FOOTBALL PES 2010-- Discussion Thread

From PESFan:

AI 'automatic' actions no longer happen ie slide tackles, clearances

Thank God - no more penalties given away because the AI attempts a suicide-o-auto tackle!

They've just copied each, fifa and PES, with the 360 degrees stuff. Still a very important day for every soccer (or football) fan for their gaming choices.

Just installing now, taking a while. Heard reports that the responsiveness is a bit down, although that could also be to do with different hardware in people's PC's. Not to worried, WENB voiced heavy concerns about it in the August code, and say that these have been eradicated in the review copy they have.

I'm all set. Cracking headache from last night, 3 coffee's, a controller, and PES. It's like my own little shindig. :)

Help, the link madman posted does not work. Says full or something.

Scrap that working now.

Pathetic. It's just a shiny PES2009. Konami are still a set of complete lying bastards.

I figured I might as well post my thoughts on the demo. Upod downloading, I was dissapointed to read that the build was indeed a July one - probably due to screening processes that both Microsoft and Sony carry out for around a month before letting anything onto there stores. Barmy.

So, it could be anything from 70%-95% finished, nobody really knows. Not really Konami's fault, they would have had to submit a demo over a month ago for release sometime in September. Still, I've played it to death today, trying to keep an open mind.

I've been playing a lot of the FIFA10 demo on 360, so migrating back to PES with a PS2 style controller was difficult. It took me around an hour to get back in the flow as it were, once I'd got beyond the frustration of trying to flick the trick stick and the ball flying away on the manual pass.

Visuals and Presentation

PES has come on leaps and bounds in this department this year, it really does look stunning. The best thing about that however is the optimization. On my laptop, which is middle of the road, I'm running at 1680x1050, High details, 4xAA forced. It looks jaw droppingly good. The player models are, as you'd expect, imaculate. Watching Torres's hair flapping around as he runs is a joy. The new lighting is mostly good, except for at corners, where the glare can restrict your view of the penalty area. Needs addressing.

The menu's look fine, all very sleek. Loved the fact that there was no loading screen, although FIFA does a better job at keeping you occupied whilst you wait for a match, with the Arena.

Tactics etc.

Very often, people who play PES a lot are very fussy when it comes to tactics. I'm just the same, I need to make sure that everyone is where I want them to be, that my players are making the right moves at the right time. I therefore love the additions to the tactics, with the sliders allowing almost perfect tweaking to formations and attack/defense mindedness. I did the most blatant changes to test the system, bumping up to 100 the option for getting forward - basically meaning that when I had the ball, men were always aiming to get in front of the ball carrier.

My next breakaway from a corner showed the system in action, with Riera streaking up the centre. A quick ball over the top into his path allowed him to eventually round the keeper. I then switched it round, getting everyone behind the ball. Men were reluctant to get forward at all, opting to find space to give support for a pass, playing keep ball. I'd say the tactical changes are some of the most important additions ever in PES. And unlike some, they actually work, and work well.

Animation and 360 movement

Konami's big test was with animation this year. I hesitate to criticise, simply because of the age of the demo. However, you can only talk about what you see. In a nutshell, it's hit and miss. When it works, it looks brilliant. Rounding a defender with a perfectly timed feignt is fabulous. Sadly, it's the collision system which really knocks PES down a few notches. Theres still only 5 or 6 tackle animations, which is grinding me already after a few hours. There's no real system in place to fight for the ball, there's no real fight for the ball in this respect. You can't really bully teams, it's easier to just run into the ball and wait for the lack of a collision system to put it at your feet.

The 360 movement is more noticeable than in FIFA10 PC, yet not as fruitful as in FIFA10 on 360/PS3, simply because the animations aren't up to the task. Whether this has been addressed in the final version, I just dont know, but skipping round men returns to that robotic look everytime. I have enjoyed been able to run at men and beat them by jinking through gaps, but that brings me onto the biggest problem with the demo.

Responsiveness

The game speed has been slowed, and as a result, a problem has arisen in the form of responsiveness of the players. I always felt it needed taming in PES, but they appear to have gone to far. WEND report that the review code has this fixed, which I think would improve the game many times over. At the moment, there's little way of getting off a quick shot, the game simply can't keep up with your input on the controller.

Ball Physics, Shooting, Passing

This is the strong point of the game, and it's such a shame the animation isn't on a par. The ball is perfect in my eyes, reacting realistically to any situation. It feels like a seperate entity, and that's an important thing to have. Shooting is excellent, long range strikes can go like a train, yet the control of R2/RT on shots in the penalty area can bring some great finishes. The game encourages you to pass around with the speed, and it's pretty consistent. However, the responsiveness issue is the main crux of the problems.

Goalkeepers

Sack the team who works on them. Now. They range from superstars to complete tits. One minute they'll be diving full length to stop a ball looking destined for the top corner, the next they'll parry a weak shot straight back to the striker for a tap in. More continuity needed in that area.

The Sum Up

I'd describe PES 2010 thus. It's taken the poise and speed of PES5, the shooting and passing of PES6, and sadly, the stiffness of PES08 and 09. However, did I have fun with it? I did indeed, I enjoyed it greatly. I'm going to wait for release, assess the changes Konami have made.

If it is a July build, it's a very good foundation.

If it isn't, and is basically what is going to be released next month, I'm dissapointed, and suggest that Konami review there strategy towards the series.

However, I remain ever the optimist. I disagree with Madman - I do not think this is anywhere near as bad as PES08, and it's quite a bit better than the often bashed yet rather good PES09.

Pathetic. It's just a shiny PES2009. Konami are still a set of complete lying bastards.

I have to disagree. It may look similar, but it plays so, so differently.

Nice review Ping, i will post my thoughts when the demo has finished downloading.

Everyone on here knows how much of a fan of PES i've always been, but this edition is just the final straw. It's still awful. I really thought Konami had learned their lesson, i really thought 2010 would be the year that PES was truly back. But now all I really believe is that it's just PES 2009 with knobs on. So disapointed.

Yay! Such lovely download speeds. Konami, here's a hint, if you want to sell your product, make it slightly easier for people to try it. Amazed they don't host it themselves somewhere.

Seconded! Mine started at 2hrs 20mins from a nice, slow server at FileFront (it was the only one that wanted to work at all). 25mins to go now.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

The game is a joke, there's little or no individuality (which was PES' strong point), the responsiveness is crap, and there's no way 360 degree dribbling is in as you can run in a perfect line up the touchline, the fully automated everything means passes go to the wrong player way too often and countless other things which make the game very dated and unrealistic... it's like going back in time playing it.

I really don't see what people can see in PES now, I keep trying the demo in the hope i'll begin to like it, but I just find myself disliking it more and more...

Unless you're a PC gamer, I don't see much reason to play it.

It's the only choice for PC gamers, but if you have a console, jump on Fifa 10!

I think they said that this was a build from July/August over at PESFan. That's good in some ways, but bad in others. It's bad because a demo should be representative of the full game and if it's that old, then it most certainly won't be!

Having spent a good couple of hours more on the game now I retract my previous statements. It is an improvement on 09 and I actually am really enjoying playing it. The animations still feel dated but some of the new little tweaks involved make it a definite improvement.

In short, I was rash in my assumption before. It's not perfect, but it's still a good game. I'm hoping it is very early code as well. The advantage of PES is that it's only out late October/early November so i'll probably be bored of FIFA by the time it comes out anyway.

^^ Good lad matt, i always knew you had good taste.

Had 1 quick game. I refuse to play demo's much as i still play 09 online with a mate, if i play 10 too much, ill stop with 09.

Anyhoo, i was impressed with the graphics, huge improvement from 09, super sexy at 1920x1200. Not sure if aa works, but there aren't any edges. Can't say too much but i know I'm going to like it.

I had a quick look at the tactics. Wow, i may as well be playing FM. Cannot wait to get the full game and play around and create my own basic tactic, all out attack tactic and see out the game tactic.

I'll probably play it a couple more times, then retire it until the full version comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread