ENG....
SRH...
QG
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
@Yash. you okay dude? Not the first time you've missed a deadline. Wanna make sure IRL you're okay
Nothing serious bro. Just a little pressed about some deadlines in college. I’ll make my picks today.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Jemimah Rodriguez completes my team.

1. :aus: :wk: Alyssa Healy
  2. :ind: :bat: Smriti Mandhana
  3. :aus: :bat: Alex Blackwell
  4. :nzf: :ar: Amy Satterthwaite
  5. :eng: :ar: Natalie Sciver
  6. :ind: :bat: Jemimah Rodriguez
  7. :pak: :ar: Sana Mir
  8. :saf: :ar: Marizane Kapp
  9. :aus: :ar: Rene Farrell
  10. :ind: :bwl: Radha Yadav
  11. :ind: :bwl: Poonam Yadav

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@mohsin7827 no consecutive country picks. Choose anyone you want, once they haven't played for the same country as your previous pick.

@Yash. that's 4 Indian picks for you. No more than 3 players from any one country. It's the final round guys, let's stick to the rules...

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
It would be extremely easy to say that it's the final round and anything goes, but everyone signed up knowing the rules. Let's keep them, huh guys? @Aislabie has an invalid pick for back-to-back English ladies. @Yash. has an invalid pick for going over the 3-per-country limit (I can't accept the last pick, but if you're unavailable I'll pick for you). @mohsin7827 you can pick anyone, once they aren't Indian. You've got 10 teams in the last women's World T20...surely you can look outside of India.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
. @Yash. has an invalid pick for going over the 3-per-country limit (I can't accept the last pick, but if you're unavailable I'll pick for you
No worries mate. I’ll just post the correct pick in a moment

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Kathryn Bryce comes in for Jemimah Rodriguez.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Okay, so first I'll replace my invalid pick:

1611935361331.png

:aus: :bwl: Kristen Beams

T20I stats
- 20 wickets @ 16.60 (econ. 5.26, best 3/11) in 18 matches

Just a really good leg-spinner, as well as someone who'll absolutely give 100% in the field. It was a toss-up between Beams and Jess Jonassen, but ultimately I thought I'd go for a leg-spinner. I'm fully aware that this is turning into an all-spin attack, but there's a strong case for that in T20 cricket at all levels - batting is harder work when you have to put all the pace on the ball yourself.

and now for my round 11 pick...

1611935529665.png

:eng: :bwl: Holly Colvin

T20I stats
- 63 wickets @ 15.41 (econ. 5.19, best 4/9) in 50 matches

Just a really good left-arm spinner really. So good that she turned up as a 15-year-old net bowler and got picked to play for England the next day - the youngest cricketer ever chosen to represent England. She also retired very young, taking on a role working to combat HIV in Africa, and was shortly recruited by the ICC. One of the few good decisions they made in that era.

Therefore, my XI is:

1. :ind: :bat: Shafali Verma (hitter)
2. :saf: :bat: Lizelle Lee (hitter)
3. :eng: :wk: Sarah Taylor (accumulator, wicket-keeper)
4. :aus: :ar: Ash Gardner (hitter, sixth bowler)
5. :eng: :bat: Danni Wyatt (hitter)
6. :saf: :bat: Chloe Tryon (hitter)
7. :nzf: :ar: Melie Kerr (finisher, spinner)
8. :pak: :ar: Nida Dar (spinner, pinch hitter)
9. :wi: :bwl: Shanel Daley (spinner)
10. :eng: :bwl: Holly Colvin (spinner)
11. :aus: :bwl: Kristen Beams (spinner)

Yes, I've picked a team with six, possibly seven (if Danni Wyatt gets a bowl) spinners. Eight if Chloe Tryon gets a bowl. That's deliberate - spinners are just objectively better in T20 cricket, and while it might be desirable to have a pace-on option, there's just no point unless they're Marizanne Kapp level good.

@qpeedore

mohsin7827

International Cricketer
India
CSK
Birmingham Phoenix
X Rebels
@mohsin7827 XI:
01. :aus: :wkb: Beth Mooney
02. :nz: :ar: Sophie Devine
03. :wi: :bat: Deandra Dottin
04. :eng: :bat: Heather Knight
05. :saf: :bat: Laura Wolvaardt
06. :ind: :ar: Deepti Sharma
07. :sco: :wkb: Sarah Bryce
08. :aus: :ar: Jess Jonassen
09. :eng: :bwl: Katherine Brunt
10. :eng: :bwl: Sarah Glenn
11. :saf: :bwl: Shabnim Ismail

3 English, 2 Australian, 2 South African and 1 each from New Zealand, India, Scotland and West Indies forms my Heather Knight led team.
I have listed them for their primary skill or skill for which they have been chosen but this team contains players who can bat till 10 and 8 bowling options.
At the top are a experience and young opening combination with Devine come as third seam bowler.
Then there are 5 players who can switch between batting order depending on match situation, of whom some might be good at finishing.
There is all spin options to cover between three different style spinner
Lastly two of the most experienced seam bowler to give good start of defend the target

@qpeedore would love to have a missing XI from you if you like as it seems there is a possibility.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Right, that's everyone besides me for the final pick in the Draft? Everyone has legitimate picks now, and for some reason my maths don't add up in the index. I'm up a player, but I'll try to see where the mistake was made on my part when I'm both away from caffeine without coffee and have actually gotten more than 6 hours of sleep undisturbed.

I'll finish up my XI with Nicola Browne from the Kiwis. Like I mentioned earlier on in this thread, and @Aislabie hinted to, genuine pace bowlers in the Women's game are really hard done by. Spinners dominate by a large fraction. But what Browne had going for her was height - at 180cm (rather high for a woman) she was by far one of the tallest players on the field in any game she played. That height alone led to awkward bounce that got batters into all sorts of difficulties. Then you can add the raw pace - by most reports she's a genuine fast bowler. More of a handy player with the bat rather than an out-and-out batter, she's still able to score valuable runs in the lower order. A quickfire 15 or 20 runs, like I've said, can make the difference between an average score and a winning one. So I'm glad that I'm able to have her to complete my XI.

1. Mithali Raj :ind:
2. Stafanie Taylor :wi:
3. Karen Rolton :aus:
4. Dane van Niekerk :saf:
5. Katey Martin :nz:
6. Sune Luus :saf:
7. Georgia Wareham :aus:
8. Jenny Gunn :eng:
9. Nicola Browne :nz:
10. Nahida Akter :ban:
11. Megan Schutt :aus:

Thanks to everyone for participating in the Draft and thanks for all the opinions and ideas. This is the first Draft that has featured women as far as I know, and I think we've done a pretty decent first effort at it. Hopefully there will be more Drafts with women in the future.

A special thanks to @ahmedleo414 for monitoring things and tagging people when it was their time. @Yash. for updating the index when real life got in the way, even though his own real life started to push its weight near the end. @Aislabie for just being him and using the VARP when he could. @mohsin7827 for this being, I believe, one of his first Drafts. Hope to hear more from you in the future dude.

I'll finish updating the index, give my analysis on everyone's team, and hopefully pick a best-of-the-rest (there are quite a few players who have been overlooked) over the next couple of days. Thanks again everyone, this was my first Draft that I've run, and it was pretty damn memorable.

Last edited:

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
What I can mention before I do my updating, is that it's pretty clear where most of the best players come from - the Aussies and English absolutely dominate the picks. India and South Africa come next, which is sort of understandable given their relative positions in the rankings. West Indies are there or thereabouts, and most of their star players were selected. Didn't expect Bangladesh and Sri Lanka to get the single pick each though, I did think that they might have been more represented. Also think that New Zealand was a bit under-represented, they don't just revolve around Bates and Devine, they've got a pretty good squad at the moment and historically. Pakistan...eh, probably about right for just the two picks. Politics against women in that country are hard to get around. I'm very surprised that no Thai players got picked. Their batters aren't spectacular by any means, but their bowlers are...really special. I think everyone missed a trick there, myself included. Would also have expected one or two picks from the other countries - the Scots have a couple of upcoming talents, Germany actually has a team comparable to Thailand in certain aspects...I'd like to see the women's game be pushed further in the upcoming years. A ton of young ladies have been playing alongside the guys at age-group levels, simply because there aren't any female leagues. And they regularly do better than their testosterone-filled counterparts, too.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Would love to see some analysis of this first women draft. @Aislabie if you have the time? Or anyone else?

Users who are viewing this thread