Post your questions about the game here!

If you're a cricket or sports game fan, check out 2K's MLB stuff because it's well worth the investment

I remember playing Baseball on my 8-bit Mitashi console (I think the game cartridge was 64-in-1). At that time I had no idea what was going on. I just used to treat it like a different version of cricket. Learning the rules is the only issue here otherwise the gameplay video looks great.

Having played MLB 2k12 I can say that it really is one of the better sports games. Playing with a guy at 2nd or 3rd base with 2 out really gives you the chill. I am sure DBC 14 will do the same. The camera angle only adds to the tension!

hey biggs you should check out mlb the show 13 aswell, think you need to order it online as I don't think its available in Australian stores. that's a great baseball game, be awesome if DB14 is heading in that direction, cant wait to see more stuff revealed ross!

I've only ever played MLB11 ...but I've heard good things about a lot of the newer titles as well. Innovation is always good and Cricket as a franchise has been in dire need of it for some time. It's the only way we'll get evolution of the product. Even more interested now for Matt's tour whenever it happens...

It is how we are used to seeing cricket on TV and generally viewing it, that's why it feels right. At least with Broadcast view the ball is generally coming towards you or going to the side off the bat, it will feel a bit foreign in the instances where you edge the ball and they carry to slips....might be difficult if the catch has carried or been dropped. The whole ball coming off the bat from that angle could be better in some ways and in other ways feel way too strange. Hmmm

Bingo = public domain version of "this gut gets it(tm)"

I've always delivered beyond expectation so far on this game, I am going to need a little trust, and I say a little because soon enough you will see it for yourself.

The easy thing for us to do would put a camera behind the bowler and draw some lines on the pitch - that's not cricket, that's a quick time event.

Just checking: Every time you sneer/spit at the way all massively successful Cricket games have done things for the last 20 years, you know that you ratchet that expectation up yet another little notch, AS WELL as go sliding down my Xmas card list? :)

In his defense, I didn't read any sneering or spitting and if it wasn't for evolution and rethinking of game-presentations and layouts we'd all still be playing side-scrollers on NES...

In his defense, I didn't read any sneering or spitting and if it wasn't for evolution and rethinking of game-presentations and layouts we'd all still be playing side-scrollers on NES...
Which would be terrible.

Side-scrollers on the Master System on the other hand :thumbs!

Last edited:
Super Mario Cricket.

[if I had the energy I would've photoshopped that but I'll just say it because I'm in a lousy lazy mood]

Just checking: Every time you sneer/spit at the way all massively successful Cricket games have done things for the last 20 years, you know that you ratchet that expectation up yet another little notch, AS WELL as go sliding down my Xmas card list? :)

The quality of games is not determined by awards or sales.

If anything, the bowling and batting mechanics degraded with time. In IC2010 you had hookshots off yorkers and a horrible bowling mechanic, for reasons I've discussed recently.

Games need to evolve. NHL games changed from using buttons to shoot to flicking the joysticks about 6-7 years ago, which revolutionalised the game. Basketball games have something similar with the jumping. FIFA moved from 8 degree movement to full 360.

In the mid 90s (within the 20 years you mention) shooting games didn't even use the mouse. Platformers were all 2D.

Cricket games have gone stale. Fresh blood is needed!

The quality of games is not determined by awards or sales.

If anything, the bowling and batting mechanics degraded with time. In IC2010 you had hookshots off yorkers and a horrible bowling mechanic, for reasons I've discussed recently.

Games need to evolve. NHL games changed from using buttons to shoot to flicking the joysticks about 6-7 years ago, which revolutionalised the game. Basketball games have something similar with the jumping. FIFA moved from 8 degree movement to full 360.

In the mid 90s (within the 20 years you mention) shooting games didn't even use the mouse. Platformers were all 2D.

Cricket games have gone stale. Fresh blood is needed!

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my point - ABSOLUTELY revolution is great and I applaud it totally.
My point was, with only 6 weeks to go before we all have it in our hands, why push expectation even HIGHER by rubbishing how all the other games worked? :)

Oh, also totally agree on your first point: As I've said elsewhere, success for me is a combination of critical and commercial success (with a slight weighting depending on the objective).

Last edited:
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough on my point - ABSOLUTELY revolution is great and I applaud it totally.
My point was, with only 6 weeks to go before we all have it in our hands, why push expectation even HIGHER by rubbishing how all the other games worked? :)

I suppose it's pre-empting Ashes 2013 having the same stale system but with "line and length" and "randomisation" buzzwords added.

----------

Oh, also totally agree on your first point: As I've said elsewhere, success for me is a combination of critical and commercial success (with a slight weighting depending on the objective).

I think commercial success is essential because it allows future games to be made better, but it's definitely possible to make crap games that sell well (particularly when licensed).

My point was, with only 6 weeks to go before we all have it in our hands, why push expectation even HIGHER by rubbishing how all the other games worked...

Well, no official release date that we know of yet, but I guess that's the money-where-you-mouth-is angle to DBC14. For me everything so far to date has lived up to or exceeded expectations. Under-promising and over-delivering or lowering the bar don't strike me as phrases in the BigAnt handbook... I couldn't imagine they would approach a presentation redesign or total camera-overhaul without reasoned, researched logic behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread