New Zealand in South Africa

That crowd looked crazy, all 25 of them were having a great time I imagine.

Anyways, Cumming and Papps, worse Opening combination in a Test Match ever?

lol that would be a nice record to look up actually. They are definatly the worst combo in world cricket today.

Anyways, Cumming and Papps, worst Opening combination in a Test Match ever?

Maybe the worst in the world at the moment. That's a harsh call. They got good balls. They just need experience. We need to stick to a pair and keep them, otherwise we'll never have a settled opening pair. Those two are our best two we have here at the moment. We're a little short stocked. They need to be tried all summer really, a bit mean to judge them on this innings only. Papps has an amazing record in domestic cricket, i'm not sure he likes bouncy pitches. I think he'd be great anywhere but Australia and South Africa. He has to learn somehow.

Overall, i'm thrilled with the day. It's a real shame Cumming got out near the end, but otherwise, good stuff. Bond was bowling near his best, Martin kept his good record against SA going and Vettori was really tight and gave SA nothing. Great bowling. Send a tape over to poor old Sri Lanka. We are in need of the Aussies top order batting tutorial in return though.

Last edited:
South Africa back on top cause kallis steyn ntini got a couple of breakthroughs and need to get rid of vettori then we are in to the tail.

This game is starting to look like a bowling game both sides bowling well, both batting poor.

Our batting is unfortunately always poor. Our bowling is above average international standard, our batting is about Bangladesh standard. Sadly, we have no one brilliant up and coming at the moment either.

As soon as Fleming got out, I knew we'd be in trouble. I think the main problem is our batters don't get a chance to develop. They end up playing ODI cricket all year and through the domestic season and we never play many tests.

Key batters like Richardson, Cairns and Astle never ended up getting replaced. Without Fleming, we'd be pretty bad.

After watching the Aussies bat all day, the difference is, we have zero confidence and we seem to just kinda sit back and let them bowl at us. Apart from Fleming, no one attacked. The bowling has been good, and in conditions like this, I believe players who play positively will do better. You're going to get out eventually, so make runs while you can. We're good at batting in ODIs, so bat more like that. With intent.

Last edited:
Knew this would happen, us boys just poo all over bad batsman on our pitches.

I'm used to watching the Australians play I think, the Kiwi batsman looked so below par it wasn't funny. They weren't moving their feet, and weren't capitalizing on the loose balls.

Yes, the south african bowling was good, but really I've seen better and the dissmissals have been largely due to the lack of any real technique. Oram and Fleming looked like they were hitting slip catches. Aren't you taught at a young age to play the line of the ball and if the ball deviates not to try and prod at it? Although, even Tendulkar did do a similar thing on 99 yesterday :p Styris was trying to back foot drive a ball that wasn't quite there with the lack of any real foot movement and Taylors dismissal was just silly.

And what the hell is the go with the kiwi batsman messing their pants as soon as a short ball is bowled. C'mon boys, show some ticker.

Really really poor from New Zealand.

Vettoris gone.

Last edited:
Yeah, the big scoring games and even bounce make you forget that sometimes, 200 is a lot of runs.

Our batting is unfortunately always poor. Our bowling is above average international standard, our batting is about Bangladesh standard. Sadly, we have no one brilliant up and coming at the moment either.

As soon as Fleming got out, I knew we'd be in trouble. I think the main problem is our batters don't get a chance to develop. They end up playing ODI cricket all year and through the domestic season and we never play many tests.

Key batters like Richardson, Cairns and Astle never ended up getting replaced. Without Fleming, we'd be pretty bad.

After watching the Aussies bat all day, the difference is, we have zero confidence and we seem to just kinda sit back and let them bowl at us. Apart from Fleming, no one attacked. The bowling has been good, and in conditions like this, I believe players who play positively will do better. You're going to get out eventually, so make runs while you can. We're good at batting in ODIs, so bat more like that. With intent.

The reason for no confidence may be because of lack of cricket.
New Zealand only played T20 after the World Cup in the Carribean.

I think Nz is also going through the phase wherein the major players are retiring suddenly.It will take them some time to come out of this.
But,i believe that Ross Taylor has the makings of a very good Test batsman.

1-0 South Africa. This game is gone. No chance of winning this anymore. 3 days of heavy rain might save us....pretty sad. We deserve to lose, maybe this can be a wake up call.

South Africa batted well up until the close of play.
Poor batting performance by New Zealand when the conditions weren't as bad as yesterday.
New Zealand need to bowl out of their skin here.

Knew this would happen, us boys just poo all over bad batsman on our pitches.

And our bowlers pooed all over your boys as well. Generally bowler friendly conditions onthe first and early on the second day help that.

I'm used to watching the Australians play I think, the Kiwi batsman looked so below par it wasn't funny. They weren't moving their feet, and weren't capitalizing on the loose balls.

Yes, the south african bowling was good, but really I've seen better and the dissmissals have been largely due to the lack of any real technique. Oram and Fleming looked like they were hitting slip catches. Aren't you taught at a young age to play the line of the ball and if the ball deviates not to try and prod at it? Although, even Tendulkar did do a similar thing on 99 yesterday :p Styris was trying to back foot drive a ball that wasn't quite there with the lack of any real foot movement and Taylors dismissal was just silly.

South Africa did better, but not by a heck of a lot in the first innings. We'll do better in the last innings, but the lead will be too big. So before you go with the put downs for our team, I hope you are less then proud of your own batsmens showing. However, credit to our bowlers, who I believe bowled just as well as SA. The problem was our batters played even worse.

And what the hell is the go with the kiwi batsman messing their pants as soon as a short ball is bowled. C'mon boys, show some ticker.

That's one criticism, apart from OBrien, everyone was playing too defensively. We need to actually hit th short balls and play with aggression and intent. It's our style. This stick around stuff isn't our style. Apart from Fleming, none of our batsmen are top class and can stay in for long amounts of time. Their skills are in being big hitters and aggressive.

We can still save ourselves massive embarrassment, but not the game.

Last edited:
Amla reaches century.. Kallis and Amla seem to be in total control now..

Yeah, it's a great pitch now. Had we survived a bit longer we could have taken advantage. Batting 41 overs is a disgrace.

Amla reached century before Kallis.. but now Kallis has got 150 while Amla is still on 108.. Kallis seem to be getting more and more confident now..

Amla is becoming a good batsman, did good against Pakistan and now against NZ. doest get any easier for NZ with Bond going home.

Users who are viewing this thread