day. I like the team we have playing though. With Vincent and O'Brien in. Martin has been the main loose cannon which is a shame. Seems to be a lot flatter then the last one by the score. Maybe it's just been bad bowling though. Oram continues to be the bowler they're having the most problems with.

Fleming is of course out of this match with a dislocated thumb. Let's hope he's all good for the first test. He's our best batsman.

Last edited:
Get in! This starts next Thursday. Delighted that Sky have got the rights to show this; Always love watching New Zealand against South Africa. I find it hard to look past South Africa as winners, but there's an overriding feeling in me that New Zealand are gonna pull off a victory.

One has to bear in mind the fact that South Africa have been involved in a recent Test series whereas if my memory serves me correctly, New Zealand haven't even played a Test match this calender year. They haven't played since the tow Test home series against Sri Lanka right

Whatever, come on New Zealand!

:)

The live updates for the second warm-up is on now. I noticed a lot of edges were going through vacant areas or else falling short for the slips and gully. I'm not sure why that is, but hope they sort it out. When you bowl first against second teir opposition, you shouldn't be in this position. A bit of a worry.

..What an embarrassment. We spend that long in the field and only get 192. Yet again, saved by Daniel Vettori. Send the team home now, we don't have a show, spare us further embarrassment. The ICC may as well just take us away from plying test matches, we play hardly any as it is.

Actually upon second thought, maybe the batsman were up against soe good bowling. It says it was swinging sharply etc. Lots of bowleds. In that case, why did or bowling go so wrong. Bond Martin and OBrien were shocking.

-

Chris Martin 0 - 3. Nice start for him. At the other end Bond is leaking runs. Pretty disappointed in him actually. Though he does tend to hold back a bit in warm-ups.

Last edited:
Franklin is out :(

He's a player who is starting to become a key part of the team. Since he's developing into an all-rounder. Very sad. I hope he recovers well. Hes out for 4-6 months.

Knee problem again.

Anyway, it's all action tomorrow. Sri Lanka vs Aussies first up in the day time, then Kiwis vs SA at night. Brilliant. Can sit back now my exams are done with and watch cricket all day. My eleven:

Cumming
Papps
Fleming
Styris
Taylor
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Bond
Mason
Martin

I think Mason is a better pick over OBrien based on the warmups. Although neither impressed much. I'd rather Gillespie got a run myself. I think Mason has the experience and bowled well against Sri Lanka in the last tests we played. No matter what the result is, i'd like to see the same eleven used for a second test as well.

If Papps and Cumming can put on an opening stand, we should be sweet. It's just the top order batting and openers more specifically which are the main problem. To be honest and to maybe put my head on the chopping block, I think if South Africa don't use Pollock, their opening bowlers may not be so effective. I don't believe Ntini will be threatening, we've played him before and thse days, he doesn't reach the same speeds. Steyn will be a threat, but I think he'd be better with Pollock at he other end.

Last edited:
I'm surprised that Gillespie missed out tbh. I think he's done very well for New Zealand of late. Is it Ross Taylor's test debut btw? Or as he already played? Either way, he's boss. Hope he can get a nice fat juicy 100.

Yep, his debut.

Here goes the 12 we are taking in.

New Zealand: Michael Papps, Craig Cumming, Stephen Fleming, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Jacob Oram, Brendon McCullum, Daniel Vettori (captain), Shane Bond, Iain O'Brien, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel (one to be omitted).

Obviously, OBrien made it ahead of Mason. I doubt Patel will play in any circumstance. Seems like a seamers wicket from passed games and the current situation.

Unbelievable. Kallis dropped twice. I can already tell, we're going to pay for this. I think we kinda have to take those to win test matches.

Not living up to our 'one of the best fielding sides' tag at the moment. Then again, it was the inexperienced players who shelled them.

Thank god, OBrien gets him first ball of the session. McCullum shows some top keeping, diving the other way for the inside edge.

Last edited:
kallis disapointing getting out by O'Brien
Shane Bond is bowling amazing , fast pace good swing good line and lenght

That crowd looked crazy, all 25 of them were having a great time I imagine.

Anyways, Cumming and Papps, worst Opening combination in a Test Match ever?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread