Patch General discussion

I wonder if the AI hits it in the air as much as it does because it too can't beat the fielders?

Interesting thought that. If true then fielding issues would pertain too almost all issues other than bowling fatigue and amount of edges

Would love to hear comments from BA team on this, but maybe they don't want to speak too much until they have decided what to include in patch #2

If true then fielding issues would pertain too almost all issues other than bowling fatigue and amount of edges

Based on my hours of playtime, I'm confident almost all of the issues relating to batting difficulty and bowling anomolies, especially the ease of getting wickets, can be fixed by drastically toning down the field, sorting out the field-sets the AI can select from and fixing the ball-speed off the bat and/or the area fielders are able to cover to a more "human" level.

I've sat at the bowlers end and watched the AI carve a drive to mid on time after time and it constantly being stopped, then it simply belts it in the air to try and clear the same fielder and gets caught out via a one-handed diving-backward catch.

So I think they're scripted in a way to react when they're getting "bogged down" or, say the run-rate is reasonably high (usually in the 5's or 6's when I'm at the crease) so a few dot-balls to the Justice League in the field and they simply just throw the bat at it.

Certainly in 4 day matches where patience is required, the AI tends to look to reverse-sweep and be a little too aggressive than it should, but once again some of the field-sets are totally bizzare. You'll have a normal field-set for the human player, then it'll switch to "everyone around the bat" for the AI player who's on 74* off 100 deliveries...

I can't talk of what will be in patch#2 yet, it will be a major set of changes to what you have and importantly additions to gameplay as well (co-op and online tournaments).

I believe we will address all of the major issues being complained about.

Based on my hours of playtime, I'm confident almost all of the issues relating to batting difficulty and bowling anomolies, especially the ease of getting wickets, can be fixed by drastically toning down the field, sorting out the field-sets the AI can select from and fixing the ball-speed off the bat and/or the area fielders are able to cover to a more "human" level.

I've sat at the bowlers end and watched the AI carve a drive to mid on time after time and it constantly being stopped, then it simply belts it in the air to try and clear the same fielder and gets caught out via a one-handed diving-backward catch.

So I think they're scripted in a way to react when they're getting "bogged down" or, say the run-rate is reasonably high (usually in the 5's or 6's when I'm at the crease) so a few dot-balls to the Justice League in the field and they simply just throw the bat at it.

Certainly in 4 day matches where patience is required, the AI tends to look to reverse-sweep and be a little too aggressive than it should, but once again some of the field-sets are totally bizzare. You'll have a normal field-set for the human player, then it'll switch to "everyone around the bat" for the AI player who's on 74* off 100 deliveries...

spot on. fix the fielding (ability and sets), and you get so much else almost for free. it will fix heaps... you're spot on about the batting AI being affected by the field, seen it loads myself.

@BigAntStudios - For some perspective, how far back does work on what's now 'patch 2' go back?

Things like co-op I know you've mentioned for a while now - so is this patch a product of work as far back as say October or whenever you reached final status on the original submissions?

I suppose a lot of people are worried about how much progress you can make in the month or so left of development time, but it sounds like there was already work in place for fixing a lot of these things, but you were just awaiting some feedback on the released game to do final tuning of things.

spot on. fix the fielding (ability and sets), and you get so much else almost for free. it will fix heaps... you're spot on about the batting AI being affected by the field, seen it loads myself.

If you guys havent tried removing and never using deep and regular mid on and off then do it.

Its like a new game. Honestly.

Its not the most elegant solution but it really works nicely so far.

I only play T20 so Im not sure of the effect on other modes but I cant imagine why it wouldnt do the same.

You can still have long off and long on to cover the boundaries in that direction so you dont get too slammed. But there are much fewer silly catches and run outs.

Im really enjoying it.

I suppose a lot of people are worried about how much progress you can make in the month or so left of development time

100% this. Especially in Career mode where 75% of things that go on are at the AI's whim.

...especially regarding the fielding AI and the default fielding sets, because that stuff is in need of a bit more than a band-aid and more of a complete overhaul. I liked @zimrahil's idea of having T20, ODI and TEST pre-set options to select from, rather than a whole range of, frankly, bizzare options for certain formats.

Cold and dark is the day you need two slips for a T20 match in the 17th over...

Winter is coming.

@BigAntStudios - For some perspective, how far back does work on what's now 'patch 2' go back?

Things like co-op I know you've mentioned for a while now - so is this patch a product of work as far back as say October or whenever you reached final status on the original submissions?

I suppose a lot of people are worried about how much progress you can make in the month or so left of development time, but it sounds like there was already work in place for fixing a lot of these things, but you were just awaiting some feedback on the released game to do final tuning of things.

I think you saw the tournament mode on the Steam version when you walked by QA - co-op and online tournaments were always to be a patch, plus various bug fixed.

We're working around the clock and trying to check the changes to the outcomes with regard to the game balance, there are a few bugs to fix as well of course.

All of the elements are there, it is just tweaking. Batting, fielding, bowling is interdependent and so changing anything has broad effect.

100% this. Especially in Career mode where 75% of things that go on are at the AI's whim.

...especially regarding the fielding AI and the default fielding sets, because that stuff is in need of a bit more than a band-aid and more of a complete overhaul. I liked @zimrahil's idea of having T20, ODI and TEST pre-set options to select from, rather than a whole range of, frankly, bizzare options for certain formats.

Cold and dark is the day you need two slips for a T20 match in the 17th over...

Winter is coming.

If they could just make the presets deletable/editable and even better also shareable It would help.

Could get some legit field settings with no dev effort at all.

If they could just make the presets deletable/editable and even better also shareable It would help.

Could get some legit field settings with no dev effort at all.

This +100

Only caveat being when editing field have to ensure any restrictions for that field are maintained
E.g. only 2 in outfield, only 2 behind square leg etc

Nah, I just saw a Steam window open with the game pre-loaded and the 'Play Now' button.

It was like a brief glimpse into a brilliant PC-based future.

Who would be the "go to" mod guy here? I want to make sure we expose as many files as makes sense (not the executable) or make the "blob set" as accessible as possible.

PC version box is stunning as are it's unique contents btw! ;)

*tries desperately to think of an inappropiate joke about Ross' "blob"*

Users who are viewing this thread