Pakistan vs England Jul-Aug-Sep 2010

Ollie_H

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pakistan could make 500...

Butt 150, Farhat 60, Azhar 80, Amin 60, Akmal 100, Malik 20, K Akmal 20, rest of tail put up 10 runs.

Done.

Love thinking like that :p. Used to do it when I was like 13/14 on ICC. Always broke down huge scores by needing like 30 with each partnership.

P

pcfan123

Pakistan could make 500...

Butt 150, Farhat 60, Azhar 80, Amin 60, Akmal 100, Malik 20, K Akmal 20, rest of tail put up 10 runs.

Done.

Yea just like Afridi will be a successful Test captain :p

Love thinking like that :p. Used to do it when I was like 13/14 on ICC. Always broke down huge scores by needing like 30 with each partnership.

Unfortunately for Pakistan, this is not a video game. I can't see their batsman batting longer than 4 sessions.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
I'm really excited for this series now that we have finally won a test match.

England have been playing very well lately, but one good thing for Pakistan is that they don't have that mental block against England like they do against Australia, so I'm hoping to see better performance than expected.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Yea just like Afridi will be a successful Test captain :p

Unfortunately for Pakistan, this is not a video game. I can't see their batsman batting longer than 4 sessions.
Luckily, if we even bat 3.5 sessions, we should win the game with our bowling.

In that sense, we are blessed to have undeniably a world class bowling line up.

But the batting... meh. I think they'll score more runs against England than they did in Australia just because it's not Australia.

ali_ed2001

Club Cricketer
Luckily, if we even bat 3.5 sessions, we should win the game with our bowling.

In that sense, we are blessed to have undeniably a world class bowling line up.

But the batting... meh. I think they'll score more runs against England than they did in Australia just because it's not Australia.

Don't worry we'll do good! We have been playing in these type of conditions for the last year or so, so we can only get better from here with the bat.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
You can't expect too much from the last series. Coming from two old-fashioned matches in excellent bowling conditions, surely there will thus be four terribly flat pitches and 20 searing hot days of cricket. Of course, that could bring reverse swing into it...

The beauty of the Pakistan pacemen is that they are not wasteful. Even with better, brighter batting conditions, I think you can expect England to bowl shorter more often and probably also be less inclined to show a little ingenuity. Maybe their fielding brings them even or possibly a little better.

The trouble is whether that will be enough for the Pakistan batsmen. I think they're showing a lot of good signs, in spite of the lack of star-power (which seems to tear the team apart anyway). There might be quandaries about Umar Amin, but Azhar Ali looked like a top order player. Their top order does seem to be coming together. Even if it's not super talented, they are batting with composure and patience; sometimes a 50 under pressure is worth more than 300.

However, if Pakistan have a serviceable top order, then England's is much more so. Down the order, it could be a bit more of a free for all from both sides. Never mind your Akmals when you have Kevin Pietersen. There's also Morgan and Prior for good measure. We could be privy to some very strange cricket.

Don't forget spin, either. I think Swann will be on top, regardless of who bowls for Pakistan. Kaneria is used very defensively by Pakistan and I doubt Ajmal would be put in a better context. More importantly, the batsmen are very loose against spin.

Owzat

International Coach
Surprised Ravi didn't even make the 12 but I guess it makes sense that Shahzad's retained in the squad. Liking the bowling attack too, Finn, Anderson and Broad should be very handy if conditions are similar to those seen in the Aus-Pak series. Nice to see they've ditched Bresnan also, he was never good enough for Test cricket.

Agree 100000000000% on Bresnan, my biggest worries in the squad are Morgan (good enough?) and Anderson (consistency) Bopara is maybe left out because the selectors want to show consistency in selecting Morgan, not that they show consistency from one series to the next with ODIs and T20s thrown in the mix. They could easily have picked a XIII

Strauss - 5622 runs @ 43.92
Cook - 4197 runs @ 44.18
Trott - 751 runs @ 50.07
Pietersen - 5166 runs @ 49.20
Collingwood - 4057 runs @ 43.62 & 15 wkts @ 61.33
Morgan - 81 runs @ 41.50
Prior - 1662 runs @ 40.54
Swann - 605 runs @ 30.25 & 91 wkts @ 30.02
Broad - 846 runs @ 25.64 & 83 wkts @ 36.16
Shazhad - 5 runs @ 5.00 & 8 wkts @ 15.75
Anderson - 483 runs @ 14.21 & 165 wkts @ 34.27
Finn - 3 runs @ 3.00 & 19 wkts @ 23.42

Bopara - 502 runs @ 33.47
Bresnan - 125 runs @ 41.67 & 14 wkts @ 35.14

I'd say from the XII selected a bowler is likely to be left out without Bresnan in the squad, otherwise you could have a tail of Prior, Swann, Broad, Shazhad, Anderson, Finn which Pakistan could mop up very quickly. I've thrown in Bopara and Bresnan for comparison, I'm unconvinced by Morgan while Anderson and Broad need to show greater consistency with the ball as both have very disappointing averages with the ball for their respective abilities.

Bear in mind those stats include Finn and Shazhad who've only bowled against Bangladesh, Bresnan has only ever played against Bangladesh and West Indies while Bopara's breakdown is below :

Bopara vs

Australia : 105 runs @ 15.00
Sri Lanka : 42 runs @ 8.40
West Indies : 355 runs @ 118.33

So his Test average is sustained by three 100s vs West Indies, he has a HS of just 35 against Australia and Sri Lanka from SEVEN Tests (12 innings) I don't think the "Test recall" was as imminent and expected as the media make it sound, his Test career may only be 10 Tests old, but lacks substance thus far so no matter how many county runs he scores or headlines he makes, when the crunch has come he hasn't performed. His Ashes average says it all, plus his tendancy to get in and not go on in the big games is as worrying as his ability to score ducks :

Bopara vs Australia/Pakistan

Ducks : 4
1-8 : 3
9-17 : 0
18-35 : 5
36+ : 0

Reached 18-35 FIVE times and got out before he made 40, bowled out for a duck or single figures the other seven times. I know it's hard to average 12.25 with impressive scores, but frankly having got to 20 in 1/3 of his innings, he needed to make 40-50 at least once. Pakistan may give him second chances, down under the aussies will have his number. So in the shorter term this is probably a wise non-selection

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think the biggest threat for Pakistan is going to be Swann. Our batsman made an average offspinner like Hauritz look like Murali X 2 and gave away six wickets to North :eek:. Swann is hell lot better than the above two gentlemen and I expect him to really trouble Pakistanis. KP vs Asif was such an amazing sight last time Pakistan visited England. It will be a treat to see the this rivalry rekindled. Aamer should target English captain. If we can dismantle strauss early, it will deal a heavy blow to confidence of English team as a whole.
Last but not the least, I hope Umpiring is a lot better than the last English tour of Pakistan. Doctrove and Devil Hair were so lousy. I don't know who the official are this time round but I would hate to see Silly Doctrove officiating again.

Last edited:

Insomniac

Title Recipient
I think the biggest threat for Pakistan is going to be Swann. Our batsman made an average offspinner like Hauritz look like Murali X 2 and gave away six wickets to North :eek:. Swann is hell lot better than the above two gentlemen and I expect him to really trouble Pakistanis. KP vs Asif was such an amazing sight last time Pakistan visited England. It will be a treat to see the this rivalry rekindled. Aamer should target English captain. If we can dismantle strauss early, it will deal a heavy blow to confidence of English team as a whole.
Last but not the least, I hope Umpiring is a lot better than the last English tour of Pakistan. Doctrove and Devil Hair were so lousy. I don't know who the official are this time round but I would hate to see Silly Doctrove officiating again.
Billy Doctrove and Ashoka de Silva.
But, we do have the UDRS.

Also, the fact that Swann is a very good spinner is a good sign in itself - as long as England don't bowl KP or Collingwood, we should be ok.

War

Chairman of Selectors
The last time PAK toured here in 2006, coming of beating England 2-0 in PAK. I remember all the hype going into that series was Pakistan pace attack (Akhtar/Asif/Naved/Gul) vs England Pace (Hoggard/Harmo/Jones/Flintoff). But due to injuries it never materialzed.

England's top 7 needle a thorough technical workout from a good pace attack going into the Ashes. The PAK pace trio bring just that. Cant wait..

Insomniac

Title Recipient
The last time PAK toured here in 2006, coming of beating England 2-0 in PAK. I remember all the hype going into that series was Pakistan pace attack (Akhtar/Asif/Naved/Gul) vs England Pace (Hoggard/Harmo/Jones/Flintoff). But due to injuries it never materialzed.

England's top 7 needle a thorough technical workout from a good pace attack going into the Ashes. The PAK pace trio bring just that. Cant wait..
Actually, due to the farcial umpiring, it never materialized - the 3rd test and 4th test should have been won by Pakistan.

4th test - obviously Pakistan were well in front, and the 3rd test, Pakistan should have had KP out twice I think, and he went on to make a huge score, which made the difference. Also Strauss and Cook and other batsman had more than 1-2 chances, it was just sad.

Let me find a video.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
Actually, due to the farcial umpiring, it never materialized - the 3rd test and 4th test should have been won by Pakistan.

4th test - obviously Pakistan were well in front, and the 3rd test, Pakistan should have had KP out twice I think, and he went on to make a huge score, which made the difference. Also Strauss and Cook and other batsman had more than 1-2 chances, it was just sad.

Let me find a video.

Yes I remember the umpiring in that series. One of those dismissal given not out was a huge inside edge from KP that was caught by Akmal and Doctrove gave it not out :facepalm. I just hope our players use the review system efficiently and effectively.
Coming to the match this Thursday, I wish Pakistan drops Kaneria. He bowled such rubbish. KP would murder him if he continues bowling this way. Ajmal would be a much better choice IMHO. Kaneria is treated like sacred cow for some reason. He averages 35 with ball and that is by no standards, extraordinary for an attacking leggie. England must have expected to play him this summer and facing Ajmal may be a bit of surprise for them. But going by our track record, I do not see our management make bold decisions and drop a crap bowler from the winning eleven.

Last edited:

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Well last time Pakistan as a whole was in form except their luck. I would love to see KP vs Kaneria as well as Kaneria might get form from KPs wicket.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
^Nah I don't think so. KP will toy with Kaneria. A bowler that bowls two craps balls an over will hardly trouble one the best batsmen around.

Users who are viewing this thread